Total views : 150
Impact of Dairy Industrial Effluent of Punjab (India) on Seed Germination and Early Growth of Triticum aestivum
Objectives: The aim of the present research was to study the impact of dairy industry effluent fertigation on agronomical characteristics of wheat (Triticum aestivum). Methods/Statistical Analysis: The treatments of such effluent, namely 0%, 25%, 50%, 75% and 100% were used for the cultivation of wheat. The effluent of such industry had significant amounts of nitrogen (28mg/l), phosphorous (13.10mg/l), potassium (168.2mg/l), copper (0.75mg/l), iron (<1mg/l) and nitrate (11.9mg/l) that may support plant growth. The effluent had no heavy metals like Cd, Co, Ni and Pb. Findings: The studies exposed that effluent at dilution of 50% showed the significant effect on seed germination percentage of 94.10 after seven days of irrigation. The shoot length (33.20cm), root length (12.90cm), total growth of plant (46.10cm), dry weight (0.57g), chlorophyll content (0.60) and nitrogen content (2.70%) were increased after one month of treatment with 50% concentration at lab scale. Significantly increased shoot length (48.35cm), root length (9.20cm), total growth of plant (57.55cm) and dry weight (0.71g) were observed maximum at concentration of 50% at pilot scale. The maximum agronomic performance of wheat was noticed with 50% concentration of dairy industry effluent. Application: The treated effluent of dairy industry had potential to be used as liquid fertilizer by mixing it with soil after appropriate dilution.
Dairy Industry, Dairy Industry Effluent, Irrigation, Macronutrients, Wheat.
- Dutta SK, Boissya CI. Effect of paper mill effluent on growth yield and NPK content of transplanted rice. Journal Environmental Biology. 1990; 20(29–32):29–32.
- Da Fonseca AF, Melfi AJ, Montes CR. Maize growth and changes in soil fertility after irrigation with treated sewage effluent I Plant dry matter yield and soil nitrogen and phosphorus availability. Communications in Soil Science and Plant Analysis. 2005; 36(13–14):1965–81. Crossref
- Dheri GS, Brar MS, Malhi SS. Heavy-metal concentration of sewage-contaminated water and its impact on underground water soil and crop plants in Alluvial soils of Northwestern India. Communication in Soil Science & Plant Anal. 2007; 38(9–10):1353–70. Crossref
- Belyea RL, Williams JE, Gieseka L, Clevenger TE, Brown JR. Evaluation of Dairy waste water solids as a feed Ingredient. Journal of Dairy Science. 1990; 73(7):1864–71. Crossref
- Gogate MG, Faroojqui UM, Joshi VS. Sewage water as potential for free growth–a study on teak Tactonagrandis plantation. AndianForester. 1995; 121(26):472–81.
- Naidu K, Madhusree, Raman GK. Distillery waterimpact on Arachis hypogeal. L. Journal of Environmental Biology.1995; 16:181–6.
- Saravanamoorthy MD, Ranjitha-Kumari BD. Effect of textile water on morphology and yield on two varieties of peanut. Journal of Agricultural Technology.2007; 3(2):335– 43.
- Ale R, Jha PK, Belbase N. Effects of distillery effluents on some agricultural crops A case of environmental injustice to local farmers in Khajura VDC Banke. Scientific World. 2008; 6(6):68–75.
- Aghabarati A, Hosseini S M, Maralian H. Heavy metal concentration of soil and olive trees (Oleaeuropaea L.) in Suburban areas of Tehran. Iran. Research Journal Environment Science. 2008; 2(5):323–9. Crossref
- Mahasneh. Treated waste water reuse in agriculture. I. Hussein medical centre project issue number 12. Bulletin of water research and study center University of Jordan; 1989
- Monroy HO, Vazquezz M, Derramadero JC, Guyot JP. Anerobic-aerobic treatment of Dairy waste water with national technology in Maxico the case of El Sanz. 3rd international symposium on waste management problems in Agro-industries, Mexico City; 1995. p. 202–9.
- Chang CW. Enzymatic degradation of starch in cotton leaves. Phytochemistry. 1982; 21(6):1263–9. Crossref
- Patel B, Kumar P, Kumar KTR. Study of physiochemical characteristics of sugar factory waste and its effect on seed germination of some wild trees. 1991, 4, pp. 90-91.
- Bishnoi&Gautam, D.D. Effect of diary effluents on seed germination and seedling growth of some crop plants. International Journal ofEconimic Environment Science. 1992; 4:111–15.
- Gupta, Arun, Nathawat GS. Effect of textiles effluents on germination and seedling growth of Pisumsativumvar RPG-3. Acta- Ecologica. 1992; 12(2):109–12.
- Nath K, Singh D, Sharma YK. Combinatorial effect of distillery and sugar factory effluent in crop. Journal EnvironmentalBiology. 2007; 28(3):577–82. PMid:18380078
- Pratap P. Impact of fertilizer factory effluent on seed germination, seedling growth and chlorophyll content of gram (Ciceraeritenum). Journal of Environmental Biology. 2006; 27(1):153–6.
- Bathla R, Kapoor RP. Studies on effect of pharmaceutical effluent on soil and early growth of paddy (Oryza sativa L). Environmental Pollution Control Journal. 2008; 11(4):42– 9.
- Veer B, Lata K. Effects of polluted municipal waste water on growt yield and levels of some biochemical components of Triticumaestivum. 1987; 15(2):242–6.
- Swaminathan KJ, Aryan R. Effect of glucose factory effluent on seed germination and seedling development of Groundnut. The Academy of Environmental Biology; 1997.p. 81–7.
- Al Omron AM, El-Maghraby SE. Long term effect of irrigation with the treated sewage effluent on some soil properties of Al-Hassa Governorate Saudi Arabia. Journal of the Saudi Society of Agricultural Sciences. 2012; 11(1):15–18. Crossref
- Abd El-Hady BA. Compare the effect of polluted and river Nile irrigation water on contents of heavy-metals of some soils and plants. Research Journal Agriculture Biology. 2007; 3(4):287–94.
- Cameron KC, Rate AW, Noonan MJ, Moore S, Smith NP, Kerr LE. Lysimeter study of the fate of nutrients following subsurface injection and surface application of dairy pond sludge to pasture. Agriculture EcosystemsEnvironment. 1996; 58(2–3):187–97. Crossref
- Kumar S. Effect of steel factory effluent on seed germination and seedling growth of Phaseolus mungo. 2006; 17(2):277–83.
- Pandey SN. Effect of brewery effluent on seedlings of Cajanuscajan and Virgo mungo. JournalApplied Bioscience. 2006; 32:199–222.
- Rusan MJM, Hinnawi S, Rousan L. Long term effect of waste water irrigation of forage crops on soil and plant quality parameters. Desalinization. 2007; 215(3):143–52. Crossref
- Samuel S, Muthukkaruppan SM. Physico-chemical analysis of sugar mill effluent contaminated soil and its effect on seed germination of paddy. International Journal of Pharmaceutical & Biological Archive. 2011; 2(5):1469–72.
- Sumithra S, Ankalaiah C, Rao DJ. Case study of physio chemical characterization of soil around industrial and agricultural area of Yerraguntla Kadapa District AP India. International Journal of Geology Earth & Environmental Sciences. 2013; 3(2):8–34
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.