Total views : 66
Silver Nanoparticle Filled HPMC and Xanthan Films for Food Packaging and Safety
Majority of materials employed for food packaging are non-bio-degradable. This however does not meet escalate demands in society for sustainability and environmental safety. Many biopolymers have been exploited to develop biodegradable food packaging materials. Regardless, the usage of biopolymers has been limited due to the poor mechanical and barrier properties. To enhance these properties, Silver nanoparticles were synthesized by sodium borohydride using reduction method and are doped into bio-composite membrane of HPMC and Xanthum gum to form bio-nanocomposite membrane. SEM, TEM, FTIR, UV-VIS spectra and XRD can be done to have characteristic peaks of Nano-bio-composite membrane. This composite film is studied for its mechanical solubility, thermal, structural and antimicrobial property
Hydroxy Propyll Methyl Cellulose, Nano Bio Composites, Silver Nano Particles, Xanthangum
- Abd Karim A, Sulebele GA, Azhar ME, Ping CY. Effect of carrageenan on yield and properties of tofu. Food Chem. 1999; 66:159–65 https://doi.org/10.1016/S03088146(98)00258-1
- Agoub AA, Smith AM, Giannouli P, Richardson RK, Morris ER. Melt-in-the-mouth gels from mixtures of xanthan and konjac glucomannan under acidic conditions—a rheological and calorimetric study of the mechanism of synergistic gelation. Carbohydr Polym. 2007; 69:713–24. Crossref.
- Bourbon AI, Pinheiro AC, Cerqueira MA, Rocha CMR, Avides MC, Quintas MAC, Vicente AA. Physico-chemical characterization of chitosan-based edible films incorporating bioactive compounds of different molecular weight. J Food Eng. 2011; 106(2):111–8. Crossref.
- Cosentino S, Tuberoso CIG, Pisano B, Satta M, Mascia V, Arzedi E, Palmas F. In-vitro antimicrobial activity and chemical composition of Sardinian Thymus essential oils. Lett Appl Microbiol. 1999; 29:130–5. Crossref.PMid:10499301
- Mukherjee T, Kao. PLA based biopolymer reinforced with natural fibre: a review. J. Polym. Environ. 2011; 19:714–25.Crossref.
- Song KC, Lee SM, Park TS, Lee BS. Preparation of colloidal silver nanoparticles by chemical reduction method. Korean Journal of Chemical Engineering. 2009; 26(1):153–5.Crossref. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11814-009-0024-y
- Cooksey K. Effectiveness of antimicrobial food packaging materials. Food Additives & Contaminants. 2005; 22(10):980–7. Crossref.
- Cooksey K. Effectiveness of antimicrobial food packaging materials, Food Additives & Contaminants, 2005; 22(10):980–7. Crossref.
- Petersen N, Gatenholm P. Bacterial cellulose-based materials and medical devices: current state and perspectives.Appl Microbiol Biotechnol. 2011; 91:1277–86. Crossref.
- Pateras I. Bread Spoilage and staling. In: Technology of breading. 2007. p. 275–98. Crossref.
- Degrirmencioglu N, Gocmen D, Inkaya AN, Aydin E, Guldas M, Gonenc S. Influence of modified atmosphere packaging and potassium sorbate on microbiological characteristics of sliced bread. J, Food sci technology. 2011; 48(2):236.Crossref. PMid:23572740 PMCid:PMC3551071
- Garcõ F, Âa-Ochoaa VE, Santosa JA, Casasb E, Âmez G. Xanthan gum: production, recovery, and properties.Biotechnology Advances. 2000; 18:549–79. Crossref.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.