Total views : 219
Modelling and Simulation of Brake Disc for Thermal Analysis
Brakes being major component in automobiles requires at most attention and advances for road safety. When brakes are applied heat is generated. This heat has to be dissipated very fast to maintain a constant temperature of the brake disc. Maintaining a constant temperature minimizing the thermal fatigue of the brake disc material. Against this background, thermal analysis of various areas and materials of disc brakes is carried out using commercial Ansys Finite volume based CFD Solver the domain is a brake disc of all-terrain vehicle with three materials namely; Grey cast Iron, Aluminum and High speed steel. In addition, the surfaces of the disc were also modified of each disc material by creating various shape hole such as circular, elliptical, oblique-circular , oblique-elliptical, and vanes vents on the surface of disc.
ATV, Brake Disk, Brake Systems, Circular Vents, Materials.
- Lanchester Fredrick. Improvements in the brake mechanism of power-propelled road vehicles. GBD190226407 19021201, 1903-10-15.
- Manjunath TV, Suresh PM. Structural and thermal analysis of rotor disc of disc brake. International Journal of Innovative Research in Science, Engineering and Technology.2013 December; 2(12):7741–9.
- Adrian Thuresson. CFD and Design Analysis of Brake Disc, Master’s Thesis in Automotive Engineering, Department of Applied Mechanics, Division of Vehicle, Engineering and Autonomous Systems. Gothenburg, Sweden; Road Vehicle Aerodynamics and Thermal Management, Chalmers University of Technology; Master’s Thesis 2014:11.
- Faramarz Talati, Salman Jalalifar. Analysis of heat conduction in a disc brake system. Springer-Verlag; 27 January 2009. .
- Swapnil R. Abhang DP, Bhaskar, Design and analysis of Disc Brake. International Journal of Engineering Trends and Technology (IJETT).2014 Feb; 8(4): 165–7.
- Jean Greselle Balotin, Patric Daniel Neis, Ney Francisco Ferreira. Analysis of the influence of temperature on the friction coefficient of friction. ABCM Symposium Series in Mechatronics. 2010; 4:898–906.
- Maleque MA, Dyuti S, Rahman MM. Material selection method in design of automotive brake disc. Proceedings of the World Congress on Engineering, London, U.K: 2010 June 30 - July 2. Vol III WCE.
- Eggleston D, Thermal Judder. EURAC Technical Bulletin 00034053. extracted from Doctoral thesis: An investigation into frictional surface interactions and their effect on cold judder.2000.
- Borchate Sourabh Shivaji, Hanamapure NS, Swapnil S. Kulkarni.Design analysis and performance optimization of disc brake. International Journal of Advanced Engineering Research and Studies.2014 Apr- June; E-ISSN2249–8974.
- William F, Milliken, Douglas L. Milliken.Race Car Vehicle Dynamics. SAE International; 1994.
- Thomas D. Gillespie.Fundamentals of Vehicle Dynamics. Society of Automotive Engineers Inc.; February 1992. Crossref
- Huyett GL.Engineering Handbook Technical Information. Minneapolis, KS:.Huyett Expy;2004.
- Ferranti B, Santos A, Júnior A.Theoretical and experimental thermal analysis of brake discs for formula SAE racing vehicles. SAE Technical Paper 2008-36-0025. 2008. Crossref
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.