Total views : 154
Prevention of Stealthy Attacks through Privacy Mechanism in Wireless Ad hoc Networks
Objectives: Stealthy attacks are a kind of attacks which injects route fabrication information and producing false identification in network. In this paper, we evaluate these two stealthy attacks against a privacy mechanism as Distinct Authentication Key Approach (DAKA) in MANET. Methods/Statistical Analysis: Wireless networks are becoming the most popular in today communication systems, where users prefer to have wireless connectivity regardless of its geographic location. However, the openness of wireless communications increases the threat to MANET under its conditions. It is very challenging to validate false identify in a stealthy node behaviour as it gives a normal impression and in case of route fabrication they modify the routing path which leads a high number of packet loss. The DAKA provides a Secure Route Discovery Mechanism and data routing through a privacy and certificate authentication methodology. Findings: We evaluate the proposed approach by measuring Packet Delivery Ratio, Avg. End-to-End Delay, Control Overhead and Packet Drop Ratio with varying the number of malicious nodes in a fixed number of nodes and traffic. Application/ Improvements: The simulation experiment result shows successfully alleviation of the malicious nodes and achieves the needed performance.
Authentication, MANET, Prevention, Privacy, Stealthy Attacks.
- Khana A, Imranb M, Abbasa H, Duradb MH. A detection and prevention system against collaborative attacks in mobile ad-hoc networks. Elsevier Future Generation Computer Systems. 2016; 68:416–27. Crossref
- Gharib M, Moradlou Z, Doostari MA, Movaghar A. Fully distributed ECC-based key management for mobile ad-hoc networks. Elsevier Computer Networks. 2016; 113:269–83. Crossref
- Smith HJ, Wetherall J, Adekunle A. SUPERMAN: Security Using Pre-Existing Routing for Mobile Ad-hoc Networks. IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing. 2017 Jan; PP(99):1–1.
- Khalil I, Bagchi S, Shroff N. LITEWORP. A Lightweight Countermeasure for the Wormhole Attack in Multihop Wireless Networks. Proc International Conf Dependable Systems and Networks (DSN ‘05); 2005. p. 612–21. Crossref
- Yan J, Ma J, Li F, Moon SJ. Key pre-distribution scheme with node revocation for Wireless Sensor Networks. Ad-hoc and Sensor Wireless Networks. 2010; 10(2/3):235–51.
- Angu M, Anand S. Detection and avoidance of gray hole attack in mobile ad-hoc network. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Dec; 9(47):1–6. Crossref
- Boppana RV, Su X. On the effectiveness of monitoring for intrusion detection in mobile ad-hoc networks. IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing. 2011 Aug; 10(8):1162– 74. Crossref
- Xiao Y, Rayi VK, Sun B, Du X, Hu F, Galloway M. A survey of key management schemes in Wireless Sensor Networks. Computer Comm. 2007 Sep; 30(11/12):2314–41. Crossref
- Wu Y, Marmol FG, Al-Duba A. Introduction to advances in trust, security and privacy for wireless networks. Proceeding EURASIP Journal on Wireless Communications and Networking; 2013. p. 287–88. Crossref
- Huang Y, Lee W. A cooperative intrusion detection system for ad-hoc networks. Proc ACM Workshop Security of Ad-hoc and Sensor Networks (SASN ‘03); 2003. p. 135–47. Crossref
- Defrawy KE, Tsudik G. ALARM: Anonymous LocationAided Routing in Suspicious MANETs. IEEE Trans Mobile Comput. 2011; 10(9):1345–58. Crossref
- Kumar V, Das ML. Securing Wireless Sensor Networks with public key techniques. Ad-hoc and Sensor Wireless Networks. 2008; 5(3/4):189–201.
- Ganeriwal S, Balzano LK, Srivastava MB. Reputation-based framework for high integrity sensor networks. ACM Trans Sensor Networks. 2008 May; 4(3):1–37. Crossref
- Babu DVS, Reddy PC. A distinct authentication key approach for privacy and high performance in MANET. International Journal of Computer Networks and Security. 2015 Feb; 25(1):1–24. ISSN: 2051-6878.
- Lacuesta R, Lloret J, Garcia M, Penalver L. A secure protocol for spontaneous wireless ad-hoc networks creation. IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems. 2013 Apr; 24(4):629–41. Crossref
- Jain S, Shastri A, Chaurasia BK. Analysis and feasibility of reactive routing protocols with malicious nodes in MANETs. Proceeding International Conference on Communication Systems and Network Technologies; 2013 Apr. p.1–5. Crossref
- Liu K, Deng J, Varshney PK, Balakrishnan K. An acknowledgmentbased approach for the detection of routing misbehaviour in MANETs. IEEE Trans Mobile Computing. 2007 May; 6(5):536–50. Crossref
- Marti S, Giuli TJ, Lai K, Baker M. Mitigating routing misbehaviour in mobile ad-hoc networks. Proc of the 6th Annual International Conference on Mobile Computing and Networking; 2000 Aug. p. 255–65.
- Khalil I, Bagchi S. Stealthy attacks in wireless ad-hoc networks. Detection and Countermeasure IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing. 2011 Aug; 10(8):1096–112. Crossref
- Arthur MP, Kannan K. Intelligent internal stealthy attack and its countermeasure for multicast routing protocol in MANET. ETRI Journal. 2015; 37:1108–19. Crossref
- Li H, Chen Z, Qin X. Secure routing in wired networks and wireless ad-hoc networks. Department of Computer Science: Univ of Kentucky; Term-paper. 2003. p. 1–10.
- Pakzad F, Rafsanjani MK. Intrusion detection techniques for detecting misbehaving nodes. Published by Canadian Centre of Science and Education. 2011 Jan; 4(1):1–7.
- Huang YA, Fan W, Lee W, Yu PS. Cross-feature analysis for detecting ad-hoc routing anomalies. Proc of the 23rd International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems (ICDCS); 2003. p. 478–89. PMCid: PMC1241431.
- Liu D, Ning P. Establishing pair-wise keys in distributed sensor networks. Proc ACM Conf Computer and Comm Security (CCS ‘03); 2003. p. 52–61.
- Perkins CE, Royer EM. Ad-hoc on-demand distance vector routing. Proc Second IEEE Workshop Mobile Computing Systems and Applications (WMCSA ‘99); 1999. p. 90–100. Crossref
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.