Total views : 153
Effect of Si on the Magnetic and Mechanical Properties of Arc Melted Soft Magnetic Fe-Si-Al Alloys
Background/Objectives: To investigate the effect of silicon on structural, mechanical and magnetic properties of arc melted Fe-Si-Al sendust alloys. Our work focuses on studying the effect of Si on Fe lattice parameter, lattice strain and crystallite size. Variation of Vickers micro-hardness (HV) and magnetic susceptibility (with Si content and temperature) have also been investigated. Methods: Scanning Electronic Microscopy analysis confirmed high-density sendust materials synthesized by arc melting. However, analysis of x-ray diffraction data on arc-melted sendust samples were used to calculate the lattice parameters, lattice strain and crystallite size. Magnetic susceptibility measurements were performed using the Faraday balance technique, whereas Vickers micro hardness (HV) tests were proceeded using a Digital Micro- Vickers Hardness Tester (HVD-1000). Findings: Increasing silicon enhances significantly Vickers micro-hardness (HV). Magnetic susceptibility, under 0.5T, showed a composition and temperature dependent behaviour over Si content. Si decreases the lattice parameter of α-Fe solid solution matrix since it occupies substitution sites, decreases the crystallite size by retarding its growth during cooling.
Fe-Al-Si, Fe Solid Solution, Ordered DO3 (α1-Fe3Si0.7Al0.3) Phase, Magnetic Susceptibility, Order-Disorder Transition, Sendust Alloys (Sendust Materials), Vickers Micro-Hardness
- Shokrollahi H, Janghorban K. Soft magnetic composite materials (SMCs). Journal of Materials Processing Technology.2007 Jul; 189(1/3):1–12. Crossref
- Lee SJ, Snyder JE, Lo CCH, Campo KM, Andere JW, Jiles DC. Influence of nanostructure and nitrogen content on the optical and electrical properties of reactively sputtered FeSiAl(N) films. Journal of Applied Physics. 2003; 94:2607.Crossref
- Zhong X, Liu Y, Li J, Wang Y. Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials. Structure and magnetic properties of FeSiAl-based soft magnetic composite with AlN and Al2O3 insulating layer prepared by selective nitridation and oxidation.2012 Aug; 321(17):2631–6.
- Takahashi M, Arai H, Wakiyama T. Magnetostriction constants for Fe-Al-Si (Sendust) single crystals with DO3ordered structure. IEEE Transactions on Magnetics. 1987; 23(5):3523–5. Crossref
- Kasama AH, Bolfarini C, Kiminami CS, Filho WJ. Magnetic properties evaluation of spray formed and rolled Fe–6.5 wt.% Si–1.0 wt.% Al alloy. Materials Science and Engineering.2007 Mar; 375–7. Crossref
- Novak P, Knotek V, Voderova M, Kubasek J, Serak J, Michalcova A, Vojtech D. Intermediary phases formation in Fe-Al-Si alloys during reactive sintering. Journal of alloys and Compounds. 2010; 497:90–4. Crossref
- Khafri AM, Mahmudi R. The effect of preheating on the formability of an Al–Fe–Si alloy sheet. Journal of Materials Processing Technology. 2005 Oct; 169(1):38–43. Crossref
- Judkins RR, Rao US. Fossil energy applications of intermetallic alloys. Intermetallics. 2000; 8:1347–54. Crossref
- Zuo B, Saraswati N, Sritharan T, Hng HH. Production and annealing of nanocrystalline Fe-Si and Fe–Si–Al alloy powders. Materials Science and Engineering: A. 2004 Apr; 371(1/2):210–6. Crossref
- Steinbauer M. Magnetic susceptibility measurement by means of MRI technic. Ph.D Thesis, Faculty of Electrical Enginering and Communication, Brno University of Technology, Brno. 2005; 1:1–6.
- Takahashi M. Magnetic Properties of Iron-Silicon-Aluminium Alloy Single Crystals. (paper in Japanes). Kotai Butsuri. 1986; 21:259–73.
- Ghosh G. Al-Fe-Si system. In: Light Metal Ternary Systems: Phase Diagrams, Crystallographic and Thermodynamic Data. Volume 11A2, series Landolt-Börnstein Group IV Physical Chemistry. 2005; 359–409.
