Total views : 320
Corrosion Investigation on Conventional and Nanocomposite (Ni-P-Al2O3-TiO2) coated Mild Steel by In-Plant Test in Digester of a Paper Mill
Objectives: To improve paper quality and production, the digesters are now operated at increasingly high temperature and high sulfidity, which increase different type of corrosion attack on the surface of digester. The present study aims to develop an alternative material that can enhance the service life of the digester and reduces the loss generated by corrosion. Methods/Analysis: The nanocomposite coating of Ni-P-Al2O3-TiO2,(MS(NiPATi)) was carried out on mild steel substrate by electroless technique. To carryout coating nanosized Al2O3 and TiO2 particles were dispersed in 1:1 ratio, in Ni-P electroless bath with constant stirring. The plated (MS(NiPATi)plated) sample was heat treated at 350°C in argon atmosphere (MS(NiPATi)350) for improving its adherence to the substrate. In-plant corrosion test was carried, to determine the corrosion attack to the samples in the actual working conditions. To carryout in-plant test, the samples of MS, SS304L, SS2205, MS(NiPATi)plated and MS(NiPATi)350, were exposed for duration of six month in the 5th batch digester of SPML in the actual working conditions. After removal from the digester the exposed samples were analysed by Scanning Electron Microscopy (SEM) and metallurgical microscope. Findings: An overall corrosion view on all the samples results that MS experiences highest corrosion rate while duplex SS2205 least and samples SS304L, MS(NiPATi)plated, MS(NiPATi)350 is nearly the same. The lower part of digester where test rack was fitted is mainly affected due to erosion assisted corrosion. This test, therefore, suggests that in the applied conditions, it would be better to construct the bottom part of the digester either with duplex steel SS2205 or with alternative materials i.e., MS(NiPATi)350 to minimize the risk of corrosion.
Corrosion, Digester, Electroless Technique, Nanocomposite Coating.
- Wensley A. Corrosion and protection of Kraft batch digesters. Technical Association of Pulp and Paper Industry Journal. 1996; 79(10):153.
- Bennet DC. Cracking of continous digester-review of history. Proc. of 4th International Symposium on Corrosion in Pulp & Paper Industry. 1983; p. 4.
- Pulp & Paper Week. 1994; 16(15):1-5.
- Essen CGV. Corrosion Problems in Sulfate Pulp Mills.Technical Association of Pulp and Paper Industry Journal. 1950; 33(7):14.
- Peoples RS, Cricson GL. Corrosion of Alkaline Pulping Digesters.Technical Association of Pulp and Paper Industry Journal. 1952; 35:403-11.
- Clarke SJ. Canadian Batch Digester Corrosion Survey. 86th Annual Meet 1 of 3 Montreal Que. 2000 Feb; p. 239.
- Flynn FW, Riehter FH, Snyder FB. Uneven Corrosion in Alkaline Pulping Digesters. Technical Association of Pulp and Paper Industry Journal. 1953; 36(10):433-38.
- Huseby RA, Schil MA. Corrosion of MS and MS Welds in Sulfate Digesters. Technical Association of Pulp and Paper Industry Journal. 1951; 34(5):202.
- Audouard JP. Duplex Stainless Steels for Kraft Pulp Batch Digesters-Welding and Corrosion Performance. Proceedings of 5th International Symposium on Corrosion in the Pulp and Paper Industry. 1986; p. 193.
- L & T test report of SPM digester corrosion 1994; p. 17.
- Studies on digester corrosion, project report no. 3, Star paper Mills India 1995-96.
- Wisconsin A. Liquor Composition Effects on Corrosion Rates in Kraft White Liquor, Project 3556-Report three to Members of the Institute of Paper Chemistry, 1985 Sept 11.
- Delblac A, Lundberg. Experience of Stainless Steels in Pulp and Paper Mills Part-1. Paper Asia Journal. 2003; 19(1):21-24.
- Heikki L. Corrosion in Different Process Stages in Modern Kraft Batch Cooking. Proceedings of Technical Association of Pulp and Paper Industry, San Diego. 2002; 1317.
- Ballarshah: Private Discussion with Mill personnel at BILT. 1996.
- Rooks A. A pulp mill tool kit. Technical Association of Pulp and Paper Industry Solutions. 2003; 10:51.
- Tuthill AH. Private Communication circulated on behalf on NiDi Canada. 1997.
- Udayshanker S. Indian Pulp and Paper Technical Association Journal. 1991; 3(1):38.
- Wensley A. The High Cost of Corrosion. Pulp & Paper Canada Journal. 2004; 105(5):10.
- Thorpe PH. Duplex Stainless Pulp Digesters Fabrication and User Experience in Australia and New Zeeland. 8th International Symposium Corrosion in Pulp & Paper Industry. 1995; p. 20.
