Total views : 266
The Importance of ISO 9001 on Developing Countries with Reference to International Trade: A Review
Objective: Increasingly fierce competition in international trade has left firms in developing nations in "do or die" situations. Amongst the various reasons developing countries face business setbacks in the global village, the ability to affirm quality products/services stands out. However, considering that ISO 9001 standard has been developed in order to enhance international trade, this paper aims to provide a quick holistic glance on empirical research related to ISO 9001 and international trade of developing countries. Methodology: Empirical studies from the year 2000 till date, related to ISO 9001 and International trade were considered. Findings from these studies were summarized. Findings: The review discerned scarce up to date empirical papers on the subject matter. Findings from 11 empirical studies from the year 2003 to 2015 were summarized and the latter were concentrated in the direction that ISO 9001 certification enhances bilateral trade, mostly exports, especially for developing countries. ISO 9001 acting as a trade barrier was found to hold true for the minority. Given that worldwide trade is an ever evolving and dynamic sphere, future studies have to continuously revolve on the impact of ISO 9001 on international trade of developing countries specifically. Applications: The study presented in this paper can be used to analyze the impact of ISO 9001 standard worldwide.
International Trade, ISO 9001, Standards.
- ISO. ISO/TC 176 Business Plan N847 mimeo. 2005. p. 1–19.
- Lee JW. Capital goods import and long-run growth. Development Economics. 1995; 48(1):91–110. Crossref
- Wagner J. Exports and productivity: A survey of the evidence from firm level Data. The World Economy. 2007; 30(1):60–82. Crossref
- Love P, Lattimore R. OECD insights – International Trade Free Fair and Open. OECD Publishing; 2009. p. 194.
- Saggi K. Trade foreign direct investment and international technology transfer - A survey. World Bank Policy Research Working Papers. 2000; 2349:1–50.
- Lamaj J. The impact of International Trade and competition market on developing countries. Joint International Conferences; 2015. p. 1533–40.
- Vijayasri GV. The importance of International Trade in the World. International Journal of Marketing Financial Services and Management Research. 2013; 9(2):111–9.
- Clougherty JA, Grajek M. The impact of ISO 9000 diffusion on trade and FDI a new institutional analysis. Journal of International Business Studies. 2008; 39(4):613–33. Crossref
- Hudson J, Jones P. International trade in quality goods signaling problems for developing countries. Journal of International Development. 2003; 15(8):999–1013. Crossref
- World Trade Organization. World Trade Report; 2005. p. 1–266.
- Benezech D, Lambert G, Lanoux B, Lerch C, Loos-Baroin J. Completion of knowledge codification an illustration through the ISO 9000 standards implementation process.Research Policy. 2001; 30(9):1395–407. Crossref
- Ivarsson I, Alvstam CG. International technology transfer to local suppliers by Volvo trucks in India. Tijdschriftvoor Economischeen Sociale Geografie. 2004; 95(1):27–43. Crossref
- Casper S, Hancke B. Global quality norms within national production regimes. ISO 9000 standards in the French and German car industries. Organizational Studies. 1999; 20(6):961–86. Crossref
- Dissanayaka SM, Kumarsawamy MM, Karim K, Marosszeky M. Evaluating outcomes from ISO 9000-certified quality systems of Hong Kong constructors. Total Quality Management. 2001; 12(1):29–40. Crossref
- Boom A. Asymmetric international minimum quality standards and vertical differentiation. The Journal of Industrial Economics. 1995; 43(1):101–19. Crossref
- Gandal N, Shy O. Standardization policy and international trade. Journal of International Economics. 2001; 53(2):363– 83. Crossref
- Ganslandt M, Markusen JR. National standards and international trade. Research Institute of Industrial Economics Working Paper; 2001. p. 547.
- Moenius J. International standardization as a strategic tool. Do National Standards Hinder or Promote Trade in Electrical Products; 2006. p. 1–19.
- Brenton P, Sheehy J, Vancauteren M. Technical barriers to trade in the European Union importance for accession countries. Journal of Common Market Studies. 2001; 39(2):265–84. Crossref
- Hanson D. CE marking product standards and world trade. Edward Elgar Northampton MA. 2005. p. 236.
