Total views : 287
Mathematical Modelling of Migration Process to Measure Population Diversity of Distributed Evolutionary Algorithms
Background/Objectives: Evolutionary Algorithms (EAs) have a major role in solving optimization problems. Distributed Evolutionary Algorithms (dEAs) improve the performance of classical EAs. In dEAs, the initial population is divided into a number of subpopulations and an independent as well as cooperative coevolution happens among the subpopulations. Methods/Statistical Analysis: The success of dEAs is mainly attributed to the migration process they follow, during the evolution. The migration process alters the diversity of the subpopulations. The contribution of the migration process over the success of dEAs can be better understood and/or improved in the light of changes it brings in the diversity of subpopulations. Three methodologies used in the modelling process are the theoretical approach, statistical approach and the empirical approach. Findings: This paper is to analyze and design a mathematical model of the migration process, for its better understanding. A statistical equation to measure the diversity changes in the subpopulation during the migration process is also derived. The derived equation is validated on different types of populations. Application/Improvement: The derived equation can be applied to study and improve the performance of distributed evolutionary algorithms.
Distributed Evolutionary Algorithms, Migration, Modelling Migration, Population Diversity, Population Variance.
- Beyer HG. On the Explorative Power of ES/EP like algorithms, In: Porto VW, Saravanan N, Waagen DE, Eiben AE editors. Proceedings of the 7th Annual Conference on Evolutionary Programming, Springer. 1998. p. 323–34.
- Feoktistov V. Differential Evolution In Search of Solutions, Springer-Optimization and its applications, Springer. 2006; 1–24.
- Zaharie D. On the explorative power of differential evolution algorithms. Proceeding of the 3rd International Workshop on Symbolic and Numeric Algorithms on Scientific Computing, SYNASC-2001, 2001.
- Zaharie D, Zamfirache F. Diversity enhancing mechanism for evolutionary optimization in static and dynamic environments. Proceedings of the 3rd Romanian-Hungarian Joint Symposium on Applied Computational Intelligence. 2006; 460–71.
- Angela, AR, Adriano S, Andrade O, Soares AB. Exploration vs exploitation in differential evolution. Proceedings of the AISB 2008 Symposium on Swarm Intelligence Algorithms and Applications, Aberdeen, Scotland. 2008; 57–63.
- Zaharie D. Recombination operators for evolutionary algorithms. In: Ivanchev D, Todorov MD editors. Proceedings of the 27th Summer School of Applications of Mathematics in Engineering and Economics. 2001; 625–27.
- Alba E, Tomassini M. Parallelism and evolutionary algorithms. IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation. 2002; 6(5):443–62.
- Potter MA, DeJong KA. A cooperative co-evolutionary approach to function optimization. Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Parallel Problem Solving from Nature, Springer-Verlag. 1994. p. 249–57.
- Liu Y, Yao D, Zhao Q, Higuchi T. Scaling up fast evolutionary programming with cooperative coevolution. Proceedings of the IEEE Congress on Evolutionary Computation. 2001; 2. p. 1101–108.
- Sofge D, DeJong KA, Schultz A. A blended population approach to cooperative coevolution for decomposition of complex problems. Proceedings of the IEEE Congress on Evolutionary Computation. 2002; 413–18.
- Van den Bergh F, Engelbrecht AP. A cooperative approach to particle swarm optimization. IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation. 2004; 8(3):225–39.
- Bouyer A, Ghafarzadeh H, Tarkhaneh O. An efficient hybrid algorithm using cuckoo search and differential evolution for data clustering. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Sep; 8(24).
- Suganthi ST, Devaraj D, Hosmin Thilagar S. An improved differential evolution algorithm for congestion management considering voltage stability. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Sep; 8(24).
- Balamurugan V, Marimuthu T. Mining the amino acid dominance in gene sequences. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Jul; 8(14).
- Skolicki Z, Jong KD. Improving evolutionary algorithms with multi-representation island models. Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Parallel Problem Solving from Nature – PPSN VIII, Springer- Verlag: Berlin Heidelbeg. 2004; 3242. p. 420–29.
- Skolicki Z, Jong KD. The influence of migration sizes and intervals on island models. Proceedings of the 7th Annual Conference on Genetic and Evolutionary Computation. 2005. p. 1295–302.
- Cantu-Paz E. Migration policies, selection Pressure and parallel evolutionary algorithms. Journal of Heuristics. 2001; 7(4):311–34.
- Jeyakumar G, Shunmuga Velayutham C. Distributed Mixed Variant Differential Evolution Algorithms for Unconstrained Global Optimization. Memetic Computing. 2013; 5(4):275–93.
- Jeyakumar G, Shunmuga Velayutham C. Distributed Heterogeneous Mixing of Differential and Dynamic Differential Evolution Variants for Unconstrained Global Optimization. Soft Computing – Springer. 2014; 18(10):1949–65.
- Jeyakumar G, Shunmuga Velayutham C. Hybridizing Differential Evolution Variants Through Heterogeneous Mixing in a Distributed Framework. Hybrid Soft Computing Approaches, Springer, India. 2015; 107–51.
- Zaharie D. Parameter adaptation in differential evolution by controlling the population diversity. In: Petcu D et al editors. Proceedings of the 4th International Workshop on Symbolic and Numeric Algorithms for Scientific Computing. 2002; 385–97.
- Zaharie D. Control of population diversity and adaptation in differential evolution algorithms. In: Matousek R, Osmera P editors. Proceedings of the Mendel’s 9th International Conference on Soft Computing. 2003. p. 41–6.
- Zaharie D. Critical values for the control parameters of differential evolution algorithms. Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Soft Computing. 2002. p. 62–7.
- Zaharie D. Statistical properties of differential evolution and related random search algorithms, In: Brito P editors. Proceedings of the International Conference on Computational Statistics Porto. 2008. p. 473–85.
- Jeyakumar G, Shunmuga Velayutham C. A Comparative Study on Theoretical and Empirical Evolution of the Population Variance of the Differential Evolution Variants. In Proceeding of Simulated Evolution and Learning, Springer-Verlag, Berlin Heidelberg. 2001; 75–9.
- Thangavelu S, Jeyakumar G, Balakrishnan RM, Shunmuga Velayutham C. Theoretical analysis of expected population variance evolution for a differential evolution variant. Computational Intelligence in Data Mining, Springer. 2005; 2:403–16.
- Jeyakumar G, Shunmuga Velayutham C. Empirical Study on Migration Topologies and Migration Policies for Island Based Distributed Differential Evolution Variants. In proceedings of Swarm, Evolutionary and Memetic Computing, Springer-Verglet, Berlin Heidelberg. 2010; 29–37.
- Storn R, Price K. Differential Evolution – A simple and efficient adaptive scheme for global optimization over continuous spaces. 1995; 1–12.
- Aswani, Praveen VV, Thangavelu S. Performance Analysis of Variants of Differential Evolution on Multi-Objective Optimization Problems. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Aug; 8(17).
- Mezura-Montes E, Velazquez-Reyes J, Coello Coello CA. A comparative study of differential evolution variants for global optimization, GECCO '06. Proceedings of the 8th Annual Conference on Genetic and Evolutionary Computation. 2006. p. 485–92.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.