- Esfahani FA, Sarafbidabad M. Evaluation of Corrosion Rate and Surface Oxides Formed of Zr-2.5%Nb as an Implant Material in Ringer’s Solution. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Feb; 9(6):1-4.
- Dennis JK, Sagoo KS. Wear Behavior of Engineering Coatings and Surface Treatments. Metal Finish. 1991; 89:111–21.
- Elsener B, Crobu M, Scorciapino MA, Rossi A. Electroless Deposited Ni-P Alloys: Corrosion Resistance Mechanism. Journal of Applied Electrochemistry. 2008; 38:1053–60.
- Wang SH, Yang HY, Peng LM, Ding WJ. Characterization of Ni-P/TiO2 MMC Coatings Prepared by Electroless Plating Process on Mg-Nd-Zn-Zr Magnesium Alloys. Material Science Forum. 2011; 690:422.
- Agarwala RC, Agarwala V. Electroless Alloy/Composite Coatings: A review. Sadhana. 2003; 28:475-93.
- Anil Kumar BK, Ananthaprasad MG, Gopala Krishna K. A Review on Mechanical and Tribological Behaviors of Nickel Matrix Composites. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Jan; 9(2):1-7.
- Kumar D, Agnihotri KG, Purohit R. A Review on Properties, Behaviour and Processing Methods for Al- Nano Al2O3 Composites. Procedia Materials Science. 2014; 6:567–89.
- Chen X, Mao SS. Titanium Dioxide Nanomaterials: Synthesis, Properties, Modifications, and Applications. Chemical Reviews 2007; 107(7):2891-959.
- Sharma SB, Agarwala RC, Agarwala V, Ray S. Dry Sliding Wear and Friction Behaviour of Ni-P-ZrO2-Al2O3 Composite Electroless Coatings on Aluminium. International Journal of Materials Manufacturing Processing. 2002; 17(05):637-49.
- Sharma A, Singh AK. Corrosion and Wear Study of Ni-P-PTFE-Al2O3 Coating: The Effect of Heat Treatment. Central European Journal of Engineering. 2014; 4(1):80-89.
- Sharma A. Singh AK. Electroless N-P-PTFE-Al2O3 Dispersion Nanocomposite Coating for Corrosion and Wear Resistance. Journal of Materials and Engineering Performance. 2014; 23(1):142-51.
- de-Hazan Y, Werner D, Z’graggen M, Groteklaes M, Graule T. Homogeneous Ni-P/Al2O3 Nanocomposite Coatings from Stable Dispersions in Electroless Nickel Baths. Journal of Colloid and Interface Science. 2008, 328(1):103–09.
- Apachitei I, Tichelaar FD, Duszczyk J, Katgerman L, The Effect of Heat Treatment on the Structure and Abrasive Wear Resistance of Autocatalytic Ni-P and Ni-P-SiC Coatings. Surface and Coatings Technology. 2002; 149(2-3):263–78.
- Maheswary S, Sharma S, Sharma A. Electroless Ni-P-Al2O3-TiO2 Dispersion Nanocomposite Coating for Corrosion and Wear Resistance. Journal of Materials and Environment Science. Communicated, 2016 Jan.
- Scan-N4: 63, Scandinavian Pulp & Paper Testing Board. 1967 Feb.
- SCAN-N2: 63 and SCAN N3:63 Scandinavian Pulp & Paper Testing Board.
- Dosris GM, Uloth VC. Analysis of Oxidized White Liquors Part-1: Determination of Polysulfides by Gravimetery Method. Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences Journal. 1994, 20(8):211.
- Sharma A. Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee: Corrosion Investigations in Pulping and Bleaching media. PhD. Thesis. 2007.
- ASM Handbook Committee. Electroless Nickel-Plating, Surface Engineering. American Society for Metals. 1994; 5:291.
- Bolton W. Butterworth-Heinemann, Oxford: Engineering Materials Technology, 3rd Edition. 1998; p. 447.
- Carter VE (Ed). London: Butterworth Scientific Press: Corrosion Testing for Metal Finishing. 1982.
- Tuthill AH (Ed.). Stainless Steels and Specialty Alloys for Modern Pulp & Paper Mills, NiDi, Reference Book Series no. 11025:138.
- Sharma A, Sharma S, Sharma S. In-Plant Test for Corrosion Investigations in Digester of a Paper Mill. Journal of Materials and Environment Science. 2013; 4(3):420-25.
- Kharbach Y, Haoudi A, Skalli MK, Kandri Rodi Y, Aouniti A, Hammouti B, Senhaji O, Zarrouk A. The Role of New Phosphonate Derivatives on the Corrosion Inhibition of Mild Steel in 1M H2SO4 Media. Journal of Materials and Environment Science. 2015; 6(10):2906-16.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.