Total views : 119
Teaching Tool for Digital Control and Signal Processing Generating Automatic Code for FPGA’s
Objectives: The educational implementation of code generation software for FPGA device is presented. The objective is to allow the students to develop implementations without knowing the structure of the programmable logics device, or any hardware description language. Methods: A software tool was developed for this purpose. In the user's interface of the tool, the transference function of the controller or digital filter must be entered, and then the code VHDL will be automatically generated in a standard format, compatible with any programmable logics device. Findings: It was found that the possibility that students might have by implementing a controller, or a higher-order system without making a complex code makes that the learning process speeds up, and that the student faces specific problems related to digital control and signals processing, leaving aside the restrictions given by the difficulties in the use of the hardware's description language, as well as the required knowledge of the devices structure. The use of the tool allows that students develop their laboratory practices generating digital dynamic systems in a high level, which allows avoiding potential errors in their implementations. Besides the possibilities in the industrial level, the tool is capable of being used by students of Engineering without knowledge in hardware programming, which study topics related to control, but not specialized in topics related to implementation. Application: Results linked to learning in some engineering classes with and without the use of the tool are shown at the end of this paper.
Control Systems, Education, Engineering Teaching, FPGA Code Generation, Signal Processing.
- Artigas JI, Barragan L, Isidro U, Navarro D, Lucia O. Fpgabased digital control implementation of a power converter for teaching purposes. 5th IEEE International Conference on e-Learning in Industrial Electronics (ICELIE). 2011; p. 55-60. Crossref.
- Laakkonen O, Ruama K, Ikonen M, Pyrhonen O. Reconfigurable platform for teaching motor control algorithms.
- th IEEE, PESC ’06 Power Electronics Specialists Conference. 2006; p. 1-4. Crossref.
- Bol EW, Santander ACA, Almeida O, Coehlo L, Coehlo AR. Winfact a tool for teaching digital control. Proceedings of the 38th IEEE Conference in Decision and Control. 1999; 1:353-8. Crossref.
- Dolgov A, Miao B, Zane R, Maksimovic D. Gui-based laboratory architecture for teaching and research in digital control of smps. IEEE Workshops in Computers in Power Electronics. 2006; p. 236-9. Crossref.
- Kolek K, Tamau A, Hajduk K, Piatek P, Pauluk M, Marchewka D, Pilat A, Roso M, Gorczyca P. Laboratory real-time systems to facilitate automatic control education and research. Proceedings of the 2010 International Multiconference on Computer Science and Information Technology. 2010; p. 805-12. Crossref.
- Paiz C, Kettelhoit B, Porrmann M. A design framework for fpga-based dynamically reconfigurable digital controllers. ISCAS IEEE International Symposium in Circuits and Systems. 2007; p. 3708-11. Crossref.
- Gonzalez ECV, Rivera D, Gomez E. Implementation and simulation of iir digital filters in fpga using matlab system generator. Colombia: IEEE 5th Colombian Workshop in Circuits and Systems (CWCAS). 2014; p. 1-5. Crossref.
- Rusia P, Bhongade S. Design and implementation of digital pid controller using fpga for precision temperature control. 2014 6th IEEE, Power India International Conference PIICON. 2014; p. 1-4. Crossref.
- Bhattacharyya A, Sharma P, Murali N, Murty S. Development of fpga based IIR filter implementation of 2-degree of freedom pid controller. Annual IEEE India Conference INDICON. 2011; p. 1-8.
- Kocur M, Kozak S, Dvorscak B. Design and implementation of fpga - digital based pid controller. 15th International Carpathian Control Conference (ICCC). 2014; p. 233-6. Crossref.
- Islam S, Sarker R, Saha S, Uddin A. Design of a programmable digital IIr filter based on fpga. International Conference in Informatics, Electronics Vision (ICIEV). 2012; p. 716-21. Crossref.
- Abbas G, Farooq U, Asad M. Design and fpga implementation of 1-degree-of-freedom discrete pid controller for power switching converter. 7th IEEE Conference on Industrial Electronics and Applications (ICIEA). 2012; p. 1070-4. Crossref.
- Samanta S, Chakraborty M. Fpga based implementation of high speed tunable notch filter using pipelining and unfolding. Twentieth National Conference on Communications (NCC). 2014; p. 1-6. Crossref.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.