Total views : 137
Kinetic Studies of Free Fatty Acid Esterification using Cation Exchange Resins as Catalyst
Objective: The aim of this work is to study the kinetics of Free Fatty Acid (FFA) esterification using cation exchange resins with different polymer structure arrangement as catalysts. Methods/Statistical Analysis: In this current work, cation exchange resins (i.e. Sulphonated Hypercrosslinked Exchange Resin (SHER), RCP160M and SK104H) were employed as catalysts in free fatty acid (FFA) esterification of Simulated Used Cooking Oil (SUCO). The kinetic models, pseudohomogenous (PH), Langmuir-Hinshelwood-Hougen-Watson (LHHW) and Eley-Rideal (ER) model were used to correlate the experimental data. The kinetic parameters i.e., the rate constant, adsorption coefficients and activation energy were determined using the non-linear regression analysis in POLYMATH 6.10 program. Findings: The kinetic results revealed that the esterification reaction of SUCO using SHER was successfully fitted with LHHW model, whereas for RCP160M and SK104H the experimental data was well fitted by the ER model (Case II) and ER model (Case I) respectively. The activation energy, Ea was observed to be 48.8, 37.2 and 45.3 kJ mol-1 for SHER, RCP160M and SK104H, which the reaction step were governed by chemical step (Ea> 15 kJ mol-1) and there is no mass transfer limitation occurred during the reaction. Application/Improvements: From the findings, the newly synthesized SHER was found to be a promising catalyst in the esterification of FFA.
Cation Exchange Resin, Esterification, Free Fatty Acid, Kinetics, Simulated used Cooking Oil.
- Tesser R, Di Serio M, Guida M, Nastasi M, Santacesaria E. Kinetics of oleic acid esterification with methanol in the presence of triglycerides. Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research. 2005 Sep; 44(21):7978–82. Available from: Crossref
- Yunus NM, Roslan NA, Chin SY, Abidin SZ. Esterification of free fatty acid in used cooking oil using gelular exchange resin as catalysts. Procedia Engineering. 2016;7978–82. Available from: Crossref
- Nandiwale KY, Bokade VV. Process optimization by response surface methodology and kinetic modelling for synthesis of methyl oleate biodiesel over H3PW12O40 Anchored Montmorillonite K10. Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research. 2014 March; 53(49):18690–8. Crossref
- Narkhede N, Patel A. Biodiesel production by esterification of oleic acid and transesterification of soybean oil using a new solid acid catalyst comprising 12-Tungstosilicic acid and zeolite Hß. Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research. 2013; 52(38):13637–44. Available from: Crossref
- Brahmkhatri V, Patel A. 12-Tungstophosphoric acid anchored to SBA-15: An efficient, environmentally benign reusable catalysts for biodiesel production by esterification of free fatty acids. Applied Catalysis A: General. 2011; 403(1-2):161–72. Available from: Crossref
- Patel A, Narkhede N. 12-Tungstophosphoric acid anchored to zeolite Hß: Synthesis, characterization, and biodiesel production by esterification of oleic acid with methanol. Energy and Fuels. 2012; 26(9):6025–32. Crossref
- Sarkar A, Ghosh SK, Pramanik P. Investigation of the catalytic efficiency of a new mesoporous catalyst SnO2/ WO3 towards oleic acid esterification. Journal of Molecular Catalysis A: Chemical. 2010; 327(1-2):73–9. Available from: Crossref
- Tesser R, Casale L, Verde D, Di Serio M, Santacesaria E. Kinetics of free fatty acids esterification: Batch and loop rector modelling. The chemical Engineering Journal. 2009; 154(1):25–33. Available from: Crossref
- FluidChe 2017 official website. Crossref
- The Center of Excellence for Advanced Research in Fluid Flow (CARIFF) Crossref
- Chemical Engineering Allied Fields - International Conference on Fluids and Chemical Engineering FluidsChE 2017 Malaysia, Special Issue, Vol: 3. Indian Journal of science and technology. 2017; 10.
- University Malaysia Pahang. www.ump.edu.my
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.