Total views : 219
A Study of Dimensional Accuracy on Die Sinking Electrical Discharge Machining of Ti-6AL-4V
Objectives: In this work, an investigation of dimensional accuracy (DA) on the die sinking electrical discharge machining (EDM) of Ti-6AL-4V titanium alloy with positive polarity of copper-tungsten (Cu-W) electrode has been carried out. Methods/Analysis: Pulse on time (ON), pulse off time OFF), peak current (IP) and servo voltage (SV) were selected as the cutting parameters. The experiments have been conducted upon the two levels of full factorial design with added four center points Design of Experiments (DOE). A mathematical model is developed to associate the effects of these four cutting parameters with DA of the work piece. Multiple linear regression modelling technique was performed in the mathematical modelling process. Furthermore, Analysis of Variance (ANOVA) technique was performed to determine the significance of the cutting parameters. Findings: Based on the results, ON, IP and SV were found to be the significant cutting parameters contributes to the DA. This finding also indicates the model developed is observed to be in good simultaneous with the experimental results.
Copper Tungsten, Dimensional Accuracy, Electrical Discharge Machining, Titanium Alloy.
- Kant K, Tyagi P, Gupta U, Kumar S. Study of the effect of cutting parameters and Analysis of the wear characteristics of an EDM by ANOVA’s Techniques. 2016 Jan; 2(1):186–95.
- Singh G, Dhiman DP. Review: Parametric Optimization of Edm Machine using Taghuchi and Anova Technique. 2016 Apr; 3(4):783–8.
- Li CP, Kim MY, Islam MM, Ko TJ. Mechanism analysis of hybrid machining process comprising EDM and end milling. Journal of Materials Processing Technology. 2016 Nov 30; 237:309–19. Crossref
- Suresh S, Jamil MA, Sulaiman S, Shokor MR, Rozani M. Optimization of Electrode Material for EDM Die-sinking of Titanium Alloy Grade 5-Ti6Al4V. International Journal on Advanced Science, Engineering and Information Technology. 2016 Aug 8; 6(4):534–9.
- Tiwary AP, Pradhan BB, Bhattacharyya B. Study on the influence of micro-EDM process parameters during machining of Ti–6Al–4V superalloy. The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology. 2015 Jan 1; 76(1-4):151–60. Crossref
- Armendia M, Garay A, Iriarte LM, Arrazola PJ. Comparison of the machinabilities of Ti6Al4V and TIMETAL® 54M using uncoated WC–Co tools. Journal of Materials Processing Technology. 2010 Jan 19; 210(2):197–203. Crossref
- Pala M, ViswanathaSarma K, Sakthivel D, Rao DV. Experimental Investigation of Machining of Ti-6Al-4V through EDM using Copper Tungsten Electrode and Modeling of Cutting parameters using Artificial Neural Network. IJAERS. ISSN. 2015:2349-6495.
- Khan MA, Rahman MM, Kadirgama K. An experimental investigation on surface finish in die-sinking EDM of Ti-5Al-2.5 Sn. The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology. 2015 Apr 1; 77(9-12):1727–40. Crossref
- Rizvi SA, Agarwal S. An investigation on surface integrity in EDM process with a copper tungsten electrode. Procedia CIRP. 2016 Dec 31; 42:612–7. Crossref
- Zain AM, Haron H, Qasem SN, Sharif S. Regression and ANN models for estimating minimum value of machining performance. Applied Mathematical Modelling. 2012 Apr 30; 36(4):1477–92. Crossref
- Sharma N, Khanna R, Gupta RD, Sharma R. Modeling and multiresponse optimization on WEDM for HSLA by RSM. The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology. 2013 Aug 1; 67(9-12):2269–81. Crossref
- Zainal N, Zain AM, Radzi NH, Othman MR. Glowworm swarm optimization (GSO) for optimization of cutting parameters. Journal of Intelligent Manufacturing. 2014; 27:1–8.
- Cornell JA. How to apply response surface methodology. (No. 04; QA279, C675 1990.) 1990.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.