Total views : 120
Redundancy-Allocation in Neel Metal Products Limited
Objective: In manufacturing setup, limited budget is allocated for each system. In order to increase reliability of the system, redundancy is allocated within given cost constraints. Objective of this paper is to come out with the best optimal solution and increase their liability of a system under cost constraint in a manufacturing plant. Methods: In this paper Heuristic Algorithm (HA) and Constrained Optimization Genetic Algorithm (COGA) are used to optimize constrained Redundancy Allocation Problem (RAP) in a manufacturing plant. These methods are used to allocate the best redundancy strategy for each subsystem with a view to increase the reliability of the system under cost constraints. Best optimal solution is reached by comparing results of CPU time taken by these two methods. Findings: Generally RAP is a NP hard problem and a non-linear integer programming problem, which is difficult to solve. Both methods are applied and comparison between reliability of both the methods is made on the basis of which result obtained by COGA is 0.8632 which is found better against HA which is 0.8380. Application: Results applied in the manufacturing plant which resulted in the increase of reliability by using best redundancy strategy.
COGA, HA, Optimization, Reliability, Redundancy
- Ghare PM, Taylor RE. Optimal redundancy for reliability in series system. Operation Research. 1969; 17(5):838–47.Crossref
- Tillman FA, Hwang CL, Kuo W. Optimization of system reliability. New York: Marcel Dekker; 1980. PMCid:PMC1272065.
- Chern MS. On the computational complexity of reliability redundancy allocation in series system. Operation Research Letter. 1992; 11(5):309–15. Crossref
- Ardaken MA, Hamadani AZ. Reliability redundancy allocation problem with cold- standby redundancy strategy.Simulation Modelling Practice and Theory. 2014; 42(3):107–18. Crossref
- Coelho LS. Reliability-redundancy optimization by means of a chaotic differential evolution approach. Chaos, Solitons and Fractals. 2009; 41(2):594–602. Crossref
- Kim JH, Yum BJ. A heuristic method for solving redundancy optimization problems in complex systems. IEEE Transactions on Reliability. 1993; 42(4):572–8. Crossref
- Kuo W, Prasad VR. An annotated overview of system-reliability optimization. IEEE Transactions on Reliability. 2000; 49(2):176–87. Crossref
- Kuo W, Wan R. Recent advances in optimal reliability allocation.IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, Part A: Systems and Humans. 2007; 37:143–56. Crossref
- Deeter DL, Smith AE. Economic design of reliable network. IEEE Transactions on Reliability. 1998; 30:1161–74. Crossref
- Ravi V, Murty BSN, Reddy PJ. Nonequilibrium simulated annealing- algorithm applied to reliability optimization of complex systems. IEEE Transactions on Reliability. 1997; 46:233–9. Crossref
- Ramirez MJE, Coit DW, Konak A. Redundancy allocation for series-parallel systems using a max-min approach. IIE Transactions. 2004; 42(21):891–8. Crossref
- Liang YC, Smith AE. An ant colony optimization algorithm for the redundancy allocation problem. IEEE Transactions on Reliability. 2004; 53(3):417–23. Crossref
- Onishi J, Kimura S, James RJW, Nakagawa Y. Solving the redundancy allocation problem with a mix of componentsusing the improved surrogate constraint method. IEEE Transactions on Reliability. 2007; 56(1):94–101. Crossref
- Billionnet A. Redundancy allocation for series-parallel systems using integer linear programming. IEEE Transactions on Reliability. 2008; 57(3):507–16. Crossref
- Garg D, Kumar K, Pahuja GL. Redundancy-allocation in pharmaceutical plant. International Journal of Engineering Science and Technology. 2010; 2(5):1088–97.
- Holland JH. Adaptation in natural and artificial systems.Cambridge: MIT Press; 1975.
- Sivanandam SN, Deepa SN. Introduction to genetic algorithms. India: Springer-Verlag; 2008.
- Kinnear KE. A perspective on the work in this book. Advances in Genetic Programming. Cambridge: MIT Press; 1994. PMCid:PMC1238770.
- Goldberg DE. Genetic algorithms in search, optimization, and machine learning. Reading: Addison-Wesley; 1989.
- Gen M, Yokota T, Taguchi T. Optimal design of system reliability using genetic algorithm. Proc of 10th Fuzzy Sys Symp; 1994. p. 181–4.
- Coit DW, Smith AE. Reliability optimization of series-parallel systems using a genetic algorithm. IEEE Transaction on Reliability. 1996; 45(2):254–60. Crossref
- Coit DW, Smith AE. Use of a genetic algorithm to optimize a combinatorial reliability problem. Proceedings of 3rd IIE Residual Conference; 1995. p. 342–9.
- Coit DW, Smith AE. Penalty guided genetic search for reliability design optimization. Computers and Industrial Engineering. 1996; 30(4):895–904. Crossref
- Ida K, Gen M, Yokata I. System reliability optimization with several failure modes by geneic algorithm. Proceedings of 16th International Conference on Camp and Indust Engng; 1994. p. 348–52.
- Painton L, Campbell J. Identification of components to optimize improvements in system reliability. Proc of the SRA PSAM-II Conf on System-Based Methods for the Design and Operation of Technological Systems and Processes; 1994. p. 10–20.
- Painton L, Campbell J. Genetic algorithms in optimization of system reliability. IEEE Transaction on Reliability. 1995; 44:172–8. Crossref
- Holland JH. Genetic algorithm and the optimal allocation of trials. SIAM Journal on Computing. 1973; 2(2):88–105. Crossref
- Jong KE. De. An analysis of the behavior of a class of genetic adaptive systems [PhD thesis] Univ of Michigan; 1975.
- Davis L. Genetic algorithms and simulated annealing. Los Altos, CA: Morgan Kaufman Publishers Inc; 1987.
- Liepins GE, Hilliard MR. Genetic algorithms: Foundations and applications. Annals of Operations Research. 1989; 21:31–58. Crossref
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.