Total views : 351
Bandwidth Enhanced Antipodal Vivaldi Antenna for Wide Band Communication Applications
Objectives: To design high bandwidth and high gain compact antipodal Vivaldi antenna which can be applied for modern communication systems especially for military communication systems. Methods/Analysis: Antipodal Vivaldi antenna is designed with flared elements on both sides of the substrate. Top side patch element is oriented towards left side and bottom side defected ground structured element is oriented towards right side. Finite element method based HFSS-15 is used in the design and simulation. The simulated EM-Results of the return loss, VSWR, radiation patterns and field distributions are analyzed and optimized antipodal vivaldi antenna is designed with parametric analysis. Fire resistance PCB substrate material with dielectric constant 4.4 is used as substrate to prototype the antenna model and measured results are analyzed for validation on ZNB 20 vector network analyzer. Findings: In this work a novel antipodal Vivaldi antenna is designed to operate between L to KU-band communication and applications. The proposed antenna modal consisting of a special type of tapered slot edge structure in the design which enhanced the bandwidth of the antenna. To convert antenna into a wide band model, some modifications are done by placing slotted sections on the ground and patch elements. Antenna is showing 15 GHz huge bandwidth and impedance bandwidth of more than 65%. The proposed antenna is showing VSWR of 2:1 ratio in the operating band and peak realized gain of 7 dB. Omni directional radiation pattern with peak directivity of 5 dB is attained with the current model. Wideband characteristics with considerable gain grouping this antenna in to several communication applications in S, C, X, Ku-bands. Novelty/Improvement: Novelty with respect to defected ground structured flared element and huge bandwidth are advancements in the current design. Both patch and ground structures are designed in a way to enhance the bandwidth as well as gain which is advantageous in communication applications. Field distributions with excellent radiation characteristics are making this model as suitable candidate for future communication systems.
Antipodal Vivaldi Antenna (AVA), Ansys High Frequency Structure Simulator (HFSS), Bandwidth, Tapered Slot (TS), Vector Network Analyzer.
- Gibson PJ. The Vivaldi aerial. Proceeding 9th Eur Microw Conf; Brighton, U.K. 1979 Jun. p. 101–5.
- Yngvesson KS, Schaubert DH, Korzeniowski TL, Kollberg EL, Thungren T, Johansson JF. Endfire tapered slot antennas on dielectric substrates. IEEE Trans Antennas Propag. 1985 Dec; 33(S12):1392–400.
- Babu MA, Madhav BTP, Vaishnavi DN, Radhakrishna P, Bharath N, Madhuri K, Prasad KB, Harish K. Flared V-shape slotted monopole multiband antenna with metamateril loading. International Journal of Communications Antenna Propogation. 2015 Jul; 5(S2):93–7.
- Greenberg MC, Virga KL, Hammond CL. Performance characteristics of the Dual Exponentially Tapered Slot Antenna (DETSA) for wireless communications applications. IEEE Trans Veh Technol. 2003 Mar; 52(S2):305–12.
- Madhav BTP, Sanikommu M, Pranoop MNVS, Manikanta Chandra Bose KSNMC, Kumar BS. CPW fed antenna for wideband applications based on tapered step ground and EBG structure. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 May; 8(S9). DOI: 10.17485/ijst/2015/v8iS9/53392.
- Nikolaou S, Ponchak GE, Papapolymerou J, Tentzeris MM. Conformal Double Exponentially Tapered Slot Antenna (DETSA) on LCP for UWB applications. IEEE Trans Antennas Propag. 2006 Jun; 54(S6):1663–9.
- Madhav BTP, Kumar KVV, Manjusha AV, Chowdary PRB, Sneha L, Kantham PR. Analysis of CPW fed step serrated ultra wide band antenna on rogers RT/duroid substrates. International Journal of Applied Engineering Research. 2014 Jan; 9(S1):53–8. ISSN: 0973-4562.
- Srikanth S, Jeyalakshmi V. Compact UWB micro strip band pass filter with open circuited stubs. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Jul; 8(13). DOI: 10.17485/ ijst/2015/v8i13/58531.
- Madhav BTP, Prasanth AM, Prasanth S, Krishna BMS, Manikantha D, Sai USN. Analysis of defected ground structure notched monopole antenna. ARPN Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences. 2015 Feb; 10(S2):747–52. ISSN: 1819-6608.
- Schaubert DH, Aas JA, Cooley ME, Buris NE. Moment method analysis of infinite stripline-fed tapered slot antenna arrays with a ground plane. IEEE Trans Antennas Propag. 1994 Aug; 42(S8):1161–6.
- Sundar PS, Kotamraju SK, Ramakrishna TV, Madhav BTP, Sruthi TS, Vivek P, Kumar JJ, Dileep M. Novel miniatured wide band annular slot monopole antenna. Far East Journal of Electronics and Communications. 2015; 14(S2):149–59. ISSN: 0973-7006. Available from: http:// dx.doi.org/10.17654/FJECJun2015_149_159
- Hood AZ, Karacolak T, Topsakal E. A small antipodal Vivaldi antenna for ultrawide-band applications. IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. 2008; 7:656–60.
- Pasricha R, Sharma S. Linearization of volterra series model power amplifier for wideband WCDMA base stations. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2009 Mar; 2(3). DOI: 10.17485/ijst/2009/v2i3/29409.
- Madhav BTP, Kaza H, Vaka JK, Kumar KS, Sriharsha N, Kumar JJ, Siddharth DS, Reddy DST. Design and analysis of compact coplanar wave guide fed asymmetric monopole antennas. Research Journal of Applied Sciences, Engineering and Technology. 2015 Jun; 3(S10):247–52.
- Karunakar G, Kumar KP. Slot coupled H-plane tee junction analysis. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2011 Aug; 4(8). DOI: 10.17485/ijst/2011/v4i8/30903.
- Nayak VN, Madhav BTP, Divya RS, Krishna ANS, Ramana KR, Mounika D. Compact microstrip rectangular edge fed antenna with DGS structure. International Journal of Applied Engineering Research. 2015; 10(S10): 24331–48. ISSN: 0973-4562.
- Choi J-Y. Design and analysis of squared patch antenna with multi squared slots. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Oct; 8(26). DOI: 10.17485/ijst/2015/ v8i26/80432.
- Rajaraman G, Anitha M, Mukerjee A, Sood K, Jyoti R. Dual-band, miniaturized, enhanced-gain patch antennas using differentially-loaded metastructures. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015; 8(1).
- Sarva E, Sridevi PV. A novel triple band planar microstrip patch antenna with defected ground structure. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 9(3); 2016.
- Danideh A, Sadeghzadeh RA. CPW-fed slot antenna for mimo system applications. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2013 Jan; 6(1). DOI: 10.17485/ijst/2013/v6i1/30557.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.