- Chang YJ. An Electron Microscopic Investigation of OrderDisorder Transformation in a Fe-Si-Al (SENDUST) Alloy and its Dislocation Configurations. Acta Metallica.1982; 30:1185–92. Crossref
- Morris D.G. Gunther S. Order-Disorder Changes in Fe3Al Based Alloys and the Development of an Iron-Base alphaalpha’’ Superalloy. Acta materialia. 1996; 44 (7), 28472859 .
- Isonishi K, Tokizane M. Journal of the Japan Institute of Metals. 1986; 50:575. (paper in Japanese). Crossref
- Huyan F, Larker R, Rubin P, Hedstrom P. Effect of Solute Silicon on the Lattice Parameter of Ferrite in Ductile Irons.ISIJ International. 2014; 54(1):248–50. Crossref
- Selisski, Ya P. The Lattice Spacing of Solid Solutions of Fe, Si and Al Rich in Fe (in Russian). Zh. Fiz. Khim. 1946; 20:597–604.
- Sato H, Yamamoto H. The Behaviours of Fe-Al, Fe-Si and Fe-Al-Si Alloys Considered from the Standpoint of Ferromagnetic Supperlattice. Journal of the Physical Society of Japan. 1951; 6:65–6. Crossref
- Williamson GK, Hall WH. X-Ray line broadening from filed aluminium and wolfram. Acta Mettalurgica. 1953; 1:22–31. Crossref
- Schwarz RB, Shen TD, Harms U, Lillo T. Soft ferromagnetism in amorphous and nanocrystalline alloys. Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials. 2004; 12:223–30.Crossref
- Kalita MPC. Structural analysis of mechanically alloyed nanocrystalline Fe75Si15Al10 powders. Materials Letters.2007 Feb; 61(3):824–6. Crossref
- Moroni AEG, Wolf W, Hafner J, Podloucky R. Cohesive, structural, and electronic properties of Fe-Si compounds.Physical Review B. 1999; 59(20):12860. Crossref
- Busse H, Kandler J, Eltester B, Wandelt K, Castro GR, Hinarejos JJ, Segovia P, Chrost J, Michel EG, Miranda R. Metastable iron silicide phase stabilized by surface segregation on Fe3Si(100). Surface Science. 1997 Jun; 381(2/3):133–41.Crossref
- Senno H, Yanagiuchi Y, Satomi M, Hirota E, Hayakawa S. Newly developed Fe-Si-Al alloy heads by squeeze casting.IEEE Transactions on Magnetics. 1977; 13(5):1475–7.Crossref
- Yanagitani A, Murakami M, Yanagimoto M, Tanaka YJ. The Japan Institute of Metals. 1991; 30:551.
- Murakami M, Kanazawa R, Yanagitani A, Tanaka Y. Characteristics of Fe-9.6%Si-5.4%Al Alloy Produced By MetalInjection Molding with Gas-atomized Powder. Journal of the Japan Society of Powder and Powder Metallurgy. 1991; 38(6):820–3. Crossref
- Imaida Y. Hot isostatic pressing of sendust metal powders. Material research bulletin. 1992; 27:661–8. Crossref
- Saravanan R, Sellamuthu R. Determination of the Effect of Si Content on Microstructure, Hardness and Wear Rate of Surface-refined Al-Si Alloys. Procedia Engineering. 2014; 97:1348–54. Crossref
- BULLETIN NO.KMC-S1. MAGNETICS BUTLER, PA (USA). Available from: Crossref.
- Besnus MJ, Herr A, Meyer AJP. Magnetization of disordered cold-worked Fe-Al alloys up to 51 at.% Al. Journal of Physics F: Metal Physics. 1975; 5(11):2138–47. Crossref
- Makhlouf SA, Shiga M, Sumiyama K. Mossbauer study on non equilibrium disordered Fe-Al alloys produced by DC sputtering. Journal of Physics Society, Japan. 1991; 60:3537–42. Crossref
- Legarra E, Apinaniz E, Plazaola F. Influence of the orderdisorder transition on the magnetic properties of Fe75Al25-xSix. Intermetallics. 2016; 69:35–41. Crossref
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.