Total views : 208
Effects of Nutrition Education on Nutrition Knowledge of Stone Cutters: A Study in Davanagere District of Karnataka State
Objective: The present study aimed at assessing the nutrition knowledge of the stone cutters at Davanagere district of Karnataka state. Methodology and Statistical Analysis: The questionnaire inclusive of 30 statements related to basic health and nutrition concepts was developed and pre-tested to assess the knowledge of stone workers (Male: 60, Female: 60) at Davanagere district of Karnataka in India.After the nutrition education programme for a month, the post test was conducted by using the same questionnaire. The nutrition knowledge was classified as low, medium and high level based on mean and standard deviation. Findings: The findings revealed that the higher per cent of stone cutter (45.83 %) had low knowledge, followed by 32.50 per cent stone cutter in the medium level and only 21.67 per cent had high knowledge before the intervention. There was a drastic change observed after the intervention. The stone cutters in the low level group were reduced to 25.83 per cent whereas increase in the knowledge level was observed in the medium and high level groups after the intervention (46.67 % vs. 32.50 % and 27.50 % vs. 21.67 % respectively). The chi-square test showed significant difference at one per cent level. Majority of the respondents (56%) had medium level of knowledge in respect to nutrition practices. Conclusion: There was improvement in the nutrition and health practices were observed among male and female respondents after the education provided.
Effect, Nutrition Education, Nutrition Knowledge, Stone Cutter.
- Bhagat SS. A case study of Wagholi workers in Wagholi stone quarry area Internet]. [cited 2009 Sep 21]. Available from: Pune https://dalitandtribe.wordpress.com/2011/03/03/a-case-study-of-wagholi-stone-workers-in-wagholi-stone-quarry-area-pune-maharashtra/.
- Ghotkar VB, Maldhure BR, Zodpey SP. Involvement of lung and lung function tests in stone quarry workers. Indian Journal of Tuberculosis. 1995; 42:155–60.
- International Labor Organization Report. International Standard classification of occupations. (ISO-08), International Labor office Geneva; 2008.
- Kwon MH, Choi HS. Impacting factors on oral health status of the community among the elderly the 6th Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 May; 9(20):1–7.
- Ahn SY, Kwon M. Factors influencing the experience of pain in depressed patients with osteoarthritis- using data from the Korean National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Jul; 9(25):1–5.
- Kay D, Richard AC, John B, Wanda LL. Trends in nutritional risks and effect of nutrition education among low-income elderly in Maine. Journal of Nutrition for the Elderly. 2002; 21:4.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.