Total views : 171
Three Dimensional Computational Flow Simulation of Truncated Aerospike Nozzle Considering Different Plug Lengths
Propulsive systems for planetary landing and ascent needs mass reduction since the cost of delivering the required propellant and structural mass is very high. Aerospike nozzle has demonstrated a significant potential advantage for purely in-space applications. This paper mainly concentrates on the CFD analysis of aerospike nozzle for 100%, 75%, 50% and 25% plug length with the CFD analysis at cases considering multiple altitudes representing ideal, under-expansion and over-expansion conditions of the flow had been carried out. ANSYS CFX was used to simulate the flow at these different conditions. The visualisation obtained through the CFD simulation was used to compare the performance of different spike lengths at different above mentioned operation conditions. A deduction had been made that at overexpansion condition the spike nozzle is efficient of producing five percent more thrust and the loss of the thrust is proportional to the truncation.
Aerospike Nozzle, CFD Analysis, Different Spike Plug Lengths
- Vinay L, Srinivasa Reddy K. Design and flow simulation of truncated aerospike nozzle. IJRET. 2014 Nov; 3(11):122– 31. eISSN: 2319-1163, pISSN: 2321-7308.
- Pearl JM, Louisos WF, Hitt DL. Three-dimensional numerical study of linear plug micro nozzles. AIAA SciTech 53rd AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting; Kissimmee, Florida.2015 Jan.
- Eilers SD, Wilson MD, Whitmore SA. Analytical and experimental evaluation of aerodynamic thrust vectoringon an aerospike nozzle. 46th AIAA/ASME/SAE/ASEE Joint Propulsion Conference and Exhibit. Nashville, TN.2010 Jul.
- Angelino G. Approximation method for plug nozzle design.AIAA Journal. 1964 Oct; 2(10):1834–5. Crossref
- Naghi LA, Nazarinia M, Tolouei E. Design and CFD analysis of an aerospike nozzle to compare its off-design performance with a conventional nozzle. Proceedings of IMEC 2004, International Mechanical Engineering Conference, IMEC 2004-FM014-CP; Kuwait. 2004 Dec.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.