Total views : 113
Elastic Modulus Behavior of Multi-Walled Carbon Nano-Tubes/Polyurethane Composites using Nano- Indentation Techniques
Composites of uniformly dispersed Multi-Walled Carbon Nanotubes(MWCNTs)(1wt%, 3wt%, 7wt% and 10wt%) and Polyurethane(PU) were prepared by solution mixing method. Small disc shaped specimens were fabricated for static mechanical characterization using nano-indentation techniques. Field Emission Scanning Electron Microscopy (FESEM) was done to validate the presence of MWCNTs in PU matrix. Static mechanical characterization was performed on PU/ MWCNTs nano-composites by using nano-indentation techniques. It was observed that the elastic modulus of PU/MWCNTs composites with 10wt% increased by 124.5% in comparison to pure PU. For minor composition of 3wt% the rise in elastic modulus was nearly about 50%. This significant rise in mechanical properties of PU based composite materials opens up several new avenues of engineering applications related to high strength & light weight boots, gloves, and helmets.
Elastic Modulus, Mechanical Properties, MWCNTs, Nano-Indentation, PU.
- Mathur RB, Pande S, Singh BP, Dham TL. Electrical and Mechanical Properties of Multi-Walled Carbon Nanotubes Reinforced PMMA and PS Composites. Polym Compos. 2008; 29(7):717–27. Crossref
- Singh S, Kaur A, Jindal P. Mechanical Behaviour Of Mwcnt Reinforced Polymer Composites : A Review. Adv Mater Manuf Technol. 2015; 4(10):68–72.
- Jindal P, Goyal M, Kumar N. Modeling Composites of Multi-Walled Carbon Nanotubes in Polycarbonate. Int J Comput Methods Eng Sci Mech. 2013; 14(6):542–51. Crossref
- Jandial S, Jindal P. Review of Carbon Nanotubes/Poly (methyl methacrylate) Composite Fabrication and Mechanical Characterization Techniques. Int J Res Advent Technol. 2014; 2(2).
- Dresselhaus MS, Dresselhaus G, Charlier JC, Hernandez E.Electronic, thermal and mechanical properties of carbon nanotubes. Philos Trans A Math Phys Eng Sci. 2004 Oct; 362(1823):2065–98.
- Halley P, Murphy M, Martin D, Mcnally T, Po P, Bell SEJ, Brennan GP, Bein D, Lemoine P, Paul J. Polyethylene multiwalled carbon nanotube composites. Polymer (Guildf). 2005; 46:8222–32. Crossref
- Yoo HJ, Jung YC, Sahoo NG, Cho JW. PolyurethaneCarbon Nanotube Nanocomposites Prepared by In -Situ Polymerization with Electroactive Shape Memory. J Macromol Sci. 2006; 45(4):441–51. Crossref
- Tijing LD, Park C, Lim W, Tom M, Ruelo G, Amarjargal A, Raj H, Im I, Sang C. Characterization and mechanical performance comparison of multiwalled carbon nanotube / polyurethane composites fabricated by electrospinning and solution casting. Compos. Part B. 2013; 44(1):613–9.Crossref
- Lopes MC, De Castro VG, Seara LM, Perige V, Diniz A, Lavall RL, Silva GG. Thermosetting Polyurethane-Multiwalled Carbon Nanotube Composites : Thermomechanical Properties and Nanoindentation. Appl Polym Sci. 2014; 41207:1–8. Crossref
- Gupta TK, Singh BP, Dhakate SR, Singh VN, Mathur RB.Improved nanoindentation and microwave shielding properties of modified MWCNT reinforced polyurethane. J Mater Chem A. 2013; 1:9138–49. Crossref
- Jindal NKP, Goyal M. Mechanical characterization of multiwalled carbon nanotubes-polycarbonate composites.
- Mater Des. 2014; 54:1–6. Crossref
- Guo S, Zhang C, Wang W, Liu T, Tjiu W C, He C, Zhang W. Preparation and Characterization of Polyurethane/ Multiwalled Carbon Nanotube Composites. Polym Polym Compos. 2008;16(8).
- Barick AK, Tripathy DK. Preparation, characterization and properties of acid functionalized multi-walled carbon nanotube reinforced thermoplastic polyurethane nanocomposites. Mater Sci Eng B. 2011; 176(18):1435–47. Crossref
- Wu T, Chen E, Lin Y, Chiang M, Chang G. Preparation and Characterization of Melt-Processed Polycarbonate/ Multiwalled Carbon Nanotube Composites. Polym Eng Sci. 2008; 1371–5. Crossref
- Jindal P, Sain M, Kumar N. Mechanical Characterization of PMMA/MWCNT Composites Under Static and Dynamic Loading Conditions. Mater Today Proc. 2015; 2(4–5):1364– 72. Crossref
- Xia H, Song M. Preparation and characterization of polyurethane – carbon nanotube composites. Soft Matter. 2005; 1:386–94. Crossref
- Kim KH, Jo WH. Improvement of tensile properties of poly (methyl methacrylate) by dispersing multi-walled carbon nanotubes functionalized with poly (3-hexylthiophene) graft -poly (methyl methacrylate). 2008; 68:2120–4.
- Ramamurty U, Rao CNR, Vivekachand SRC. Mechanical properties of inorganic nanowire reinforced polymer – matrix. Nanotechnology. 2006; 17(11):S344–50. Crossref
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.