Total views : 220
Performance Analysis of Coded OFDM for Optical Wireless Communication System
Background/Objectives: Orthogonal Frequency Division Multiplexing (OFDM) is an efficient multicarrier modulation technique suitable for optical communication due to high data rate, high spectrum efficiency. A serious problem of this system is the large dynamic range of the transmitted signal due to the nonlinear Power Amplifier (PA). To achieve high power efficiency, Peak to Average Power Ratio (PAPR) value has to be reduced. Methods/Statistical Analysis: In OFDM system, error correction code is an essential for transmission of high data rate. Recently, Low-Density Parity-Check (LDPC) is commonly used as error correcting code. Findings: Here, we present LDPC coded OFDM system to analyze the performance metrics such as Complementary Cumulative Distribution Function (CCDF), Bit Error Rate (BER), Error Vector Magnitude (EVM), Modulation Error Rate (MER) on AWGN channel with and without irregular LDPC codes. Simulation results show that the LDPC code on OFDM system to improve CCDF as well as BER performance than that of uncoded OFDM system. Simulation results also show that by modulating a signal at fixed subcarriers, the EVM decreases and MER increases as the function of Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR) increases. Application/Improvements: Hence, the advantage of LDPC, which makes it possible work in application with low BER, such as wire communication, deep space communication and disk storage industry, etc.
CCDF, EVM, LDPC, MER, OFDM.
- Jhingan A, Kansal L. Performance evaluation for wavelet based OFDM system effected by CFO over Rayleigh Channel, Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Feb; 9(5):1–6.
- Nee RV, Prasad R. OFDM wireless multimedia communications. London: Artech House; 2000.
- Peterson WW, Weldon EJ. Error-correcting codes. Cambridge, MA: M.I.T. Press; 1972.
- Costa E, Pupolin S. M-QAM-OFDM system performance in the presence of a nonlinear amplifier and phase noise IEEE Transactions on Communications; 2002 Mar. p. 462–72, March 2002.
- Han SH, Lee JH. An overview of peak to average power ratio reduction techniques for multicarrier transmission. IEEE Transaction on Wireless Communication; 2005 Apr.
- Kansal L. BER performance analysis of FEC incorporated OFDM-MPSK Over Rician channel. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015; 8(33):1–6.
- Wing Y, Chen Z, Gong K. MER performance anlaysis of M-QAM OFDM with Wiener phase noise. IEEE Press; 2007 Apr. p. 18–21. DOI: 10.1109/ICMMT.2007.381517.
- Jhingan A, Kansal L. Performance assessment of OFDM utilizing FFT/DWT over Rician channel effected by CFO. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016; 9(12): 1–7.
- Jhingan A, Kansal L. Performance analysis of FFT-OFDM and DWT-OFD Mover AWGN channel under the effect of CFO. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016; 9(6):1–6.
- Richardson TJ, Shokrollahi MA, Urbanke RL. Design of capacity approaching irregular low density parity check codes. IEEE Transactions on Information Theory. 2001; 47(2):619–37.
- Zheng X, Lau FCM, Tse CK. Performance evaluation of irregular low density parity check codes at high signal-to-noise ratio. IET Communications. 2011 Jul; 5:1587–96.
- Chung S-Y, Forney GD, Richardson TJ, Urbanke R. On the design of low density parity check codes within 0.0045 dB of the Shannon limit. IEEE Communications Letters. 2001 Feb; 5:58–60.
- Cavers JK. The effect of data modulation format on intermodulation power in nonlinear amplifiers. IEEE Transactions on Communications; 1994 Mar. p. 489–93.
- Raju MS, Annavajjala R, Chockalingam A. BER analysis of QAM on fading channels with transmit diversity. IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications. 2004; 5(2):481–6.
- Ping L, Leung WK. Decoding low density parity check codes with finite quantization bits. IEEE Communications Letters. 2000 Feb; 4:62–116.
- Chung S-Y, Richardson TJ, Urbanke RL. Analysis of sum-product decoding of low-density parity-check codes using a gaussian approximation. IEEE Transactions on Information Theory. 2001 Feb; 47:657–70.
- Van Nee R, dewild A. reducing the peak to average power ratio of OFDM. IEEE VTC’98. 1998 May; 3:18–21.
- Eltholth AA, Mekhail AR, Elshirbini A, Dessouki MI, Abdelfattah AI. Low crest factor modulation techniques for Orthogonal Frequency Division Multiplexing (OFDM). Ubiquitous Computing and Communication Journal. 2007; 4.
- McKinley MD, Remley KA, Mylinski M, Kenney JS, Schreurs D, Nauwelaers B. EVM calculation for broadband modulated signals. Technical Report. Work of United States Government; 2005.
- Hassun R, Flaherty M, Matreci R, Taylor M. Effective evaluation of link quality using error vector magnitude techniques. Proceedings of 1997 Wireless Communications Conference, Boulder, CO, USA; 1997 Aug 11–13. p. 89–94.
- Ghairabeh KM, Gard KG, Steer MB. Accurate estimation of digital communication system metrices-SNR, EVM and in a Nonlinear Amplifier Environment. IEEE Transactions on Communications; 2005 Sep. p. 734–9.
- Deepa T, Kumar R. Performance of comparison metrics on M-QAM OFDM systems with high power amplifier. 2012 World Congress on Information and Communication Technologies (WICT); 2013 Jan 11.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.