Total views : 120
Estimation of Strength of Reactive Powder Concrete using Artificial Neural Network
Objective: Attempt is made to estimate the compressive strength of Reactive Powder Concrete (RPC) by developing Artificial Neural Network model. Methods/Analysis: RPC is a complex composite material made using a combination of constituent materials viz. fine quartz, silica fume and cement to form a cementitious matrix. Mix design for RPC is more complicated as it excludes the coarse aggregates and a low water/cement ratio is maintained. The mix proportioning methods applicable to normal concrete cannot be applied readily to RPC. The complexity in behavior of concrete with special constituents makes the mix design complicated. Artificial neural network (ANN) techniques can capture complex relations among input/output variables in a given system and this method has been implemented in Reactive Powder Concrete mix proportion design, for predicting its strength. Findings: This paper presents the development and application of ANN for predicting the strength of RPC using data related to 112 mix proportions and the results of the model are checked experimentally. Compressive strength of concrete is chosen as a function of the 'Water/Cement' ratio (w/c), 'Silica Fume/Cement' ratio (sf/c), and 'Quartz Sand/Cement' ratio (qs/c). The ANN model developed is tested for the 12 mix proportions randomly selected from experimental data for which the experimental compressive strengths were available. The compressive strength given by the model when compared with the experimental values showed an average error of only 3.99 %. Novelty/Improvement: The model developed has coefficient of determination R² equal to 0.9066 which indicates a significant enough correlation.
Artificial Neural Network, Concrete Mix Design, Reactive Powder Concrete.
- Richard P, Marcel Cheyrezy. Composition of Reactive Powder Concretes. Cement and Concrete Research.1995; 25(7):1501-11. Crossref
- I-Cheng Yeh. Modeling concrete strength with augmentneuron networks. Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering. 1998; 10(4):263-8. Crossref
- I-Cheng Yeh. Design of high performance concrete mixture using neural networks and non-linear programming. Journal of Computing in Civil Engineering. 1999; 13(1):3642. Crossref.
- I-Cheng Yeh. Analysis of strength of concrete using design of experiments and neural networks. Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering. 2006; 18(4):597-604. Crossref.
- Tao Ji, Tingwei Lin, Xujian Lin. A concrete mix proportion design algorithm based on artificial neural networks. Cement and Concrete Research. 2006; 36:1399-1408. Crossref.
- Lai S., and Serra M. Concrete strength prediction by means of neural network. Construction Building Material. 1997; 11(2):93–98. Crossref.
- Yeh IC. Modeling of strength of high-performance concrete using artificial neural networks. Cement and Concrete Research. 1998; 28(12):1797-1808. Crossref.
- Oh JW, Lee IW, Kim JT and Lee GW. Application of neural networks for proportioning of concrete mixes. ACI Materials Journal. 1999; 96(1):61-7.
- Ni HG and Wang JZ. Prediction of compressive strength of concrete by artificial neural networks. Cement Concrete Research. 2000; 30:1245-50. Crossref.
- Hong Guang N and Ji-Zong W. Prediction of compressive strength of concrete by neural networks, Cement Concrete Research. 2000; 30:1245-50. Crossref.
- Lee SC. Prediction of concrete strength using artificial neural network. Engineering Structures. 2003; 25:849-57. Crossref.
- Kim JI, Kim DK, Feng MQ and Yazdani F. Application of neural networks for estimation of concrete strength. Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering. 2004; 16(3):25764. Crossref.
- Chiang, CH and Yang CC. Artificial neural networks in prediction of concrete strength reduction due to high temperature. ACI Material Journal. 2005; 102(2):93-102.
- Jain A, Misra S and Jha SK. Discussion of ‘Application of neural networks for estimation of concrete strength. Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering. 2005; 17(6):736-8. Crossref.
- Tesfamariam S and Najjaran H. Adaptive Network-Fuzzy Inferencing to Estimate Concrete Strength Using Mix Design. Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering. 2007; 19(7):550-60. Crossref.
- Jong-In Kim, Doo Kie Kim, Maria Q Feng and Frank Yazdani. Application of neural networks for estimation of concrete strength. Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering. 2004; 16(3):257-64. Crossref.
- Mohammad Iqbal Khan. Predicting properties of High Performance Concrete containing composite cementitious materials using Artificial Neural Networks. Automation in Construction. 2012; 22:516-24. Crossref
- Dili AS, Santhanam Manu. Investigation on RPC: A developing ultra-high strength technology. Indian Concrete Journal. 2004; 78(4):33-8.
- Halit Yazici, Mert Yucel Yardimci. Mechanical properties of reactive powder concrete containing mineral admixtures under different curing regimes. Construction and Building Materials. 2009; 23:1223-31. Crossref.
- Sivanandam SN, Sumathi S, Deepa SN. Tata McGraw Hill Education Private Limited: Introduction to neural networks using MATLAB 6.0.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.