Total views : 358
Static Voltage and Frequency Regulation of Standalone Wind Energy Conversion System
Background/Objective: This paper presents regulation of Self Excited Induction Generator (SEIG) as asynchronous generator in standalone mode for wind energy conversion system (WECS). Methods/Statistical Analysis: The proposed controller consists of Voltage Source Converter (VSC) having bidirectional active & reactive power flow control, integrated with Battery Storage Unit (BSU), connected in shunt. It compensates for variable reactive power with variable active power. Rating of induction machine has been obtained by short circuit test, open circuit test and synchronous speed test. Findings: SEIG have relative advantage over conventional synchronous generator. However, vo1ltage and frequency regulation are among prime challenges in its practical application as standalone generator. Voltage and frequency of SEIG depends upon speed of rotor, shunt capacitor and load. A suitable control scheme needs to be developed to ensure minimum variation in voltage and frequency for variable input and electrical load. Voltage regulation has been achieved by adjusting reactive power provided by static compensator consisting of inductor a VSC and dc bus capacitor. Conclusion/Improvement: The simulation results show that voltage and frequency of SEIG-WECS have negligible variation for resistive, reactive, balanced, unbalanced and nonlinear load under varying wind speed and consumer load. It eliminates harmonic contents and balances the connected electrical load.
Battery Storage Unit, Standalone Generator, Self Excited Asynchronous Generator, Voltage Source Converter, Voltage and Frequency Regulation.
- Chan TF. Capacitance requirements of self-excited induction generators. IEEE Transaction on Energy Conversion. 1993; 8(2):304–11.
- Manjula HS, Sasikumar M. Current harmonics reduction using hysteresis current controller (HCC) for a wind driven self-excited induction generator drives. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015; 8(13):1–6.
- Izadbakhsh M, Rezvani A, Gandomkar M, Mirsaeidi S. Dynamic analysis of PMSG wind turbine under variable wind speeds and load conditions in the grid connected mode. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015; 8(14):1–7.
- Datta S, Mishra JP, Roy AK. Modified speed sensor-less grid connected DFIG based WECS. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015; 8(16):1–12.
- Maaref M, Monsef H, Karimi M. A reliability model for a doubly fed induction generator based wind turbine unit considering auxiliary components. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2013; 6(9):5281–8.
- Goyal SK, Palwalia DK. Analysis of performance parameters and estimation of optimum capacitance for asynchronous generator. Engineering Science and Technology, an International Journal. 2016. Doi: 10.1016/j.jestch.2016.05.015.
- Shirvan MG, Ghadimi AA. Determining the capacity of combined distribution deneration resources in an independent distributed network considering the uncertainty behavior of load and energy resource. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2013; 6(12):5533–41.
- Kumar P, Palwalia DK. Decentralized autonomous hybrid renewable power generation. Journal of Renewable Energy. 2015; 1–18.
- Reddy KP, Rao MV. Modelling and simulation of hybrid wind solar energy system using MPPT. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015; 8(23):1–5.
- Kumar BN, Reddy DS. Power quality enhancement of integrated grid connected off-shore wind farm and marine current farm using statcom. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015; 8(29):1–9.
- Singh B, Murthy SS, Gupta S. Transient analysis of self excited induction generator with electronic load controller supplying static and dynamic loads. IEEE Transaction on Industry Applications. 2005; 41(5):1194–204.
- Kumar P, Jain G, Palwalia DK. Genetic algorithm based maximum power tracking in solar power generation. Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Power and Advanced Control Engineering. 2015. p. 1–6.
- Palwalia DK, Singh SP. Digital signal processor-based controller design and implementation for self excited induction generator. Electric Power Components and Systems. 2008; 36(10):1130–40.
- Palwalia DK, Singh SP. Digital signal processor based fuzzy voltage and frequency regulator for self excited induction generator. Electric Power Components and Systems. 2010; 38(3):309–24.
- Gupta N, Singh SP, Dubey SP, Palwalia DK. Fuzzy logic controlled three-phase three-wired shunt active power filter for power quality improvement. International Review of Electrical Engineering. 2011; 6(3):453–68.
- Palwalia DK, Singh SP. DSP based induction generator controller for single phase self excited induction generator. International Journal of Emerging Electric Power Systems. 2008; 9(1): Article 2.
- Wang L, Lee CH. Dynamic analysis of parallel operated self excited induction generators feeding an induction motor load. IEEE Transaction on Energy Conversion. 1999; 14(3):479–85.
- Chan TF, Nigim KA, Lai LL. voltage and frequency control of self-excited slip-ring induction generators. IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion. 2004; 19(1):81–7.
- Palwalia DK, Singh SP. New load controller for single phase self excited induction generator. Electric Power Components and Systems. 2009; 37(6):658–71.
- Palwalia DK. STATCOM-based voltage and frequency regulator for standalone asynchronous generator. International Journal power Electronics. 2014; 6(2):131–46.
- Bongiorno M, Svensson J, Angquist L. On control of static synchronous series compensator for SSR mitigation. IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics. 2008; 23(2):735–43.
- El-Moursi MS, Bak-Jensen B, Abdel-Rahman MH. Novel STATCOM controller for mitigating SSR and damping power system oscillations in a series compensated wind park. IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics. 2010; 25(2):429–41.
- Palwalia DK. DSP based fuzzy load controller for single phase self excited induction generator. International Journal of Power Electronics. 2011; 3(5):453–68.
- Marra EG, Pomilio JA. Self-excited induction generator controlled by a VS-PWM bi-directional converter for rural application. IEEE Transaction on Industry Applications. 1999; 35(4):877–83.
- Suarez E, Bortolotto G. Voltage-frequency control of a self excited induction generator. IEEE Transaction on Energy Conversion. 1999; 14(3):394–401.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.