Total views : 254
Effect of Terrain on Stream Junctions and Drainage Density: A Study of Kadvi River Basin, Maharashtra
Background/Objectives: The present research study focuses the drainage characteristics of river Kadvi of Maharashtra. Surface run off also influencing by the basin characteristics of river. Various types of soil, gradient of basin, shape and size of river basin also affects on the runoffs and directly or indirectly influencing on the drainage densities of the river basins. Methods/Analysis: The analysis of drainage densities and river patterns of Kadvi river basin has attempted on the basis of Topographic maps of 47G-16, 47H-13 and 47L-1 at the scale of 1:50,000. Maps for drainage density were prepared using ERDAS IMAGINE 9.1 software and Arc GIS software. Findings: The higher drainage densities are associated with the steep slopes of the landscapes. Present study also reveals that, Stream flow and direction is closely related with hydrology of the river. Stream flow and direction indicate the topographic pattern, soil structure, rock formation of the basin. Applications/ Improvements: In view of hydrological studies, the analytical results can help for the proper management of Kadvi river basin. The investigation techniques using geoinformatics can be applied to the other river basins also.
Drainage Density, Drainage Network, Drainage Pattern, GIS technique, Stream Flow, Stream Junctions (Nodes)
- Langbein WB. Topographic characteristic of drainage basins. USA: US Government Printing Office. 1947. p.125–58.
- Sapkale JB. Brick kilns of Umbraj and its impact on the lower reaches of river Tarali. International Journal of Environment and Sustainable Development. 2010 Jun; 7(1): 23–33.
- Sapkale JB. Channel Disturbance and Variations in Channel Cross-Sections of Tarali River, Maharashtra: Using Advanced Surveying Techniques and Transit Theodolite.International Journal of Emerging Technology and Advanced Engineering (IJETAE). 2014 May; 4(5): 455–62.
- Sapkale JB. At-A-Station Hydraulic Geometry of Tarali River, Maharashtra: An Impact of Human Intervention on Channel. International Journal of Engineering Sciences & Research Technology (IJESRT). 2015; 4(10): 436–45.
- Sapkale JB. Shifts in Tarali River Channel, a tributary of Krishna, in post- Monsoon low flow condition.
- Transactions of the Institute of Indian Geographers. Inst.Indian Geographers. 2007 Dec; 29(1): 1–2.
- Sapkale JB, Chougale SS, Chougale S S. Assessment of Flood and Strategies for Flood Preparedness: A Study of Warna River and its Middle Basin Villages. Research Front.2015 Mar; 3(1): 27–34.
- Saud MA. Morphometric Analysis of Wadi Aurnah Drainage System, Western Arabian Peninsula. The Open Hydrology Journal. 2009; 3: 1–10.
- Yargholi M, Goraji KS. Morphotectonic of Tang-e-sarhe Catchment and its Effect on Morphology and Behavior of the River, Nikshahr, Southeast of Iran. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2014 Nov; 7(11): 1871–81.
- Dwivedi L, Gupta D S, Tripathi S. Groundwater Potential Mapping of Ukmeh River Watershed Area of Upper Vindhyan Region using Remote Sensing and GIS. Indian Journal of Science and Technology 2016 Sep; 9(36): 1–7.Crossref
- Yaghoubi B, Hosseini SA, Nazif S. Evaluation of Climatic Change Impact on Runoff: A Case Study. Indian Journal of Science and Technology 2016 Feb; 9(7): 1–7. Crossref
- Inamdar P, Singh TP, Metha K, Kumbhar V. Assessment of Irrigation and Agriculture Potential of the Krishna River Basin using Geospatial Techniques. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Nov; 9(44): 1–9. Crossref
- Khare D, Mondal A, Mishra PK, Kundu S, Meena PK.Morphometric analysis for prioritization using Remote sensing and GIS Techniques in a hilly catchment in the state of Uttarakhand, India. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2014 Oct; 7(10): 1650–62.
- Joycee CSD, Santhi MH. Assessment of surface runoff from sub basin of Kodayar using NRSC CN model with GIS.Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Jul; 8(13): 1–8.
- Kumar PS, Praveen TV, Prasad MA. Identification of critical erosion prone areas using remote sensing and GIS: A case study of Sarada River basin. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Aug; 9(32): 1–6.
- Azarang F. Mathematical model for evaluating of sediment transport (Case study: Karkheh River in Iran). Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Sep; 8 (23): 1–6.Crossref
- Pal B, Samanta S. Estimation of soil loss using remote sensing and geographic information system techniques (Case study of Kaliaghai River Basin, Purba & Paschim Medinipur District, West Bengal, India). Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2011 Oct; 4(10):1202–7.
- Hengade N, Eldho TI. Assessment of LULC and climate change on the hydrology of Ashti Catchment, India using VIC model. Journal of Earth System Science. 2016 Dec; 125(8):1623–34. Crossref
- 18. Eze EB, Efiong J. Morphometric Parameters of the Calabar River Basin: Implication for Hydrologic Processes.Journal of Geography and Geology. 2010 Sep; 2(1): 18–26.
- Soils- The Gazetteers Department – Kolhapur. 2006 December 25. Available from: Kolhapur.nic.in/ KolhapurGazetteer/agri_soils.html.
- Horton RE. Erosional Development of Streams and their Drainage Basins; Hydrophysical Approach to Quantitative Morphology. Geological Society of America Bulletin. 1945 Mar; 56(3): 275–370. Crossref
- Strahler AN. Quantitative Analysis of Watershed Geomorphology. Transactions America Geophysical Union. 1957 Dec; 38(6): 913–20. Crossref
- Schumm SA. Evolution of Drainage systems and slopes in badlands at Perth Amboy, New Jersey. Geological Society of America Bulletin. 1956 May; 67(5): 597–646. Crossref
- Miller V. A Quantitative Geomorphologic Study of Drainage Basin Characteristics in the Clinch Mountain Area, Virginia and Tennessee, Project NR 389042, Tech Report 3. Columbia University Department of Geology, ONR Geography Branch, New York. 1953.
- Rai PK, Mohan K, Mishra S, Ahmad A, Mishra VN. A GIS-based Approach in Drainage Morphometric Analysis of Kanhar River Basin, India. Applied Water Science. 2017 Mar; 7(1): 217–32. Crossref
- Carlston CW. Drainage density and streamflow. US Government Printing Office, Washington. 1963. p.1–8.
- Singh S. Physical geography. Prayag pustak bhawan, India.2017.
- Drainage System. 2015 October 01. Available from: https:// en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drainage_system_(geomorphology).
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.