Total views : 115
Performance Enhancement of Wind Energy System with Distribution Static Compensator
Objectives: In this paper, dynamic performance of Wind Energy System (WES) comprising of Squirrel Cage Induction Generator (SCIG) is analyzed for grid connected operation with DSTATCOM. Methods/Statistical analysis: In the present work, modeling, analysis and working of a low voltage distribution system supported with wind energy conversion system is analyzed. A Distribution STAtic COMpensator (DSTATCOM) has been modeled and simulated using MATLAB. The effectiveness of the proposed system has been verified by simulation and analytical results. The indirect current control technique is employed for present analysis as it is simple, robust and favourable as compared to other methods. Findings: The DSTATCOM improves the performance of Wind Energy System (WES) under transient condition i.e. change in wind speed and sudden change in load. The DSTATCOM augmented with wind energy system addresses the power quality and grid stability issues. Application/Improvements: The DSTATCOM in present study provides transient voltage support and also maintains the stability of a WES.When wind penetration increases beyond 30%, the system loses stability. A detailed simulations study is carried out on the application of DSTATCOM to improve the stability of the system
DSTATCOM, Squirrel Cage Induction Generator (SCIG), Wind Energy System (WES), Wind Generator, Grid Code
- Tzanakis I, Hadfield M, Thomas B, Noya SM, Henshaw I, Austen S. Future perspectives on sustainable tribology.Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews. 2012; 16(6):4126-40. Crossref
- Georgilakis PS. Technical challenges associated with the integration of wind power into power systems. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews. 2008; 12(3):852-63.Crossref
- Liserre M, Sauter T, Hung JY. Future energy systems integrating renewable energy sources into the smart power grid through industrial electronics. IEEE Ind Electronics Magzine. 2010; 4(1):418–37.
- Huang AQ, Baran ME, Bhattacharya S, Litzenberger W, Anderson L, Johnson AL, Edris AA. STATCOM impact study on the integration of a large wind farm into weak loop power system. IEEE Transaction on Energy Conversion.2008; 23(1):226-33. Crossref
- Akhmatov Z, Knudsen H, Nielsen A H, Pedersen JK, Poulsen NK. Modeling and transient stability of large wind farm.Electrical Power and Energy System. 2003; 25(2):123-44.doi:1016/S0142-0615(02)00017-0
- Slootweg JG, Kling WH. Modeling of large wind farm in power system simulations. Proceedings of IEEE; 2002. p.503-8. Crossref
- Sorensen P, Unnikrishnan AK, Sajan AM. Wind farm connected to weak grids in India. Wind Energy. 2004; 4(3):137-49. Crossref
- Blaabjerg F, Teodorescu R, Liserre M, Timbus AV. Overview of control and grid synchronization for distributed power generation systems power generation systems. IEEE Transaction on industrial Electronics. 2006; 53(5):1398409. Crossref
- Singh M, Khadkikar V, Chandra A, Varma RK. Grid interconnection of renewable energy sources at the distribution level with power quality improvement features. IEEE Transaction on Power Delivery. 2011; 26(1):307-15. Crossref
- Carrasco J M, Franquelo L G, Bialasiewicz J T, Galván E,GuisadoR C, PratsM A M,León J I, Alfonso N M. Power Electronic Systems for the Grid Integration of Renewable Energy Sources A Survey. IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., 2006 Jun; 53(4):1002–16. Crossref
- Heier S. Grid Integration of Wind Energy Conversion Systems. NJ: Wiley Chichester UK; 1998.
- Palsson MP, Toftevaag T, Uhlen K, Tande JOG. Largescale wind power integration and voltage stability limits in regional networks. Proceedings of IEEE Power Engineering Society Summer Meeting; 2002. p. 2762 –9. Crossref
- Foster S, Xu L, Fox B. Grid integration of wind farm using SVC and STATCOM. Proceedings of IEEE; 2006. p. 157-61.
- Zhou F, Jooz G, Abbey C. Voltage stability in weak connection wind farms. Proceedings on Power Engineering Society General Meeting; 2005. p.1483-8.
