Total views : 727
Active and Reactive Power Management in Microgrid: Analysis in Grid Connected and Islanded Mode of Operation
Load shared by Distributed Generators (DGs) depends upon the mode of operation; therefore power management in Microgrid (MG) is an important area which needs investigation. This paper investigates the impact of DG on the distribution system, where the study of load sharing among various DGs and utility grid has been performed for two cases: 1. When equivalent source based DG is connected and 2. When Photovoltaic (PV) and fuel cell based DG is integrated to the distribution network. PV and fuel cell based DG doesn't behave as stiff current/voltage source either due to parametric uncertainties or due to external disturbances like weather conditions and load changes. From simulation results it has been observed that even though the capacity of all DGs are equal but when change in load occurs, it doesn't ensure that the DGs will equally share the active and reactive power. All the simulation studies have been performed in MATLAB/SIMULINK.
Active Power, Grid Connected Mode, Islanded Mode, Microgrid, Reactive Power.
- Lasseter R, Akhil A, Marnay C, Stephens FJ, Dagle J, Guttromson R, Meliopoilois AS, Yionger R, Eto J. Integeration of distributed energy resources.CERTS microGrid concept. CERTS; 2002 Apr.
- Belmans R, Driesen J. Distributed generation: Challanges and possible solutions. IEEE Power Engineering Society General Meeting; 2006.
- Li YW, Vilathgamuwa DM, Loh PC. A grid-interfacing power quality compensator for three-phase three-wire microgrid applications. IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics. 2006 Jul; 21(4):1021–31.
- Majumder R, Ghosh A, Ledwich G, Zare F. Load sharing and power quality enhanced operation of a distributed microgrid. IET Renewable Power Generation. 2009 Jun; 3(2):109–19.
- Rad RN, Tavakoli R, Hassani R. Load sharing by decentralized control in an islanded voltage source converter-based microgrid considering fixed frequency. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Feb; 9(6).
- Reza M, Sudarmadi D, Viawan FA, Kling WL, Sluis LVD. Dynamic stability of power systems with power electronic interfaced DG. Power Systems Conference and Exposition PSCE’06, IEEE PES; 2006 Oct-Nov 29-1. p. 1423–8.
- Katiraei F, Iravani MR. Power management strategies for a microgrid with multiple distributed generation units. IEEE Transactions on Power Systems. 2006 Nov; 21(4):1821–31.
- Ganesh C, Lenin Babu CH, Pavan Kumar K. Adaptive control and power management in a microgrid by using distribution grids. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Nov; 8(30).
- Ovalle A, Ramos G, Bacha S, Hably A, Rumeau A. Decentralized control of voltage source converters in microgrids based on the application of instantaneous power theory. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics. 2015 Feb; 62(2):1152–62.
- Hossain MJ, Pota HR, Mahmud MA, Aldeen M. Robust control for power sharing in microgrids with low-inertia wind and PV generators. IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy. 2015 Jul; 6(3):1067–77.
- Eghtedarpour N, Farjah E. Power control and management in a hybrid AC/DC Microgrid. IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid. 2014 May; 5(3):1494–505.
- Effatnejad R, Afshari H, Savaghebi M. Modeling and simulation of hybrid System in DC micro-grid based on photovoltaic and energy storage. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Jul; 8(16).
- Guzman C, Cardenas A, Agbossou K. Load sharing strategy for autonomous AC microgrids based on FPGA implementation of ADALINE&FLL;. IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion. 2014 Sep; 29(3):663–72.
- Tenti P, Costabeber A, Caldognetto T, Mattavelli P. Improving microgrid performance by cooperative control of distributed energy sources. IEEE Energy Conversion Congress and Exposition (ECCE); 2013 Sep 15-19. p. 1647–54.
- Augustine S, Mishra MK, Lakshminarasamma N. Adaptive droop control strategy for load sharing and circulating current minimization in low-voltage standalone dc microgrid. IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy. 2015 Jan; 6(1):132–41.
- Iyer SV, Belur MN, Chandorkar MC. Analysis and mitigation of voltage offsets in multi-inverter microgrids. IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion. 2011 Mar; 26(1):354– 63.
- Geetha R, Jayachitra V. Simplified reactive power control for grid-connected photovoltaic inverters. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Jul; 8(13).
- Xu Y, Zhang W, Liu W, Wang X, Ferrese F, Zang C, Yu H. Distributed subgradient-based coordination of multiple renewable generators in a microgrid. IEEE Transactions on Power Systems. 2014 Jan; 29(1):23–33.
- Zhang W, Xu Y, Liu W, Ferrese F, Liu L. Fully distributed coordination of multiple dfigs in a microgrid for load sharing. IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid. 2013 Jun; 4(2):806– 15.
- Shahnia F, Majumder R, Ghosh A, Ledwich G, Zare F. Operation and control of a hybrid microgrid containing unbalanced and nonlinear loads. Electric Power Systems Research. 2010 Aug; 80(8):954–65.
- Sethakul P, Rael S, Davat B, Thounthong P. Fuel cell high-power applications. IEEE Industrial Electronics Magazine. 2009 Mar; 3(1):32–46.
- Viswanatha B, Scibioh MA. Fuel cells principles and applications. CRC Press LLC; 2007. ISBN: 1420060287.
- Yu D, Yuvarajan S. Electronic circuit model for proton exchange membrane fuel cells. Journal of Power Sources. 2005 Mar 24; 142(1-2):238–42.
- Chatterjee A, Keyhani CA, Kapoor D. Identification of photovoltaic source models. IEEE Trans on Energy Convers. 2011 Sep; 26(3):883–9.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.