Total views : 241
Impact Toughness Properties of Polymer Latex Modified Concrete Composites
The paper focuses on the impact strength and toughness behaviour of SBR based polymer concrete reinforced with crimped polypropylene fibres. A total of 48 slab specimens were casted and tested on a manual type fabricated impact testing apparatus. Circular disc specimens of 400 mm diameter concrete slabs were used to test the impact strength. In the polymer modified concrete the dosage of fibre used were 0.1% and 0.3% to the volume fraction of the concrete. Toughness parameters such as first crack, ultimate, fibre concrete and post crack toughness were evolved from the experimental study. It is observed that ultimate toughness of polymer fibre concrete (372.78N-m) is higher compared to plain concrete (139.79Nm) due to absorption of energy by SBR latex polymer and bridging of polypropylene fibres compared to plain concrete. The effect of fibres in absorbing the impact load and cracks was shown in post crack toughness of polymer modified concrete with increase in the dosage of fibres from 0.1% to 0.3%.
Fibres, Impact Test, Polymer Modified Concrete, Post Crack Failure, Toughness.
- Colak A. Properties of plain and latex modified Portland cement pastes and concretes with and without super plasticizer. Cement and Concrete Research. 2005; 35(8):1510–21.
- Fowler DW. Polymers in concrete: A vision for the 21st century. Cement and Concrete Composites. 1999; 21(5-6):449–552.
- Ismailia M, Muhammad B. Behaviour of concrete with polymer additive at fresh and hardened states. Procedia Engineering. 2011; 14:2230–7.
- Galeski A. Strength and toughness of crystalline polymer systems. Progress in Polymer Science. 2003; 28(12):1643–99.
- Fattuhi NI. Toughness of thin slab under flexural or impact loading. The International Journal of Cement Composites and Lightweight Concrete. 1983; 5(2):121–6.
- Gopalaratnam VS, Gettu R. On the characterization of flexural toughness in fibre reinforced concretes. Cement and Concrete Composites.1995; 17(3):239–54.
- Barr BIG, Evans WT, Dowers RC. Fracture toughness of polypropylene fibre concrete. The International Journal of Cement Composites and Lightweight Concrete. 1981; 3(2):115–22.
- Ding Y, Azevedo C, Aguiar JB, Jalali S. Study on residual behaviour and flexural toughness of fibre cocktail reinforced self compacting high performance concrete after exposure to high temperature. Construction and Building Materials. 2012; 26(1):21–31.
- Hsiea M, Tua C, Song PS. Mechanical properties of polypropylene hybrid fibre-reinforced concrete. Materials Science and Engineering. 2008; 494(1-2):153–7.
- Luo J, Li Q, Zhao T, Gao S, Sun S. Bonding and toughness properties of PVA fibre reinforced aqueous epoxy resin cement repair mortar. Construction and Building Materials. 2013; 49:766–71.
- Barr BIG, Liu K, Dowers RC. A toughness index to measure the energy absorption of fibre reinforced concrete. The Intemational Journal of Cement Composites and Lightweight Concrete. 1982; 4(4):221–7.
- Sivakumar A, Sounthararajan VM. Toughness characterization of steel fibre reinforced concrete – A review on various international standards. Journal of Civil Engineering and Construction Technology. 2013; 4(3):65–9.
- Mindess S, Banthla N, Yan C. The fracture toughness of concrete under impact loading. Cement and Concrete Research. 1987; 17(2):231–41.
- Almusallam TH, Siddiqui NA, Iqbal RA, Abbas H. Response of hybrid-fibre reinforced concrete slabs to hard project impact. International Journal of Impact Engineering. 2013; 58:17–30.
- King MW, Miyamoto A. Integrated impact failure analysis of concrete slab structures with consideration of impact load characteristics. Nuclear Engineering and Design. 1994;150(2-3): 295–301.
- Rao HS, Ghorpade VG, Ramana NV, Gnaneswar K. Response of SIFCON two-way slabs under impact loading. International Journal of Impact Engineering. 2010; 37(4):452–58.
- Harish GR, Zai SAK. Behaviour of SBR-latex modified polypropylene fibrere inforced PSC railway sleepers under static loading. 35th Conference on Our World in Concrete and Structures; Singapore. 2010. p. 1–7.
- Kumar CNS, Rao TDG. Punching shear resistance of concrete slabs using mode-II fracture energy. Engineering Fracture Mechanics. 2012; 83:75–85.
- Urban T, Gołdyn M, Krakowski J, Krawczyk I. Experimental investigation on punching behaviour of thick reinforced concrete slabs. Archives of Civil Engineering. 2013; 59(2):157–74.
- Annerel E, Lu L,Taerwe L. Punching shear tests on flat concrete slabs exposed to fire. Fire Safety Journal. 2013; 57:83–95.
- Qiao P, Zhang L,Chen F, Chen Y, Shan L. Fracture characterization of carbon fibre-reinforced polymer-concrete bonded interfaces under four-point bending. Engineering Fracture Mechanics. 2011; 78(6):1247–63.
- Ding Y, Zhang Y, Thomas A. The investigation on strength and flexural toughness of fibre cocktail reinforced self-compacting high performance concrete. Construction and Building Materials. 2009; 23(1):448–52.
- Rahmani T, Kiani B, Shekarchi M, Safari A. Statistical and experimental analysis on the behaviour of fibre reinforced concretes subjected to drop weight test. Construction and Building Materials. 2012; 37:360–9.
- Priyadharshini E, Veerakumar R, Selvamani P, Kaveri S. An experimental study on strengthening of reinforced concrete beam using glass fiber reinforced polymer composites. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016; 9(2):1–4.
- BIS, IS 12269 Indian standard ordinary 53 grade Portland cement. 1st revision. New Delhi: Bureau of Indian Standards; 2013.
- BIS, IS 383 Specification for coarse and fine aggregates from natural sources for concrete. 1970. New Delhi: Bureau of Indian Standards; 1993.
- BIS, IS 516 Indian standard methods of tests for strength of concrete 1959. New Delhi: Bureau of Indian Standards; 2002.
- Selvakumar V, Manoharan N. Thermal properties of polypropylene/montmorillonite nanocomposites. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2014; 7(S7):16–23.
- Mahendran K, Arunachelam N. Performance of Fly Ash and Copper Slag based geopolymer concrete. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016; 9(2):122–9.
- Puggal S, Dhall N, Singh N, Singh M. A review on polymer nanocomposites: Synthesis, characterization and mechanical prop. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016; 9(4):1–6.
- Mirzaie RA, Hamedi F. Investigating a new electrocatalyst for polymer electrolyte membrane fuel cells and the effect of carbon additives in the reaction layer. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015; 8(11).
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.