Total views : 74
Experimental Investigation of SS-304 by using Orbital Welding with A-TIG Process
Tungsten Inert Gas (TIG) welding is the mostly used fabrication technique used for joining stainless steel pipe in industry. By this process limited Depth of Penetration (DOP) can be achieved in a single pass. To overcome this problem, the current, speed and flow rate needs to be significantly changed and it will effect productivity. Therefore Activated TIG welding (A-TIG) is explored in the present study. The effect of hybrid mixture is evaluated in terms of DOP on AISI 304 by an automatic orbital welding setup. Hence a mathematical modelling is being done DOP by varying thickness, current, travel speed, and flow rate. A Leica microscope is used to capture the image of microstructure of weld bead. The result shows that a significant increase in DOP and width to penetration ratio by increasing the current for higher thickness after using of activated flux.
Activated Flux, Current, Depth of penetration (DOP), Lorentz Force, Marangoni Effect, Shielding Gas, Stainless Steels, TIG welding
- Cheng-Hsien Kuo, Kuang-Hung Tseng, Chang-Pin Chou.Effect of activated TIG flux on performance of dissimilar welds between mild steel and stainless steel. Key Engineering Materials. 2011;479:74–80. Crossref
- Qing-ming LI, Xin-hong WANG, Zeng-da ZOU, Jun WU.Effect of activated flux on arc shape and arc voltage in TIG welding. Trans. Nonferrous Met. Soc. China.2007;17: 486– 90.
- Kuang-Hung Tseng. Development and application of oxidebased flux powder for tungsten inert gas welding of austenitic stainless steels. Powder Technology.2013; 233:72–9.Crossref
- Yoshiaki Morisada, Hidetoshi Fujii, Ni Xukun. Development of simplified active flux tungsten inert gas welding for deep penetration. Materials and Design.2014; 54: 526–30.Crossref
- Magudeeswaran G, Sreehari R. Nair, Sundar L, Harikannan N. Optimization of process parameters of the activated tungsten inert gas welding for aspect ratio of UNS S32205 duplex stainless steel welds. Defence Technology.2014;10(3):251–60. Crossref
- Berthier A, Paillard P, Carin M, Valensi F, Pellerin S. TIG and A-TIG welding experimental investigations and comparison to simulation Part 1: Identification of Marangoni effect. Science and technology of welding and joining. 2012; 17 (8): 609–15. Crossref
- Sakthivel T, Vasudevan M, Laha K, Parameswaran P, Chandravathi KS, Mathew MD, Bhaduri AK. Creep rupturestrength of activated-TIG welded 316L(N) stainless steel.Journal of Nuclear Materials.2011; 413(1):36–40. Crossref
- Ahmadi E, Ebrahimi AR, Azari Khosroshahi R. Welding of 304L stainless steel with activated tungsten inert gas process (A-TIG). International journal of Iron and Steel Society of Iran.2013; 10 (1): 27–33.
- Paulo J. Modenesi, Eustaquio R. Apolinario, Iaci M. Pereira. TIG welding with single component fluxes. Journal of Materials Processing Technology. 2000; 99(1-3):260–65.Crossref
- Shanping Lu, Hidetoshi Fujii, Hiroyuki Sugiyama, Manabu Tanaka, Kiyoshi Nogi. Weld penetration and marangoniconvection with Oxide Fluxes in GTA welding. Material Transactions.2002; 43 (11):2926–31. Crossref
- Xu YL, Dong ZB, Wei YH, Yang CL. Marangoni convection and weld shape variation in A-TIG welding process.Theoretical and Applied Fracture Mechanics.2007; 48(2): 178–86. Crossref
- Arivazhagan B, Vasudevan M. A comparative study on the effect of GTAW processes on the microstructure and mechanical properties of P91 steel weld joints. Journal of Manufacturing Processes.2014;16(2):305–11. Crossref
- Kuang-Hung Tseng, Ko-Jui Chuang. Application of iron based powders in tungsten inert gas welding for 17Cr-10Ni2Mo alloys. Powder Technology.2012; 228: 36–46. Crossref
- Vasantharaja P, Vasudevan M. Studies on A-TIG welding of Low Activation Ferritic/Martensitic (LAFM) steel. Journal of Nuclear Materials.2012;421(1-3): 117–23. Crossref
- Kuang-Hung Tseng, Chih-Yu Hsu. Performance of activated TIG process in austenitic stainless steel welds. Journal of Materials Processing Technology.2011; 211(3):503–12.Crossref
- Surinder Tathgir, Anirban Bhattacharya. Activating flux tungsten inert gas welding for enhanced weld penetration.Materials and Manufacturing Processes.2015; 335–42.
- Arun kumar V, Vasudevan M, Maduraimuthu V, Muthupandi V. Effect of activated flux on the microstructure and mechanical properties of 9Cr-1Mo steel weld joint. Materials and Manufacturing Processes.2011; 27(11): 1171–7.
- Rui-Hua ZHANG, Ji-Luan Pan, Seiji Katayama. The mechanism of penetration increase in A-TIG welding. Front.Matar. Sci.2011; 5(2):109–18. Crossref
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.