Total views : 178
Multi Sensor Data Fusion based Gear Fault Diagnosis using Complete Ensemble Empirical Mode Decomposition with Adaptive Noise
Objective: To develop a methodology based on multi sensor data fusion approach which combined vibration and sound signals to identify the gearbox faults using Complete Ensemble Empirical Mode Decomposition with Adaptive Noise (CEEMDAN). Method: The vibration and sound signals acquired from a gearbox are decomposed into a number of IMFs using CEEMDAN. Best IMF is selected based on proposed fault index and the statistical parameters are extracted from the IMFs of vibration and sound signals for different simulated faults. Principal Component Analysis (PCA) is implemented in order to select the best features. K-nearest neighbor classifier is used to demonstrate the classification accuracy. Findings: Initially statistical parameters were extracted for raw vibration and sound signals in order to obtain the fault severity. But due to uneven trend these were failed to reveal the fault information with higher accuracy. CEEMDAN based feature sets provide good diagnosis results due to its capability to decompose signal into different higher to lower frequency modes called IMFs. Hence, it is concluded that the proposed method has the ability to extract the gearbox fault characteristic and diagnose the severity of fault. Sensitive IMF selection is a paramount to swift the overall performance of a diagnosis system. Improvement: The results show that the data fusion approach and combination of CEEMDAN and PCA techniques employs the advantages traits of one or the other technique to generate overall improvement in diagnosing severity of local faults.
Complete Ensemble Empirical Mode Decomposition with Adaptive Noise, Fault Diagnosis, Fixed Axis Gearbox, Multi Sensor Data Fusion, Sound, Vibration
- Goyal D, Pabla BS. Condition based maintenance of machine tools—A review. CIRP Journal of Manufacturing Science and Technology. 2015 Aug;10: 24–35. Crossref
- Goyal D, Pabla BS. The vibration monitoring methods and signal processing techniques for structural health monitoring A review. Archives of Computational Methods in Engineering. 2016 Dec;23 (4):585–94. Crossref
- Goyal D, Vanraj, Pabla BS, Dhami SS. Condition monitoring parameters for fault diagnosis of fixed axis gearbox a review. Archives of Computational Methods in Engineering. 2016. p.1–4.
- Bourlard HA, Morgan N. Connectionist speech recognition a hybrid approach Springer Science & Business Media. 2012.
- Hopp SL, Owren MJ, Evans CS, Animal acoustic communication sound analysis and research methods SpringerScience & Business Media. 2012.
- Xie S, Jin F, Krishnan S, Sattar F. Signal feature extraction by multi-scale PCA and its application to respiratory sound classification, Medical & Biological Engineering and Computing. 2012; 50(7):759–68. Crossref. PMid:22467314
- Uğuz H. A biomedical system based on artificial neural network and principal component analysis for diagnosis of the heart valve diseases. Journal of Medical Systems. 2012 Feb; 36 (1): 61–72. Crossref. PMid:20703748
- Goyal D, Pabla BS. Development of non-contact structural health monitoring system for machine tools. Journal of Applied Research and Technology. 2016 Aug;14 (4):245– 58. Crossref
- Vanraj, Goyal D, Saini A, Dhami SS, Pabla BS. Intelligent predictive maintenance of dynamic systems using condition monitoring and signal processing techniques—A review Advances in Computing Communication & Automation (ICACCA) (Spring). 2016.p.1–6.
- Heurtier AH, Abraham P, Mahé G. Analysis of laser speckle contrast images variability using a novel empirical mode decomposition: comparison of results with laser Doppler flowmetry signals variability. IEEE transactions on medical imaging. 2015; 34(2): 618–27. Crossref. PMid:25347875
- Hassan AR, Bhuiyan MI. Computer-aided sleep staging using complete ensemble empirical mode decomposition with adaptive noise and bootstrap aggregating Biomedical Signal Processing and Control. 2016;24:1– 10. Crossref
- Flandrin P, Rilling G, Goncalves P. Empirical mode decomposition as a filter bank. IEEE signal processing letters.2004;11(2):112–14. Crossref
- Wu Z, Huang NE. Ensemble empirical mode decomposition: a noise-assisted data analysis method. Advances in adaptive data analysis. 2009; 1(01):1–41. Crossref
- Torres ME, Colominas MA, Schlotthauer G, Flandrin P. A complete ensemble empirical mode decomposition with adaptive noise. Acoustics Speech and Signal Processing (ICASSP). 2011.p.4144–147.
- Colominas MA, Schlotthauer G, Torres ME. Improved complete ensemble EMD A suitable tool for biomedical signal processing Biomedical Signal Processing and Control. 2014. p.19–29. Crossref
- Torres ME, Colominas MA, Schlotthauer G, Flandrin P. A complete ensemble empirical mode decomposition with adaptive noise. Acoustics Speech and Signal Processing (ICASSP). 2011.p. 4144–147.
- Vanraj, Saini A, Goyal D, Dhami SS, Pabla BS. Sound emission based sensor location optimization in fixed axis gearbox using support vector machines Communication and Computing Systems CRC Press. 2016.P. 867–72.
- Randall RB. Vibration-based condition monitoring industrial aerospace and automotive applications. John Wiley & Sons. 2011. Crossref
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.