Total views : 412
Radiation Induced SET Impact on DG-FINFET based LC-VCO Design
In wireless communication system, the supply voltage should be as low as possible to increase operation time of the system. This shows how importance the low-power circuits are in this field. Recently, there has been considerable interest in the use of Fin type Field Effect Transistor (FinFET) technology to implement RF components such as low-noise amplifiers (LNAs), mixers, and voltage-controlled oscillators (VCOs). VCOs are critical building blocks in modern wireless communication system which is mainly used in Phase Locked Loop. This work describes designing and simulation of Double Gate (DG) FinFET based Inductor (L) and Capacitor (C) tank VCO and the radiation effect of single event transient (SET) on the topology. The LC VCO topology is implemented with 30 nm DG-FinFET technology with 1V as DC power supply voltage which oscillates at 32.61 GHz frequency, results the VCO draws 64.97 μA current and an average power consumption of 64.97 μW. The measured phase noise of the topology is -120.54dBc/Hz at 1 GHz offset frequency and Figure of Merit (FOM) is - 162.68 dBc/Hz at 1 GHz offset frequency.
DG-FinFET, Figure of Merit, Low Power, Phase noise, Single Event Transient (SET), Voltage Control Oscillator.
- Bunch Ryan Lee and Raman Sanjay. Large-Signal Analysis of MOS Varactors in CMOS-Gm LC VCOs. IEEE Journal of Solid State Circuits. 2003; 38(8):1325-32.
- Thabet Hanen, Meillere Stephane, Masmoudi Mohamed, Seguin Jean-Luc, Barthelemy Herve and Aguir Khalifa. Design of CMOS VCO and Combiner used in RF Transmitter for Wireless sensors. Aachen, Germany: PRIME: 2012; p. 289-92.
- Ruey-Lue Wang, Hsuan-Der YenI, Wen-Kuan Yehl, and Yi-Jiue Shie. A 1.2V Low-Power CMOS Voltage Controlled Oscillator (VCO) Using Current Reused Configuration with Balanced Resistors for IEEE802.16e. ICSICT. 2008; p. 1633-36.
- Ulansky V. V. and Ben Suleiman S. F. Kiev: Negative Differential Resistance Based Voltage-Controlled Oscillator for VHF Band, in ELNANO. 2013; p. 80-84.
- Ding Yan. Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada: University of Saskatchewan: Study of Radiation-Tolerant Integrated Circuits for Space Applications, M.S. thesis. 2010; p. 1-82.
- Burlington, USA, Elsevier Inc.: Handbook of RF and Wireless Technologies, 1st ed. 2004; p. 262-81.
- Kaya Savas and Kulkarni Anish. Sharjah, ICM: A Novel Voltage-Controlled Ring Oscillator Based on Nanoscale DG-MOSFETs. 2008; p. 417-20.
- D’Agostino F. and Quercia D. Short-Channel Effects in MOSFETs. Introduction to VLSI design. 2000 Dec; Available from: http://www0.cs.ucl.ac.uk/staff/ucacdxq/projects/vlsi/report.pdf.
- Wang Jianning. USA, Oklahoma State University: An Ultra-Low Power RF Receiver based on Double Gate CMOS (FinFET) technology, Ph.D. dissertation. 2006; p. 1-159.
- Fiorelli Rafaella. Montevideo, Uruguay, University of the Republic: Low Power Integrated LC Voltage Controlled Oscillator in CMOS Technology at 900MHz, M.E. thesis. 2005; p. 1-123.
- Basar MR, Malek F, Khairudi M Juni, Saleh MIM and ShaharomIdris M. Kuala Lumpur: ICEDSA: A Low Power 2.4-GHz Current Reuse VCO for Low Power Miniaturized Transceiver System. 2012; p. 230-33.
- Tommy KK Tsang and Mourad N El-Gamal. A High Figure of Merit and Area-Efficient Low-Voltage (0.7-1 V) 12 GHz CMOS VCO, RFIC Symposium. 2003; p. 88-92.
- Koga R, Pinkerton SD, Moss SC, Meyer DC, LaLumondiere S, Hansel SJ, Crawford KB and Crain WR. Observation of single event upsets in analog microcircuits. IEEE Trans. Nuclear Science. 1993 Dec; 40:1838–44.
- Wang Fan and Vishwani D Agrawal. Single Event Upset: An Embedded Tutorial. 21st International Conference on VLSI Design. 2008; p. 429-34.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.