Total views : 121
Historical Trends and Recent Developments in Solar Greenhouse Dryer Operated Under Active Mode: A Review
Background/Objectives: Today the greenhouse drying technology has reached at a remarkable stage due to its tremendous contribution towards saving the agricultural products from spoilage. This has helped the whole world to progress at a fast rate as they are able to save a lot of conventional energy requirements which was being wasted earlier in food. The main objective of this paper is to provide a general idea of progress that has occurred in the field of active greenhouse solar dryer time to time. Methods: This paper focuses on some historical work in the field of active greenhouse drying and recent development in this field to improve the performance in terms of temperature and quality of the agricultural products. Findings: This review paper provides detailed and systematic information of research carried out in the field of solar greenhouse drying operated under forced convection mode. Applications: This review work not only provides the general reference to the researchers working in the same field but also helps to farmers for the possible modifications in the method of drying and further improvements in future.
Convective Mass Transfer Coefficient, Forced Convection, Performance, Solar Greenhouse Dryer
- Tiwari GN, Sanjeev K, Prakash O. Evaluation of convective mass transfer coefficient during drying of jiggery, Journal of Food Engineering. 2004 Jun; 63(2):219−27. Crossref.
- Condorí M, Echazú R, Saravia L. Solar drying of sweet pepper and garlic using the tunnel greenhouse dryer, Renewable Energy. 2001 Apr; 22:447−60. Crossref.
- Hossain MA, Bala BK. Drying of hot chilli using solar tunnel dryer, Solar Energy. 2007 Jan; 81(1):85−92. Crossref.
- Morad MM, El-Shazly MA, Wasfy KI, El-Maghawry HAM.Thermal analysis and performance evaluation of a solar tunnel greenhouse dryer for drying peppermint plants, Renewable Energy. 2017 Feb; 101:992−1004. Crossref.
- Kumar A, Tiwari GN. Effect of mass on convective mass transfer coefficient during open sun and greenhouse drying of onion flakes, Journal of Food Engineering. 2007 Apr; 79(4):1337−50. Crossref.
- Nayak S, Tiwari GN. Energy and exergy analysis of photovoltaic/ thermal integrated with solar greenhouse, Energy and Buildings. 2008 Dec; 40(11):2015−21. Crossref.
- Janjai S. Experimental and simulated performance of a PV-ventilated solar greenhouse dryer for drying of peeled longan and banana, Solar Energy. 2009 Sept; 83(9):1550−65.Crossref.
- Janjai S, Poolsak I, Jinda K, Chanoke S, Vathsana K. A large-scale solar greenhouse dryer using polycarbonate cover: Modeling and testing in a tropical environment of Lao People’s Democratic Republic, Renewable Energy. 2011 Mar; 36(3):1053−62. Crossref.
- Barnwal P, Tiwari GN. Grape drying by using hybrid photovoltaicthermal (PV/T) greenhouse dryer: An experimental study, Solar Energy. 2008 Dec; 82(12):1131−44. Crossref.
- Janjai S, Srisittipokakun N, Bala BK. Experimental and modelling performances of a roof-integrated solar drying system for drying herbs and spices, Energy. 2008 Jan; 33(1):91−103. Crossref.
- Shyam, Al-Helal IM, Singh AK, Tiwari GN. Performance evaluation of photovoltaic thermal greenhouse dryer and development of characteristic curve, Journal of Renewable and Sustainable Energy. 2015 May; 7(3):1−20.
- Janjai S. A greenhouse type solar dryer for small-scale dried food industries: Development and dissemination, International Journal of Energy and Environment. 2012 Jan; 3(3):383−98.
- Kaewkiew J, Nabnean S, Janjai S. Experimental investigation of the performance of a large-scale greenhouse type solar dryer for drying chilli in Thailand, Procedia Engineering.2012 Mar; 32:433−39. Crossref.
- Kumar A, Prakash O, Kaviti A, Tomar A. Experimental analysis of greenhouse dryer in no-load conditions, Journal of Environmental Research and Development. 2013 Apr; 7(4):1399−406.
- Kumar M. Forced convection greenhouse papad drying: An experimental study, Journal of Engineering Science and Technology. 2013 Apr; 8(2):177−89.
- Prakash O, Anil K. Thermal performance evaluation of modified active greenhouse dryer, Journal of Building Physics. 2014 Mar; 37(4):395−402. Crossref.
- Prakash O, Anil K. Performance evaluation of greenhouse dryer with opaque north wall, Heat Mass Transfer. 2014 Apr; 50(4):493−500. Crossref.
- Prakash O, Kumar A, Laguri V. Performance of modified greenhouse dryer with thermal energy storage, Energy Reports. 2016 Nov; 2:155−62. Crossref.
- Aritesty E, Dyah W. Performance of the rack typegreenhouse effect solar dryer for wild ginger (curcuma
- xanthorizzaroxb.) drying, Energy Procedia. 2014 Feb; 47:94−100. Crossref.
- Mastekbayeva GA, Chandika PB, Leon MA, Kumar S.Experimental studies on a hybrid dryer, ISES 99 Solar World Congress, Israel. 1999, p. 1−7.
- ELkhadraoui A, Sami K, IIhem H, Abdelhamid F.Experimental investigation and economic evaluation of a new mixed-mode solar greenhouse dryer for drying of red pepper and grape, Renewable Energy. 2015 May; 77:1−8.Crossref.
- Chan Y, Nining D, Kamaruddin A. Performance of a recirculation type integrated collector drying chamber (ICDC) solar dryer, Energy Procedia. 2015 Apr; 68:53−59. Crossref.
- Jitjack K, Thepa S, Sudaprasert K, Namprakai P.Improvement of a rubber drying greenhouse with a parabolic cover and enhanced panels, Energy and Buildings.2016 Jul; 124(15):178−93. Crossref.
- Tiwari S, Tiwari GN, Al-Helal IM. Performance analysis of photovoltaic-thermal (PVT) mixed mode greenhouse solar dryer, Solar Energy. 2016 Aug; 133:421−28. Crossref.
- Fudholi A, Sohif M, Dayang FB, Mohd HR, Kamaruzzaman S. Performances analysis of greenhouse solar dryer with heat exchanger, Contemporary Engineering Sciences. 2016 Jan; 9(3):135−44. Crossref.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.