- Ramirez D, Martinez S, Blazquez F, Carrero C. Use of STATCOM in wind farm with fixed speed generators for grid code compliance. Renewable Energy. 2012; 37(1):20212. Crossref
- EL-Helw HM, Tennakoon SB. Evaluation of the suitability of a fixed speed wind turbine for large scale wind farms considering the new UK grid code. Renewable Energy Science Direct. 2008 Jan; 33(1):1-12. Crossref
- Tsili M, Papathanassiou S.A review of grid code technology requirements for wind turbine. 2009; 3(3):308–32.
- Teja KS, Prakash RBR. Power quality improvement using custom power devices in squirrel cage induction generator wind farm to weak-grid connection by using neuro-fuzzy control. International Journal of Power Electronics. 2015; 5(4):477-85.
- Arulampalam A, Barnes M, Jenkins N, Ekanayake JB.Power quality and stability improvement of a wind farm using STATCOM supported with hybrid battery energy storage. Proceedings on IEE Generation Transmission and Distribution. 2006; 153(6):701-10. Crossref
- Mohod SW, Aware MV. A Statcom control scheme for grid connected wind energy system for power quality improvement. IEEE Transaction on Systems Journal. 2010; 4(3):346-52. Crossref
- Renders B, Gusseme K D,Ryckaert W R, Stockman K,Vandevelde L, Bollen MHJ. Distributed generation for Mitigating voltage Dips in Low Voltage distribution Grid. IEEE Transaction on Power Delivery. 2008; 23(3):1581-8.Crossref
- Freitas W, Morelato A, Xu W, Sato F. Impact of AC generators and DSTATCOM devices on the dynamic performance of distribution systems. IEEE transaction on Power Delivery. 2005; 20(2):1493-501. Crossref
- Chen Z, Gurrero JM, Blaabjerg F. A review of the state of the art of power electronics for wind turbines. IEEE transaction on Power Electronics. 2009; 24(8): 1859-72. Crossref
- Ragul D, Selvakumar K, Boopathi CS, Raja K. Power smoothening of grid connected direct-driven Permanent Magnet Synchronous Generator (PMSG) Wind Turbines.2016; 42(9):1-8. Crossref
- Reddy KS, Rao AA, Rao KG. Enhancement of power quality through shunt compensators and main grid interfaced with DGs. Indian Journal Science Technology. 2015; 23(8):1-8 Crossref
- Chen Z, Li H. Overview of different wind generator systems and their comparisons. IET Renewable PowerGeneration.2007, 2(2), pp.123-138.
- Wessels C, Fuch F, Molinas M.Statcom control at wind farm with fixed speed induction generators under asymmetrical grid faults. IEEE transaction on industrial electronics. 2013; 60(7):2864-73. Crossref
- Trudnowski DJ, Gentile A, Khan M, Petritz EM. Fixedspeed wind-generator and wind-park modeling for
- transient stability studies. IEEE Transaction Power System.2004; 19(4):1911-7. Crossref
- Fernandez LM, Saenz JR, Jurado F. Dynamic models of wind farm with fixed speed wind turbines. Renewable Energy. 2006; 31(8):1203-30. Crossref
- Uctug Y, Demirekler M. Modeling analysis and control of a wind-turbine driven self-excited induction generator.Proceeding on IEEE power and Energy Society; 1998. p.268-75.
- Holdsworth L, Wu XG, Ekanayak JB, Jenkins N. Comparison of fixed-speed and doubly-fed induction generator wind turbines during power system disturbances. Proceedings on Generation, Transmission and Distribution; 2003. p.343-52. Crossref
- Kothari DP, Singal K C, Ranjan R. Renewable Energy Sources and Emerging Technologies. 2nd ed. New Delhi: PHI Learning; 2012.
- Singh B, Murthy SS, Gupta S. Statcom based voltage regulator for self excited induction generator feeding nonlinear loads. IEEE Transaction on Industrial Electronics. 2006; 53(5):1437-52. Crossref
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.