Total views : 302
A Survey on E-Payment Systems: Elements, Adoption, Architecture, Challenges and Security Concepts
Objectives: This paper is aimed at investigating and increasing awareness about various concepts related to Electronic Payment Systems (EPS) including its advantages, challenges and security considerations. The proposed study also evaluates the adoption of e-payment systems and the resulting impact on economy of a nation. Methods/Statistical Analysis: In this paper, a comprehensive survey on all the aspects of electronic payment was conducted after analysis of several research studies on online payment systems. The most recent references and information have been explored in order to gain significant information about electronic payments systems. Findings: From the study conducted, it can be elucidated that despite various issues that usage of electronic payment systems pose, these are identified as a positive step towards the economic development of a nation. Nevertheless, its full potential can be realized only by raising its awareness among people. Applications/Improvements: With the advancement in technology and popularity of Internet, the perception of making online transactions is bound to gain momentum. In the future, the payment modes currently used and supported shall see a declining trend owing to the numerous benefits offered by electronic payment systems.
E-commerce, Electronic Payment System, Payment Gateway, Payment Gateway Security.
- Sun J, Ahluwalia P, Koong KS. The more secure the better? A study of information security readiness. Industrial Management and Data Systems. 2011 Apr 26; 111(4): 570–88. Crossref
- Aigbe P, Akpojaro J. Analysis of security issues in electronic payment systems. International Journal of Computer Applications. 2014 Jan 1; 108(10):10–4. Crossref
- Ayo CK, Adewoye JO, Oni AA. The state of e-banking implementation in Nigeria: A post-consolidation review. Journal of Emerging Trends in Economics and Management Sciences. 2010; 1(1):37–45.
- Oyewole OS, Abba M, El-maude JG. E-banking and bank performance: Evidence from Nigeria. International Journal of Scientific Engineering and Technology (IJSET). 2013; 2(8):766–71.
- Oyewole OS, El-Maude JG, Abba M, Onuh ME. Electronic payment system and economic growth: a review of transition to cashless economy in Nigeria. International Journal of Scientific and Engineering Research. 2013; 2(9):913–8.
- Singh A, Singh K, Shahazad, Khan MH, Chandra M. A review: secure payment system for electronic transaction. International Journal of Advanced Research in Computer Science and Software Engineering. 2012 Mar; 2(3): 236–43.
- Shilpa, Sharma P. Advance technique for online payment security in e-commerce: Double Verification. International Journal on Computer Science and Engineering. 2013 Jun 1; 5(6):508–13.
- Abrazhevich D. Electronic payment systems: A usercentered perspective and interaction design. Dennis
- Abrazhevich; Eindhoven, Netherland: Technische. 2004; 1–202.
- Roy S, Sinha I. Determinants of customers’ acceptance of electronic payment system in Indian banking sector–a study. International Journal of Scientific and Engineering Research. 2014; 5(1):177–87.
- Kabir MA, Saidin SZ, Ahmi A. Adoption of e-payment systems: a review of literature, International Conference on E-Commerce, Kuching, Sarawak. 2015. p. 112–20.
- McNurlin BC, Sprague RH. Information systems management in practice. Prentice-Hall International. 1989 Jan 3.
- Boonstra A, De Vries J. Analyzing inter-organizational systems from a power and interest perspective. International Journal of Information Management. 2005 Dec 31; 25(6):485–501. Crossref
- Kumar RL, Crook CW. A multi-disciplinary framework for the management of interorganizational systems. ACM SIGMIS Database. 1999 Jan 1; 30(1):22–37. Crossref
- Electronic Briggs A, Brooks L. Electronic payment systems development in a developing country: The role of institutional arrangements. The Electronic Journal of Information Systems in Developing Countries. 2011 Sep 24; 49(3):1–16.
- World Payments Report 2014. Available from: Crossref. Date accessed: 15/02/2017.
- 2016 World Payments Report. Available from: Crossref. Date accessed: 15/02/2017.
- Slozko O, Pelo A. Problems and risks of digital technologies introduction into e-payments. Transformation in Business and Economics. 2015 Jan 1; 14(1):42–59.
- Innovation in Electronic Payment Adoption: The case of small retailers. Available from: Crossref. Date accessed: 20/02/2017.
