Total views : 170
Tuning of PID Parameters by Integrated Taguchi Approach
Objectives: The effectiveness of Taguchi approach of tuning of PID controller by traditional hit and trail method is presented. Methods/Statistical Analysis: In multiple input parameter process, for obtaining the best output, one method is to conduct all possible experiments covering the entire range of parameters, a times, resulting in a huge number of experiments. To reduce the number of experimentation, a representative sample of experiments may be chosen and analyzed. Taguchi arrays helps selects the subset in such a way that ensures that all levels of all factors are represented equally. Findings: It has been shown that tuning of PID parameters by traditional hit and trial approach can be improved and made more effective by implementing the process with Taguchi approach. Using Taguchi's Method nearly best result can be obtained using lesser number of experimentations. Results thus obtained are authenticated by comparing them with those obtained by Exhaustive Search i.e. by conducting the entire set of experiments involving all possible combinations of the input parameters at different levels. Application/Improvements: Taguchi method helps achieve the target by conducting lesser number of experiments, thus saving on time, effort and cost, without compromising on the quality of result.
Design Constraints, Orthogonal Array, PID Tuning, Taguchi Approach.
- Ziegler JG, Nichols NB. Optimum settings for automatic controllers. Transactions of the ASME; 1942. p. 759–68.
- Wang QG, Lee TH, Fung HW, Bi Q, Zhang Y. PID tuning for improved performance. IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology. 1999Jul; 7(4):457–65. Crossref
- Tripathi K, Bhandari S. IMC based tuning method of PID controller for DC motor speed control. International Research Journal of Emerging Trends in Multidisciplinary. 2016 Jun; 2(6):11–5.
- Katsuhiko Ogata Modern Control Engineering. 4th ed. Prentice Hall; 2002.
- Integration of the Finite Element Method and the Taguchi Method. Available from: http://www.ecs.umass.edu/mie/ labs/mda/fea/sankar/chap3.html
- Jou YT, Lin WT, Lee WC, Yeh TM. Integrating the Taguchi method and response surface methodology for process parameter optimization of the injection molding. Applied Mathematics and Information Sciences. 2014; 8(3):1277– 85. https://doi.org/10.12785/amis/080342
- Introduction to Taguchi Method. Available from: http:// www.ecs.umass.edu/mie/labs/mda.html
- Control4matlab. Available from: http://ctms.engin.umich.edu/CTMS
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.