Total views : 161
Synergistic Impact of Total Quality Management and Total Productive Maintenance on Manufacturing Performance
Objective: To study the impact of synergistic application of TQM and TPM on manufacturing performance of an organization. Method: In the present work, six parameters (productivity, quality, cost, delivery, safety, morale) of manufacturing performance have been identified and attempt has been made to devise a correlation between these parameters when these two business activities are applied synergistically. This study has been done on the basis of implementation of TPM and TQM in Mahindra and Mahindra, Swaraj Division, SAS Nagar. Findings: It has been concluded that less visible improvement in manufacturing performance is achieved when TPM approach is implemented individually but substantial results become visible when it is implemented in association with TQM. In fact, TPM and TQM models extend over each other’s domain for building structure of product quality. Improvement: Order of manufacturing performance parameters should be prioritized for every company.
Kaizen, Manufacturing Organizations, Manufacturing Performance, Total Productive Maintenance (TPM), Total Quality Management (TQM)
- Ahuja IS, Khamba JS, Choudhary R. Improved organizational behavior through strategic total productive maintenance implementation. ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition American Society of Mechanical Engineers; 2006. p. 91–8. Crossref
- Tsuchiya S. Quality Maintenance Zero Defects through Equipment Management. Cambridge MA: Productivity Press; 1992.
- Cooke FL. Implementing TPM in plant maintenance some organizational barriers. International Journal of Quality and Reliability Management. 2000; 17(9):1003– 16. Crossref
- Nakajima S. Introduction to Total Productive Maintenance (TPM). Portland OR: Productivity Press; 1988.
- Moore R. Combining TPM and reliability-focused maintenance.Plant Engineering. 1997; 51(6):88–90.
- Psychogios AG, Priporas CV. Understanding total quality management in context Qualitative research on managers’ awareness of TQM aspects in the Greek service industry.The Qualitative Report. 2007; 12(1):40–66.
- Anderson JC, Rungtusathan M, Schroeder R. A theory of quality management underlying the Deming management method. Academy of Management Review. 1994; 19(3):472–509. Crossref
- Miyake DI. Matching the promotion of total quality control and total productive maintenance: an emerging pattern for the nurturing of well-balanced manufacturers. Total Quality Management. 1999; 10(2):243–69. Crossref
- Seth D, Tripathi D. Relationship between TQM and TPM implementation factors and business performance of manufacturing industry in Indian context. International Journal of Quality and Reliability Management. 2005; 22(3):256–77. Crossref
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.