Total views : 212
Small Signal Parameter Extraction and DC Simulation of Asymmetric Dual Channel AlGaN/GaN Heterojunction Field Effect Transistor
Objectives: This article reports extraction of small signal parameters and analysis of dc behavior of enhanced dual channel (DC) AlGaN/GaN HFET first time. Enhanced device for which small signal model proposed incorporates double channels, field plate and nucleation layer as additional feature for better reliability. Methods/Analysis: Direct method for small signal parameter extraction is employed using cold FET pinch off biasing at lower and upper frequency band. Lower frequency band for analysis is chosen to ensure extraction accuracy for parasitic capacitive elements of our proposed small signal model parameters. Also TCAD simulation environment is utilized for extensive analysis and characterization of device for dc and small signal performance. Findings: The small signal extrinsic and intrinsic parameters are extracted for the proposed device structure that can predict physical as well as RF performance correctly. Simulation results support clear insight about dc performance and functional reliability of device. Novelty/Improvements: Proposed model takes in to consideration most of the important parasitic as well as intrinsic components of device for extraction purpose. The method employed for model is capable for providing higher accuracy in comparison of other approaches. The extracted model and simulation results give clear insight about enhanced device performance in higher frequency range. The reported results are compared with latest published data and found to be in good agreement.
Dual Channel AlGaN/GaN HEMT, Double Channel HFET, RF Parameter Extraction, Small Signal Modeling.
- Mishra UK, Guidry M. Lateral GaN Devices for Power Applications (from kHz to GHz). In Power GaN Devices. Springer. 2017; 69–99. Crossref
- Ueda OJ, Pearton S. Materials and Reliability Handbook for Semiconductor Optical and Electron Devices. SpringerVerlag New York. 2013; 1–16. Crossref
- Peng ZM, Zheng YK, Wei K, Chen XJ, Lui XJ. X-band AlGaN/GaN HEMTs with high microwave power performance. Sci. China Phys. 2011; 54:442. Crossref
- Tiwat P, Lei P, Xinhua W, Sen H, Guoguo L, Tingting Y. Optimized power simulation of AlGaN/GaN HEMT for continuous wave and pulse applications. Journal of Semiconductors. 2015; 36(7):1–7.
- Duan XB,Yang TY. Breakdown voltage analysis for the new RESURF AlGaN/GaN HEMTs. Sci. China Inf Sci. 2012; 55:473. Crossref
- Calle F, Palacios T, Monroy E, Grajal J, Verdu M, Bougrioua Z. AlGaN/GaN HEMTs, materials, processing, and characterization. J Mater Sci. 2003; 14:271.
- Huq HF, Alam MT, Islam SK. Analysis of Temperature Model on Device Characteristics for AlGaN/GaN MODFET for High Power Electronics. In Proc Int Semiconductor Device Research Symp. 2005 Dec; 250–1. Crossref
- Jarndal A, Aflaki P, Degachi L, Birafane A, Kouki A, Negra R. On the large-signal modeling of AlGaN/GaN HEMTs for RF switching-mode power amplifiers design. In Proc Asia Pacific Microwave Conf. 2009 Dec. p. 2356–9. Crossref
- Ture E, Brüuckner P, Raay FV, Quay R, Ambacher O, Alsharef M. Performance and parasitic analysis of submicron scaled tri-gate AlGaN/GaN HEMT design. In Proc. 10th European Microwave Integrated Circuits Conf. (EuMIC). 2015 Sep. p. 97–100. Crossref
- Crupi G, Raffo A, Schreurs DMMP, Avolio G, Vadalà V, Di Falco S. Accurate GaN HEMT nonquasi-static large-signal model including dispersive effects. Microwave and Optical Technology Letters. 2011; 53:692–7. Crossref
- Yadav RK, Pathak P, Mehra RM. IV Characteristics and transconductance modeling for dual channel AlGaN/GaN MODFETs. IJRET. 2015; 4:430–6. Crossref
