Total views : 292
Effect of Seed Loading and Temperature of Seeding on Carbamazepine-Saccharin Co-Crystal
Objectives: In pharmaceutical industries, the properties of desired final crystal can be modified by seeding process. Seeding activities depend on seed loading, seed size, seed quality and the temperature of supersaturated solution at the time of seed addition. The effect of amount of seed and temperature of seeding on crystallisation and size distribution of carbamazepine-saccharin (CBZ-SAC) co-crystals have been investigated. Methods/Statistical Analysis: 0.5, 1.0 and 1.5 wt% seeds of constant size were added to the metastable zone width region during cooling crystallisation at seeding temperatures of 38.45, 40.35, 42.25, 44.15 and 46.05 oC. Findings: During the crystallisation process of CBZ-SAC co-crystal, nucleation occurred faster when seeding is close to the super solubility curve which is at the highest supersaturation. Crystal size distribution (CSD) results showed more fine particles formed at 38.45oC seed temperature. On the other hand, nucleation occurred slower when seeding is close to the solubility curve, which is at low supersaturation and therefore resulted in less number of fine particles formed. Application: Nucleation of CBZ-SAC co-crystals can be controlled easily by seeding, in which the addition of seed expedites the crystallisation process by providing the surface area for crystals to grow. The size and characteristic of the desired crystal can be adjusted via seeding application.
Carbamazepine-Saccharin, CSD, Co-Crystal Seeding, Seed Loading, Seeding Temperature.
- Ghadi R, Ghuge A, Ghumre S, Waghmare N, Kadam VJ. Co-Crystals: Emerging Approach in Pharmaceutical Design. Indo American Journal of Pharmaceutical Reserach. 2014; 4(7):3881–92.
- Duggirala NK, Perry ML, Almarsson Ö, Zaworotko MJ. Pharmaceutical Cocrystals: Along the Path to Improved Medicines. Chemical Communication. 2016; 52:640–55. https://doi.org/10.1039/C5CC08216A PMid:26565650
- Hattori Y, Sato M. Otsuka M. Initial Dissolution Kinetics of Cocrystal of Carbamazepine with Nicotinamide. The Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology. 2015; 67(11):1512– 8. https://doi.org/10.1111/jphp.12461 PMid:26285918
- Ulrich J. Jones MJ. Industrial Crystallization Process Monitoring and Control.Wiley-VCH Verlag & Co. KGaA; 2012.p.127–38.
- Gagniere E, Mangin D, Veesler S, Puel F. Pharmaceutical Salts and Co-crystals. The Royal Society of Chemistry. 2012;188–211.
- Aamir E, Nagy ZK, Rielly CD. Optimal Seed Recipe Design for Crystal Size Distribution Control for Batch Cooling Crystallisation Processes. Chemical. Engineering Science. 2010; 65(11):3602–14. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ces.2010.02.051
- Mohammad KA, Abd Rahim S. Abu Bakar MR. Nucleation Kinetics of Carbamazepine-Saccharin (CBZ-SAC) Co-crystal. Proceedings of the International conference on Global sustainability and chemical Engineering, Springer; 2015.p.263.
- Mousaw P, Saranteas K, Prytko B. Crystallization Improvements of a Diastereomeric Kinetic Resolution through Understanding of Secondary Nucleation. Organic Process Research and Development. 2008; 12(2):243–8. https://doi.org/10.1021/op700276w
- Long B, Yang H, Ding Y. Impact of Seed Loading Ratio on the Growth Kinetics of Mono-Ammonium Phosphate under Isothermal Batch Crystallization. Korean Journal of Chemistry Engineering. 2016; 33(2):623–8. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11814-015-0173-0
- Liu JJ, Ma CY, Hu YD, Wang XZ. Effect of Seed Loading and Cooling Rate on Crystal Size and Shape Distributions in Protein Crystallization- A Study Using Morphological Population Balance Simulation. Computers & Chemical Engineering. 2010; 34(12): 1945–52. https://doi.org /10.1016/ j.compchemeng.2010.06.020
- Holaň J, Ridvan L, Billot P, Štěpánek F. Design of Co-Crystallization Processes with Regard to Particle Size Distribution. Chemical Engineering Science. 2015; 128:.36–43.
- O'Sullivan B, Smith B, Baramidze G. Recent Advances for Seeding a Crystallization Process. http://www.selectscience.net/downloads/articles/7764_2013_09_16_Seeding-A4.pdf. Date accessed:2013.
- Zhang F, Liu T, Huo Y, Guan R, Wang XZ. Investigation of the Operating Conditions to Morphology Evolution of β-l-Glutamic Acid during Seeded Cooling Crystallization. Journal of Crystal Growth.2016 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcrysgro.2016.09.041
- FluidChe 2017 Available from: http://fluidsche.ump.edu. my/index.php/en/
- The Center of Excellence for Advanced Research in Fluid Flow (CARIFF) Available from: http://cariff.ump.edu.my/
- Natural resources products prospects - International Conference on Fluids and Chemical Engineering FluidsChE 2017 Malaysia, ). Indian Journal of science and technology. 2017; S2(1).
- University Malaysia Pahang. Available from: www.ump.edu.my
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.