- Ogedebe PM, Jacob BP. E-payment: prospects and challenges in Nigerian public sector. International Journal of Modern Engineering Research. 2012; 2(5):3104–6.
- Adeoti O, Osotimehin K. Adoption of point of sale terminals in Nigeria: Assessment of consumers’ level of satisfaction. Research Journal of Finance and Accounting. 2012 Jan 25; 3(1):1–6.
- Kaur K, Pathak A. E-payment system on e-commerce in India. International Journal of Engineering Research and Applications. 2015; 5(2):79–87.
- Kalakota R, Whinston AB. Electronic commerce: a manager’s guide. Addison-Wesley Professional. 1997.
- Hancock D, Humphrey DB. Payment transactions, instruments, and systems: A survey. Journal of Banking and Finance. 1997 Dec 31; 21(11):1573–624. Crossref
- Agimo T. Better Practice Checklist for ePayment. Available from: Crossref. Date accessed: 20/01/2017.
- Antwi SK, Hamza K, Bavoh SW. Examining the effectiveness of electronic payment system in Ghana: the case of e-ZWICH in the Tamale metropolis. Research Journal of Finance and Accounting. 2015; 6(2):163–77.
- Lin C, Nguyen C. Exploring e-payment adoption in Vietnam and Taiwan. Journal of Computer Information Systems. 2011 Jun 1; 51(4):41–52.
- Shon TH, Swatman PM. Identifying effectiveness criteria for Internet payment systems. Internet Research. 1998 Aug 1; 8(3):202–18. Crossref
- Gans JS, Scheelings R. Economic Issues Associated with Access to Electronic Payments Systems. Available from: Crossref. Date accessed: 23/02/2017.
- Hord J. How Electronic Payment Works. Available from: Crossref. Date accessed: 23/02/2017.
- Ming-Yen Teoh W, Choy Chong S, Lin B, Wei Chua J. Factors affecting consumers’ perception of electronic payment: an empirical analysis. Internet Research. 2013 Aug 9; 23(4):465–85. Crossref
- Oh S. A stakeholder perspective on successful electronic payment systems diffusion. IEEE Proceedings of the 39th Annual Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences, HICSS’06. 2006 Jan 4; 8:186b–186b.
- Al-Laham M, Al-Tarawneh H, Abdallat N. Development of electronic money and its impact on the central bank role and monetary policy. Issues in Informing Science and Information Technology. 2009 Jan 1; 6:339–49.
- Ma WK. An agenda for research about the value of payment systems for transactions in electronic commerce. JITTA: Journal of Information Technology Theory and Application. 2003 Jan 1; 4(4):1–16.
- Yang Q, Cheng Z, Song P. Research on online payment mode based on internet banking payment gateway. International Conference on Convergence Information Technology, IEEE. 2007 Nov 21. p. 2043–8. Crossref
- Yu HC, Hsi KH, Kuo PJ. Electronic payment systems: an analysis and comparison of types. Technology in Society. 2002 Aug 31; 24(3):331–47. Crossref
- Singh TV, Supriya N, Joshna MS. Issues and challenges of electronic payment systems. International Journal of Innovative Research and Development, ISSN 2278–0211. 2016 Jan 12; 5(2):50–3.
- Kim C, Tao W, Shin N, Kim KS. An empirical study of customers’ perceptions of security and trust in e-payment systems. Electronic Commerce Research and Applications. 2010 Feb 28; 9(1):84–95. Crossref
- What is an E-Payment System? Available from: Crossref. Date accessed: 20/02/2017.
- E-Commerce Payment Systems. Available from: Crossref. Date accessed: 23/02/2017.
- Singh K, Aw Asthi AK. Quality, reliability, security and robustness in heterogeneous networks. Springer Berlin Heidelberg. 2013. Crossref
- Lu S, Smolka SA. Model checking the secure electronic transaction (SET) protocol. 7th International Symposium on Modeling, Analysis and Simulation of Computer and Telecommunication Systems, IEEE.1999; 358–64. Crossref
- Guttmann R. Cybercash: the coming era of electronic money. Springer. 2002 Oct 22.
- Sirbu M, Tygar JD. NetBill: An internet commerce system optimized for network-delivered services. IEEE Personal Communications. 1995 Aug; 2(4):34–9. Crossref 44. First Virtual Internet Payment System. Available from: Crossref. Date accessed: 15/02/2017.