- Toufani S, Dousti M. Improved T-Shaped Gate Double Heterojunction AlGaN/GaN/InGaN/GaN HEMT-Based Wideband Flat LNA. IETE Journal of Research. 2016; 62:488–92. Crossref
- White PM, Healy RM. Improved equivalent circuit for determination of MESFET and HEMT parasitic capacitances from cold-FET measurements. IEEE Microw Guid Wave Lett. 1993; 3:453. Crossref
- Jarndal AH. Parasitic elements extraction of AlGaN/GaN HEMTs on SiC substrate using only pinch-off S-parameter measurements. In Proc 26th Int Conf Microelectronics (ICM). 2014 Dec. p. 13–6. Crossref
- Jarndal A, Essaadali R, Kouki AB. A Reliable Model Parameter Extraction Method Applied to AlGaN/GaN HEMTs. IEEE Transactions on Computer-Aided Design of Integrated Circuits and Systems. 2016 Feb; 35:211–9. Crossref
- Dambrine G, Alain C, Heliodore F, Playez E. A new method for determining the FET small-signal equivalent circuit. IEEE Trans Microw Theory Tech. 1988; 36:1151. Crossref
- Bhardwaj S, Rajan S, Volakis JL. Analytical and multiphysialnumerical models for plasma-waves in double and multiple channel HEMTs. In Proc IEEE Int Symp Antennas and Propagation APSURSI. 2016; 1–6. Crossref
- Bilbro GL, Trew RJ. A Five-Parameter Model of the AlGaN/ GaN HFET. IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices. 2015 Apr; 62:1157–62. Crossref
- Caddemi A, Crupi G, Donato N. A robost and fast procedure for the determination of the small signal equivalent circuit of HEMTs. Microelectronic Journal. 2004; 35:431. Crossref
- Du JF, Xu P, Small WK. Small signal modeling of AlGaN/ GaN HEMTs with consideration of CPW capacitances. Journal of Semiconductors. 2015; 36: 034009. Crossref
- Tayel MB, Yassin AH. An introduced neural network differential evolution model for small signal modeling of PHEMT. In International Conference of Electronic Computer Technology. 2009. p. 499. Crossref
- Jarndal A, Kompa G. A new small-signal modeling approach applied to GaN devices. IEEE Trans Microw Theory Tech.2005; 3440. Crossref
- Lai YL, Hsu KH. A new pinch off cold FET method to determine parasitic capacitance of FET equivalent circuit. IEEE Trans Microw Theory Tech. 2001; 49:2001.
- Minasian RA. simplified GaAs MESFET model to 10 GHz. Electron Lett. 1977; 13:49. Crossref
- Berroth M, Bosch R. High-frequency equivalent circuit of GaAs FET’s for large-signal applications. IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech. 1991; 39:24. Crossref
- Berroth M, Bosch R. Broad-band determination of the FET small signal equivalent circuit. IEEE Trans Microwave Theory Tech. 1990; 38:891. Crossref
- Jea TRD, Ta PRS, Rohde UL. A new and reliable direct parameter extraction method for MESFETS and HEMTs. Proceedings of 23rd Europeon Microwave Conference, Madrid. 1993. p. 451.
- Teng M, Yue H, Chi C, Xiaohua M. A new small-signal model for asymmetrical AlGaN/GaN HEMTs. Journal of Semiconductors. 2010; 31:064002. Crossref
- Silvaco. ATLAS User’s Manual. 4701, Patrick Henery Drive, bldg.1,Santa Clara, CA 95054. 2009 Sep; 1-1.
- Hartin O, Green B. AlGaN/GaN HEMT TCAD simulation and model extraction for RF applications. In 2010 IEEE Bipolar/BiCMOS Circuits and Technology Meeting (BCTM). 2010 Oct; 232–6.
- Le Y, Yingkui Z, Sheng Z, Lei P, Ke W, Xiaohua M. Smallsignal model parameter extraction for AlGaN/GaN HEMT. Journal of Semiconductors. 2016; 37:034003. Crossref
- Chu R, Zhou Y, Liu J, Wang D, Chen KJ, Lau KM. AlGaNGaN double-channel HEMTs. IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices. 2005 Apr; 52:438–46. Crossref
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.