Total views : 424
A Study on Impulse Buying Behaviour in the Backdrop of Customer Perception towards Visual Merchandising and Other Service Attributes at Organized Retail Outlets in Hyderabad
Organized Retail Sector is expanding at a rapid pace in India and it is leading to the phenomenon of Impulse buying by the customers at these stores which is not seen in the previous decade. The purpose of conducting the research is to find the Impact of Effective Visual Merchandising (VM) on the impulse buying behavior of customers at various retail stores in Andhra Pradesh. Objectives: To find the satisfaction attributes of Customers at Organized retail Outlets and how VISUAL MERCHANDIZING is affecting impulse decisions of the customer. Methods/Analysis: In this study we used various questions on life-style attributes and satisfaction with life scale variables for collecting information and tried to study their effect on customer impulse behavior. A survey of 488 retail customers was done and results interpreted in this paper. SPSS 16 was used to implement methods like CHI-SQUARE on the data and correlate the various factors needed. Findings: We provide a comprehensive insight into the various factors that are affecting the impulsiveness of the customer. As the previous research data was not focusing on the phenomenon of Impulse behavior and Visual merchandising, we tried to do depth analysis of the same which will be useful for future researchers.
Display, FDI, Impulse, Layout, Organized, Visual Merchandise.
- Currie H. The Simplicity of Visual Merchandizing. 2012; 2–12.
- Rook DW. The Buying Impulse. Journal of Consumer Research. 1987; 14(2):189–99.
- Verplanken B, Herabadi AG, Perry JA, Silvera DH. Consumer style and health: The role of impulsive buying in unhealthy eating. Psychology and Health. 2005; 20(4):429–41.
- Mick DG, DeMoss M. Further Findings on Self-Gifts: Products, Qualities, and Socioeconomic Correlates. Advances in Consumer Research. 1992; 19:140–6.
- Baumeister RF. Yielding to Temptation: Self-control failure, impulsive purchasing, and consumer behaviour. Journal of Consumer Research. 2002; 28(4):670–6.
- Gardner MP, Rook DW. Effects of impulse purchases on consumer’s affective states. Advances in Consumer Research. 1988; 15(1):127–30.
- Diener E, Suh EM, Lucas RE, Smith HL. Subjective Well-Being: Three Decades of Progress. Psychological Bulletin. 1999; 125(2):276–302.
- DeNeve KM, Cooper H. The happy personality: A meta analysis of 137 personality traits and subjective well-being. Psychological Bulletin. 1998; 124:197–229.
- Lucas RE, Diener E, Suh E. Discriminant validity of well-being measures. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology. 1996; 71:616–28.
- Diener E, Emmons RA, Larsen RJ, Griffin S. The Satisfaction With Life Scale. Journal of Personality Assessment. 1985; 49(1):71–5.
- Pavot W, Diener E, Randall Colvin C, Sandvik E. Further Validation of the Safisfaction with Life Scale: Evidence for the Cross-Method Convergence of Well-Being Measures. Journal of Personality Assessment. 1991; 57(1):149–61.
- Dunne PM, Lusch RF. Retailing. 6th ed. Mason: Thomson Higher Education, 2008.
- Pavot W, Diener E. Review of the Satisfaction with Life Scale. Psychological Assessment. 1993; 5:164–72.
- Zentes J, Morschett D, Schramm-Klein H. Strategic Retail Management, 2007.
- Agee T, Brett ASM. Planned or Impulse Purchases? How to Create Effective Infomercials. Journal of Advertising Research. 2001; 4(6):35–42.
- Baker J, Grewal D. An experimental approach to making retail store environmental decisions. Journal of Retailing. 1992; 68(4):445–60.
- Beatty SE, Elizabeth Ferrell M. Impulse buying: Modeling its precursors. Journal of Retailing. 1998; 74(2):169–91.
- Chen MH. The determinants and traits of Impulsive buying behavior. Journal of Takming University. 2001; 17:59–74.
- Dickens WT. Crime and Punishment Again: The Economic Approach with a Psychological Twist. Journal of Public Economics. 1986; 30(1):97–107.
- George A, Nick H. Self-Control in Loewenstein, George & Elster, Jon eds, Choice over Time, Russell Sage Foundation. 1992; 177–209.
- Graves P. Consumerology: The Market Research Myth, The Truth about Consumers and The Psychology of Shopping, Nicholas Brealey Publishing, 2010.
- Hair JF, Bush RP, Ortinau DJ. Marketing research: Within a changing information environment, McGraw-Hill. 2003; 22.
- Hayes N, Joseph S. Big 5 correlates of three measures of subjective wellbeing. Personality and Individual Differences. 2003; 34(4):723–7.
- Hoch, Loewenstein. Time-inconsistent Preferences and Consumer Self-Control. Journal of Consumer Research. 1991; 17(4):492–507.
- Jon E. Ulysses and the Sirens, Cambridge University Press, 1984.
- Kerfoot S, Davies B, Ward P. Visual Merchandising and the Creation of Discernible Retail Brands. International Journal of Retail and Distribution Management. 2003; 31(3):143–52.
- Kollat DT, Willett RP. Consumer impulse purchasing behaviour. Journal of Marketing Research. 1967; 4(1):21–31.
- O’Guinn TC, Faber RJ. Compulsive buying: a phenomenological exploration. Journal of Consumer Research. 1989; 16(2):147–57.
- Shepard. Personal Failures and the Bankruptcy Reform Act of 1978. Journal of Law and Economics. 1984; 27(2):419–37.
- Silvera DH, Lavack AM, Kropp F. Impulse Buying: The Role of Affect, Social Influence, and Subjective Well-being. Journal of Consumer Marketing. 2015; 25(1):23–33.
- Silvera DH, Neilands TB, Perry JA. A Norwegian translation of the selfliking and competence scale. Scandinavian Journal of Psychology. 2001; 42(5):417–27.
- Tafarodi RW, Swann WB. Self-liking and self-competence as dimensions of global self-esteem: initial validation of a measure. Journal of Personality Assessment. 1995; 65(2):322–42.
- Weun S, Jones MA, Beatty SE. The Development and Validation of the Impulse Buying Tendency Scale. Psychological Reports. 1998; 82(3):1123–33.
- Kim Y-B. A Tradeoff between National Income and Regional Growth: Evidence from the EU. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Jan; 8(1).
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.