Total views : 202
Improvement of PVDF-co-HFP Hollow Fiber Membranes for Direct Contact Membrane Distillation Applications
Objectives: Investigation the influence of PVP added into the dope solution with (0, 5, 7 and 9) wt. % on membrane characteristics, structure and performance for DCMD system. Determine the impact of process operating parameters on the performance of the (PVDF-co-HFP) hollow fibre membrane in DCMD applications such as hot feed temperature. Methods/ Statistical analysis Prepared and fabrication a PVDF-co-HFP hollow fibre membrane using a various parentage of PVP (0, 5, 7 and 9 wt. %) as a pore former into the dope solution. Characterisation the structure and morphology of the (PVDF-co- HFP) membrane via FESEM technique. Investigating the performance of the PVDF-co-HFP hollow fiber membrane through a DCMD system. Improvement of PVDF-co-HFP hollow fibers through the adding of PVP molecules into the dope solution was studied. Finding The addition of 5, 7, and 9 wt. % PVP into the dope solution resulted in repressed the sponge-like shapes and promoted the forming of two finger-like shapes. Modified the pore area per unit surface area (porosity) and the pore structure of the synthesized hollow fibres. The pore size of the hollow fibre was enhanced with the addition of 9 wt. % PVP into the dope solution. The PVDF-co-HFP fibres permeate flux with PVP additives was superior to that neat PVDFco- HFP by about 75% at feed temperature (Tf) of 70 °C. The rejected salt factor for all PVDF-co-HFP hollow fibres was over 99.98%. The increase of hot feed temperature led to increased permeation flux for the DCMD process. Application/Improvements: Outcomes give a good indication for the improvement of PVDF-co-HFP hollow fiber via adding the PVP particles onto the dope solution. It can be concluded that the PVDF-co-HFP hollow fiber appropriate for use in DCMD application for seawater desalination.
Hollow Fiber, DCMD, Permeate Flux, PVDF-co-HFP, PVP Additives.
- Khayet M. Membranes and theoretical modeling of membrane distillation: a review. Advances in Colloid and Interface Science. 2011; 164(1–2):56–88. Crossref.
- Khalifa A, Ahmad H, Antar M, Laoui T, Khayet M. Experimental and theoretical investigations on water desalination using direct contact membrane distillation. Desalination. 2017; 404:22–34. Crossref.
- García-Payo MDC, Essalhi M, Khayet M. Preparation and characterization of PVDF–HFP copolymer hollow fiber membranes for membrane distillation. Desalination. 2009; 245(1):469–73. Crossref.
- Shi L, Wang R, Cao Y, Liang DT, Tay JH. Effect of additives on the fabrication of poly (vinylidene fluoride-co-hexafluropropylene) (PVDF-co-HFP) asymmetric microporous hollow fiber membranes. Journal of Membrane Science. 2008; 315:195–204. Crossref.
- Sadrzadeh M, Bhattacharjee S. Rational design of phase inversion membranes by tailoring thermodynamics and kinetics of casting solution using polymer additives. Journal of Membrane Science. 2013; 441:31–44. Crossref.
- Chuang W-Y, Young T-H, Chiu W-Y, Lin C-Y. The effect of polymeric additives on the structure and permeability of poly (vinyl alcohol) asymmetric membranes. Polymer. 2000; 41:5633–41. Crossref.
- Su C-I, Shih J-H, Huang M-S, Wang C-M, Shih W-C, Liu Y-S. A study of hydrophobic electrospun membrane applied in seawater desalination by membrane distillation. Fibers and Polymers. 2012; 13:698–702. Crossref.
- Wan L-S, Xu Z-K, Huang X-J, Che A-F, Wang Z-G. A novel process for the post-treatment of polyacrylonitrile-based membranes: Performance improvement and possible mechanism. Journal of Membrane Science. 2006; 277(1):157–64. Crossref.
- Qtaishat M, Khayet M, Matsuura T. Novel porous composite hydrophobic/hydrophilic polysulfone membranes for desalination by direct contact membrane distillation. Journal of Membrane Science. 2009; 341:139–48. Crossref.
- Ismail AF, Hassan AR. Effect of additive contents on the performances and structural properties of asymmetric polyethersulfone (PES) nanofiltration membranes. Separation and Purification Technology. 2007; 55:98–109. Crossref.
- García-Payo MC, Essalhi M, Khayet M. Effects of PVDFHFP concentration on membrane distillation performance and structural morphology of hollow fiber membranes. Journal of Membrane Science. 2010; 347(1–2):209–19. Crossref.
- Devi S, Ray P, Singh K, Singh PS. Preparation and characterization of highly micro-porous PVDF membranes for desalination of saline water through vacuum membrane distillation. Desalination. 2014; 346:9–18. Crossref.
- FluidsChe [Internet]. 2017. Available from: http://fluidsche.ump.edu.my/index.php/en/.
- The Center of Excellence for Advanced Research in Fluid Flow (CARIFF) [Internet]. Available from: http:// cariff.ump.edu.my/
- Ranganathan B, Gajendran N. Fluid flow dynamics in Chemical Engineering, Vol – 1. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2017, 10(2). doi:10.17485/ijst/2017/ v10i2/110850.
- University Malaysia Pahang [Internet]. Available from: www.ump.edu.my
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.