Total views : 139
An Elusive Method to Identify Isomorphism and Inversions of Kinematic Chains and Mechanisms
Objectives: To detect structural similarity i.e. isomorphism between the kinematic chains and the number of inversions i.e. distinct mechanisms possessed by a kinematic chain. Methods/Statistical Analysis: A shortest distance matrix and the corresponding relative shortest distance matrix are generated in a completely different manner. Thereafter a relative shortest distance string for each link is obtained whose similarity indicates number of inversions i.e. distinct mechanisms in a kinematic chain. Then relative shortest distance link value and the corresponding relative shortest distance chain value are obtained whose similarity indicates isomorphism between kinematic chains. Findings: The proposed method is applied to a family of 40 kinematic chains with 9 links and 2 degree of freedom. Relative shortest distance string table reveals that the total numbers of inversions i.e. distinct mechanisms are 254 and relative shortest distance chain value table indicates that all the chains of the family are not isomorphic. Many other methods have been applied, for the same family, in the past by many other researchers of repute and the results obtained by present method are in full consensus with the results of the previous researchers. The proposed method provides two unique structural invariants i.e. shortest distance string and relative shortest distance chain value as strongest and simplest tools for detection of isomorphism and number of inversions of kinematic chains. Application/Improvements: Like many other methods applied by our parent researchers, with due respect, the proposed method does not involve long and complicated calculations, therefore it is easy, efficient and reliable.
Elusive Method, Isomorphism, Inversion, Kinematic Chains, Mechanisms
- Uicker JJ, Raicu A. A method for identification and recognition of equivalence of kinematic chains. Mechanics of Machine Theory. 1975 Oct; 10(5):375-83.
- Mruthyunjaya TS, Raghavan MR. Structural Analysis of kinematic chains and Mechanism based on Matrix Representation. Transaction of ASME. Journal of Mechanical Design. 1979 Jul; 101(3):488-518. Crossref.
- Yan HS, Hall AS. Linkage characteristic polynomials: definition, coefficients by inspection. Transaction of ASME, Journal of Mechanical Design. 1981 July; 103(3):578-84.Crossref.
- Yan HS, Hwang WM. Linkage Path Code. Mechanics Machine Theory. 1984 July; 19(4):425-9. Crossref.
- Mruthyunjaya TS, Balasubramanian HR. In quest of a reliable and efficient computational test for detection of isomorphism in kinematic chains. Mechanics Machine Theory. 1987 Mar; 22(2):131-9. Crossref.
- Ambekar AG, Agrawal VP. Canonical Numbering of Kinematic Chains and Isomorphism Problem: Min Code.
- Mechanism and Machine Theory.1987 Sep; 22(5):453-61.Crossref,
- Agrawal VP, Rao JS. Structural Classification of Kinematic chains and Mechanisms. Mechanism and Machine Theory.1987 Sep; 22(5):489-96. Crossref.
- Rao AC, Varada Raju D. Application of the Hamming Number Technique to Detect Isomorphism among Kinematic Chains and Inversions. Mechanism and Machine Theory. 1991 Jan; 26(1):55-75. Crossref.
- Shin JK, Krishnamurthy S. On identification and canonical numbering of pin-jointed kinematic chains. Transaction of ASME, Journal of Mechanical Design. 1994 Mar; 116(1):182-8. Crossref.
- Chang Z, Zhang C, Yang Y, Wang Y. A new method to mechanism kinematic chain isomorphism identification.
- Mechanics Machine Theory. 2002 Apr; 37(4):411-7. Crossref.
- Agrawal VP, Rao JS. Identification and Isomorphism of Kinematic Chains and Mechanisms. Mechanics Machine Theory. 1989 Jul; 24(4):309-21. Crossref.
- Chu JK, Cao WQ. Identification of Isomorphism among Kinematic chains and Inversions using Link’s AdjacentChain-Table. Mechanics Machine Theory. 1994 Jan; 29(1):53-8. Crossref.
- Ding H, Huang Z. Isomorphism identification of graphs: Especially for the graphs of kinematic chains. Mechanics Machine Theory. 2009 Jan; 44(1):122-39. Crossref.
- Ding H, Huang Z. The establishment of the canonical perimeter topological graph of kinematic chains and isomorphism identification. ASME Journal of Mechanical Design. 2007 Sept; 129(9):915-23. Crossref.
- Rao AC. Application of fuzzy logic for the study of isomorphism, inversions, symmetry, parallelism and mobility in kinematic chains. Mechanics Machine Theory. 2000 Aug; 35(8):1103-16. Crossref.
- Zeng K, Fan X, Dong M, Yang P. A fast algorithm for kinematic chain isomorphism identification based on dividing and matching vertices. Mechanics Machine Theory. 2014 Feb; 72:25-38. Crossref.
- Cubillo JP, Wan J. Comments on Mechanism Kinematic Chain Isomorphism Identification Using Adjacent Matrices. Mechanics Machine Theory. 2005 Feb; 40(2):1319. Crossref.
- Ding H, Huang P, Yang W, Andres K. Automatic generation of the complete set of planar kinematic chains with up to six independent loops and up to 19 links. Mechanics Machine Theory. 2016 Feb; 96(1):75-93. Crossref.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.