- Nuthan K, Rashmi PC. An E-payment System: Literature Review. First International Conference on Recent Advances in Science & Engineering, 2014.
- Fiallos F, Wu L. Digital Money: Future Trends and Impact on Banking. Financial Institutions, and eBusiness. 2005.
- Will m-payment take off?. Available from: Crossref. Date accessed: 25/02/2017.
- Hord J. How Electronic Payment Works. Available from: Crossref. Date accessed: 23/02/2017.
- Humphrey DB, Kim M, Vale B. Realizing the gains from electronic payments: Costs, pricing, and payment choice. Journal of Money, credit and Banking. 2001 May 1; 216–34. Crossref
- Appiah A, Agyemang F. Electronic retail payment systems: user acceptability and payment problems in Ghana. In: School of Management Business Administration Blekinge Institute of Technology, Sweden. 2006.
- Humphrey DB, Pulley LB, Vesala JM. The check’s in the mail: Why the United States lags in the adoption of costsaving electronic payments. Journal of Financial Services Research. 2000 Feb 1; 17(1):17–39. Crossref
- Kumaga D. The challenges of implementing electronic payment systems–The case of Ghana’s E-zwich payment system. 2012; 1(3):1–9.
- Taddesse W, Kidan TG. e-Payment: Challenges and opportunities in Ethiopia. United Nations Economic Commission for Africa. 2005 Oct.
- Mishra BB. The Development of E-payment and Challenges in Nepal. An e-book. 2008; 159–60.
- Niranjanamurthy M. E-commerce: Recommended Online Payment Method-PayPal. 2014; 3(7):669–79.
- Oginni O. Impact of electronic banking on commercial banks’ performance. Lap Lambert Academic Publishing, Germany: Saarbucken. ISBN 978-3-659-42758-9. 2013; 88 pp.
- Siyanbola TT. The effect of cashless banking on Nigerian economy. eCanadian Journal of Accounting and Finance. 2013; 1(2):9–19.
- Omotunde M, Sunday T, John-Dewole AT. Impact of cashless economy in Nigeria. Greener Journal of Internet, Information and Communication Systems. 2013; 1(2):040–3. Crossref
- Newstead S. Cashless payments underpin economic growth @Euromoney. Available from: Crossref. Date accessed: 15/02/2017.
- World Payments Report 2012. Available from: Crossref. Date accessed: 25/02/2017.
- Hasan I, De Renzis T, Schmiedel H. Retail payments and economic growth. Bank of Finland Research Discussion Papers 19. 2012.
- Zandi M, Singh V, Irving J. The impact of electronic payments on economic growth. Moody’s Analytics: Economic and Consumer Credit Analytics. 2013 Jan.
- Worku G. Electronic-banking in Ethiopia-practices, opportunities and challenges. Journal Of Internet Banking And Commerce. 2010 Aug 1; 15(2):1–8.
- Asokan N, Janson P, Steiner M, Waidner M. Electronic payment systems. IBM Thomas J. Watson Research Division. 1996.
- Jamdaade K, Champaneri H. A review: secured electronic payment gateway. International Journal of Technology Enhancements and Emerging Engineering Research. 2015; 3(6):70–2.
- Gulati VP, Srivastava S. The Empowered Internet Payment Gateway.International Conference on E-Governance. 2007. p. 98–107.
- Singhal N. Integration of CRM systems with payment gateway. International Journal of IT, Engineering and Applied Sciences Research (IJIEASR). 2014; 3(2):1–5.
- Best Payment Gateways | Formstack. Available from: Crossref. Date accessed: 05/03/2017.
- Zhang X, Wang L. Key technologies for security enhancing of payment gateway. 2008 International Symposium on Electronic Commerce and Security, IEEE. 2008 Aug 3; 743–8. Crossref PMCid:PMC2494960
- O’Raghallaigh E. Security Issues in E-Commerce. Available from: Crossref. Date accessed:15/02/2017
- E-Commerce Security Systems. Available from: Crossref. Date accessed: 20/02/2017.
- Security Features Of Payment Gateway Information Technology Essay. Available from: Crossref. Date accessed: 20/02/2017.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.