Total views : 2867
Students’ Attitude towards English Language Learning and their Academic Achievement among First Year Engineering Graduates: A Case Study
The current research paper focuses on the attitude of the first year engineering students towards English Language in order to implement some innovative technique in teaching English language. It is an exploration in investigating the fresher's of first year B.Tech students' attitude towards English Language Learning and their association with their academic achievement. To meet the objectives of the study the primary data was collected from the first year B.Tech students. As samples for the case study, the researcher contacted one section of first year B.Tech of about 40 students from Dr. M.G.R. Educational and Research institute, University, Maduravoyal, Chennai. The students of 30 girls and 10 boys were taken into consideration. A closed ended Attitude questionnaire, developed by Samar Rukh - 2014 is used for the present study. The inventory consists of 10 statements. The findings suggest that girls and boys from English medium, private-aided school, exclusively girls school students have more Positive Attitude towards English Language learning and their association with their academic achievement than the regional medium students.
Academic Achievement, Attitude Questionnaire, Case Study, Exploration, Positive Attitude.
- Gardner R. On the validity of affective variables in second language acquisition: Conceptual and statistical considerations. Language learning; 1980. Crossref
- Veeraraghavan V. The performance of a student will be a function of the type of school in which he/ she studies. Indian Education Review; 1983.
- Deka HC. Achievement motivation and academic achievement among tea-garden workers children. Journal of Educational Research and Extension. 1984; 21.
- Ahluwalia I. A study of factors affecting achievement motivation. Cited by Buch MB, Fourth Survey of Research in Education (1983–1988); 1985.
- Levine G. Student and instructor believes and attitudes about target language use, first language use and anxiety: Report of a questionnaire study. The Modern Language Journal; 2003. Crossref
- Graham S. Giving up on Modern Foreign Languages? Students Perceptions of Learning French. The Modern Language Journal; 2004. Crossref
- Csizer K, Dornyei 2005. The internal structure of language learning motivation and its relationship with language choice and learning effort. The Modern Language Journal. Crossref
- Atef A-T, Shuib M. Motivation and attitudes towards learning English: A study of petrolium engineering undergraduates at Hadhramout University of Sciences and Technology. GEMA Online Journal of Language Studies; 2009.
- Abidin MJZ, Mohhammadi MP, Aizwari H. EFL Students’ attitudes towards learning English language: The case of Libyan secondary school students. Asian Social Science; 2012.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.