Total views : 292
Implementation of Plateau Histogram Equalization Technique on Thermal Images
Background/Objectives: Contrast enhancement is an important stage in uncooled thermal images as uncooled thermal images are low-contrast images. Histogram equalization is the widely used technique for contrast enhancement of images. Methods/Statistical Analysis: The proposed method for contrast enhancement is based on plateau histogram equalisation. It preserves all the benefits of classical histogram equalisation but does not extend the contrast of background enormously24. Plateau histogram equalization technique is one of the contrast enhancement techniques where the pels count is limited to an inception value defined based on histogram properties. Findings: In comparing the results of proposed contrast enhancement system, the image has been significantly enhanced without enhancing the background gray levels and the noise and thereby increasing the brightness preservation and harvested a more natural enhancement. Applications/Improvements: The proposed technique on thermal images provides a good enhancement, which is difficult to achieve with traditional Histogram equalization technique on thermal images. The proposed algorithm is tested on raw images, gain corrected images, and Gain and Offset corrected images and achieved satisfactory results.
Contrast Enhancement, Histogram Equalization, Low-contrast images, Plateau Histogram Equalization, Thermal Images.
- SairaBanu J, Babu R, Pandey R. Parallel Implementation of Singular Value Decomposition (SVD) in Image Compression using Open Mp and Sparse Matrix Representation. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 8(13):1–10.
- Tan J-H, Ng EYK, Rajendra Acharya U. Chee C. Infrared thermography on ocular surface temperature. Infrared Physics and Technology Articles. 2009; 52(4):97–108.
- Weili Z, Danyu C. Research and applications of infrared thermal imaging systems suitable for developing countries. International Journal of Infrared and Millimeter Waves. 1986; 7(1):65–70.
- Bhavana D, Rajesh V, Ravi Tej D, Sankara sarma CV, Swaroopa RVSJ. Scene based two-point non-uniformity correction of thermal images. International Journal Engineering and technology. 2013; 5(2):1748–54.
- Pizer SM. The medical image display and analysis group at the University of North Carolina: Reminiscences and philosophy. IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging. 2003; 22(1):2–10.
- Pei SC, Zeng YC, Chang CH. Virtual restoration of ancient Chinese paintings using color contrast enhancement and lacuna texture synthesis. IEEE Transactions on Image Processing. 2004; 13(3):416–29.
- Raju A, Dwarakish GS, Venkat Reddy D. Comparative Analysis of Histogram Equalization based Techniques for Contrast Enhancement and Brightness Preserving. International Journal of Signal Processing, Image Processing and Pattern Recognition. 2013; 6(2):353–66.
- Torre A, Peinado AM, Segura JC, Perez-Cordoba JL, Benitez MC, Rubio AJ. Histogram equalization of speech representation for robust speech recognition. IEEE Transactions on Speech Audio Processing. 2005; 13(3):355–66.
- Wang Q, Ward RK. Fast Image/Video Contrast Enhancement Based on Weighted Threshold Histogram Equalization. IEEE Transactions on consumer Electronics. 2007; 53(2):757–64.
- Chen SD, Ramli AR. Contrast Enhancement using Recursive Mean-Separate Histogram Equalization for Scalable Brightness Preservation. IEEE Transactions on consumer Electronics. 2003; 49(4):1301–309.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.