- Czubala W, Shepherd BW, John S. Help or hindrance the impact of harmonized standards on African exports. World Bank Development Policy Research Group; 2007. p. 1–39. Crossref
- Maskus KE, Wilson JS, Otsuki T. Quantifying the impact of technical barriers to trade a framework for analysis. World Bank Policy Research; 2000. p. 2512.
- Neumayer E, Perkins R. Uneven geographies of organizational practice explaining the cross-national transfer and diffusion of ISO 9000. Economic Geography. 2005; 81(3):237–59. Crossref
- Clougherty JA, Grajek M. International standards and international trade: Empirical evidence from ISO 9000 diffusion. International Journal of Industrial Organization. 2014; 36:70–82. Crossref
- German AL, Erlantz A. Inaki HS. Adoption of ISO 9001 Quality Management standard in Africa. International Journal for Quality Research. 2014; 8(1):61–72.
- Michal G. Diffusion of ISO 9000 standards and international trade. Discussion paper SP II 2004–16;Wissenschaftszentrum, Berlin. 2004. p. 1–37.
- Knut B, Axel M, John SW. Mutual recognition of accreditation does it matter to trade evidence from the food beverage and tobacco industry. Frontiers of Economics and Globalisation; 2013. p. 291–310.
- Cao X, Prakash A. Trade competition and domestic pollution. A panel study 1980–2003. International Organization. 2010; 64(03):481–503. Crossref
- Matthew P, Aseem P. Information asymmetries as trade barriers ISO 9000 increases international commerce. Journal of Policy Analysis and Management. 2009; 28(20):221–38.
- Kalani A, Malarvizhi CA, Sreenivasan J, Masoomeh HN, Langeroudi NMA, Ebadi F. Ansary A. The relationship between ISO 9000 and economic growth in Malaysia. Australian Journal of Basic and Applied Sciences. 2013; 7(11):77–82.
- Toktam M. The role of standards in bilateral trade - The IRAN experience. Advances in Business-Related Scientific Research Conference; 2015.
- Blind K. The impact of innovations and standards on trade of measurement and testing products empirical results of Switzerland’s bilateral trade flows with Germany, France and the UK. Information Economics and Policy. 2001; 13(4):439–60. Crossref
- Blind K. The economics of standards theory evidence policy. Edward Elgar. 2004.
- Hudson J, Philip J. International trade in quality goods signaling problems for developing countries. Journal of International Development. 2000; 15(8):999–1013. Crossref 35. Hughes A. Retailers, knowledges and changing commodity networks: The case of the cut flower trade. Geoforum. 2000; 31(2):175–90.
- Clougherty JA, Grajek M. The impact of ISO 9000 diffusion on trade and FDI: A new institutional analysis. Governance and the Efficiency of Economic Systems Discussion. 2006.
- Maskus KE, Otsuki T, Wilson JS. The costs of complying with foreign product standards for firms in developing countries an econometric study. Institute of Behavioral Science Working Paper; 2004. p. 1–35.
- Mendel PJ. International standardization and global governance the spread of quality and environmental management standards. Organizations Policy and the Natural Environment Institutional and Strategic Perspectives; 2002. p. 407–24.
- Moenius J. Information versus product adaptation: The Role of Standards in Trade. Mimeo Northwestern University; 2004. p. 1–41.
- Porter ME. The competitive advantage of nations.1990.
- Rauch JE, Trindade V. Ethnic Chinese networks in international trade. The Review of Economics and Statistics. 2002; 84(1):116–30. Crossref
- Swann P, Temple P, Shurmer M. Standards and trade performance the UK experience. The Economic Journal. 1996; 106(438):1297–313. Crossref
- Tanner D. Updates and trends on ISO 14000 implementation in Asia. Corporate Environmental Strategy. 1998; 5(3):71–6. Crossref
- Terlaak AK, Andrew A. The effect of certification with the ISO 9000 quality management standard: A signaling approach. Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization. 2006; 60(4):579–602. Crossref
- Xun C, Aseem P. Growing exports by signaling product quality trade competition and the cross-national diffusion of ISO 9000 Quality Standards. Journal of Policy Analysis and Management. 2011; 30(1):111–35. Crossref
- Withers B, Ebrahimpour M. Does ISO 9000 certification affect the dimensions of quality used for competitive advantage? European Management Journal. 2000; 18(4):431–43. Crossref
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.