Total views : 191
A Novel Combined Color Channel and ISNT Rule Based Automatic Glaucoma Detection from Color Fundus Images
Background/Objectives: Glaucoma is an eye disease causing optic nerve damage and subsequently leading to progressive, irreversible vision loss. The need for early detection of glaucoma arises due to its asymptomatic and irreversible vision loss nature. For large scale screening of glaucoma, Color Fundus Images (CFI) is suitable due to its cost effectiveness. Therefore many works have been done toward automated glaucoma detection system by analyzing the Optic Nerve Head (ONH) from the CFI and calculating the Cup-to-Disk Ratio (CDR), a key indicator of glaucoma. Methods/Statistical Analysis: Unlike past works which relies on a single color channel for extracting the Optic Disk (OD) and Optic Cup (OC) used in CDR calculation, we propose a novel combined color channel and ISNT rule based automated glaucoma detection. Findings: The result shows that the proposed method betters single channel based giving an overall efficiency of more than 97%. Applications/Improvements: Screening of glaucoma at large scale by manual means requires skilled ophthalmologists which are scarce and also the cost of screening is very costly. Hence Computer-Aided Diagnosis (CAD) based automated glaucoma screening using CFI would be apt for large scale screening.
Cup-to-Disk Ratio, Color Fundus Images (CFI), Feature Extraction, Glaucoma.
- Glaucoma Research Foundation. Crossref.
- Quigley HA, Broman AT. The Number of People with Glaucoma Worldwide Brit, J. Ophthalmol. 2003 Mar; 90(3):262−67. Crossref PMCid:PMC1856963.
- Inoue N, Yanashima K, Magatani K, Kurihara T. Development of a Simple Diagnostic Method for the Glaucoma using Ocular Fundus Pictures. Engineering in Medicine and Biology 27th Annual Conference; 2005. p. 1−8. Crossref
- Joshi GD, Sivaswamy J, Krishnadas SR. Optic Disk and Cup Segmentation from Monocular Retinal Images for Glaucoma Assessment, IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging. 2011 Jun; 30(6):1192−205. Crossref PMid:21536531.
- Murthi A, Madheswaran M. Enhancement of Optic Cup to Disc Ratio Detection in Glaucoma Diagnosis, International Conference on Computer Communication and Informatics; 2012. p. 1-5. Crossref
- Joshi G Sivaswamy, Krishnadas SR. Depth Discontinuitybased Cup Segmentation from Multi-View Colour Retinal Images, IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering. 2012; 56(6):1523−31.
- Ahmad H. Yamin A, Shakeel A, Gillani, SO, Ansari U. Detection of Glaucoma using Retinal Fundus. Images in International Conference on Robotics and Emerging Allied Technologies in Engineeri; 2014. p. 321−24.
- Alghmdi H, Tang HL, Hansen M, Shea AO, Turk LA, Peto T. Measurement of Optical Cup-to-Disc Ratio in Fundus Images for Glaucoma Screening, International Workshop on Computational Intelligence for Multimedia Understanding; 2015. p. 1−5.
- Vijapur NA, Rao Kunte SR. Glaucoma Detection by using Pearson-R Correlation Filter. International Conference on Communications and Signal Processing; 2015. p. 1194−98. Crossref
- Shekhar S, Al-Nuaimy W, Nandi AK. Automated Localization of Retinal Optic Disk using Hough Transform; 2008 May. p. 1577−80.
- Yin F, Liu J, Wong KWK, Tan NM, Cheung C, Bhaskaran M, Wong TY. Automated Segmentation of Optic Disk and Optic Cup in Fundus Images for Glaucoma Diagnosis, 25th International Symposium on Computer base Medical System; 2012 Jun. p. 1−6.
- Aquino A, Gegundez-Arias ME, Marin D. Detecting the Optic Disk Boundary in Digital Fundus Images using Morphological Edge Detection and Feature Extraction Techniques, IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging. 2010 Nov; 29(11):1860−69. Crossref PMid:20562037.
- Liu J, Wong D, Lim J, Li H, Tan N, Wong T. Argali- an Automatic Cup-to-Disc Ratio Measurement System for Glaucoma Detection and Analysis Framework; 2009. 7260, p. 1-11.
- Joshi GD, Sivaswamy J, Karan K, Krishnadas R. Optic Disk and Cup Boundary Detection using Regional Information, International Symposium on Biomedical Imaging; 2010. p. 948−51. Crossref
- Sivaswamy J, Krishnadas SR, Chakravarty A, Joshi GD, Jain M, Tabish AU. A Comprehensive Retinal Image Dataset for the Assessment of Glaucoma from the Optic Nerve Head Analysis; 2014. p. 1−7.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.