Experimental Analysis of m-ACO Technique for Regression Testing
Objectives: Experimental evaluation of “m-ACO” (Modified Ant Colony Optimization) technique for test case prioritization has been performed on two well known software testing problems namely “Triangle Classification Problem” and “Quadratic Equation Problem”. Apart from these two problems, m-ACO has been experimentally evaluated using open source software JFreeChart. Methods: m-ACO finds the optimized solution to test suite prioritization by modifying the phenomenon used by natural ants to reach to its food source and select the food. This paper attempts to experimentally and comparatively evaluate the proposed m-ACO technique for test case prioritization against some contemporary meta-heuristic techniques using two well known software testing problems and open source problem. Performance evaluation has been measured using two metrics namely APFD (Average Percentage of Faults Detected) and PTR (Percentage of Test Suite Required for Complete Fault Coverage). Findings: The proposed technique m-ACO proves its efficiency on both the parameters. m-ACO achieves higher fault detection rate with minimized test suite as comparative to other meta-heuristic techniques for test case prioritization. Improvements: The proposed technique m-ACO basically works by modifying the food source searching and selection pattern of the real ants. Real ants grab every type food source it comes across; while modified ants evaluate the food fitness and uniqueness before selection. This phenomenon enhances the quality and diversity of deposited food source.
- Beizer B. Software Testing Techniques. 2nd ed. India: Dreamtech Press; 2003.
- Catal C, Mishra D. Test Case Prioritization: A systematic study. Software Quality Journal. 2013; 21(2):445–78.
- Chandu PMSS, Sasikala T. Implementation of regression testing of test case prioritization. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Apr; 8(S8):2903. DOI: 10.17485/ijst/2015/v8iS8/61922.
- Leung H, White L. Insights into regression testing. Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Software Maintenance; 1989 Oct. p. 60–9.
- Srivastava PR. Test case prioritization. Journal of Theoritical and Applied Information Technology. 2008; 4(3):178–81.
- Kaur A, Goyal S. A bee colony optimization algorithm for code coverage test suite prioritization. International Journal of Engineering Science and Technology. 2011; 3(4):2786–95.
- Singh Y, Kaur A, Suri B, Singhal S. Test case prioritization using Ant Colony Optimization. ACM SIGSOFT Software Engineering Notes. 2012; 35(4):1–7.
- Li Z, Harman M, Hierons RM. Search algorithms for regression test case prioritization. IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering. 2007; 33(4):225–37.
- Solanki K, Singh Y, Dalal S. Test case prioritization: An approach based on modified Ant Colony Optimization. Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Computer, Communication and Control; Indore, India. 2015 Sept. Available at IEEE-xplore Digital Library.
- Elbaum S, Malishevsky A, Rothermel G. Test case prioritization: A family of empirical studies. IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering. 2002; 28(2):159–82.
- Elbaum S, Rothermel G, Kanduri S, Malishevsky AG. Selecting a cost-effective test case prioritization technique. Software Quality Journal. 2004; 12(3):185–210.
- Raju S, Uma GV. Factors oriented test case prioritization technique in regression testing using genetic algorithm. European Journal of Scientific Research. 2012; 74(3):389–402.
- Just R, Jalali D, Ernst MD. Defects4J: A database of existing faults to enable controlled testing studies for Java programs. ACM International Symposium on Software Testing and Analysis; 2014. p. 437–40.
- Jacob TP, Ravi. An optimal technique for reducing the effort of regression test. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2013 Aug; 6(8):5065–9. DOI: 10.17485/ijst/2013/v6i8/36345.
- Maheshwari V, Prasanna M. Generation of test case using automation in software systems: A review. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Dec; 8(35):1–9. DOI: 10.17485/ijst/2015/v8i35/72881.
- Musa S, Sultan AB, Ghani AB, Baharom S. Software regression test case prioritization for object-oriented programs using genetic algorithm with reduced-fitness severity. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Nov; 8(30):1–9. DOI: 10.17485/ijst/2015/v8i30/86661.
- Maheswari RU, JeyaMala D. Combined genetic and simulated annealing approach for test case prioritization. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Dec; 8(35):1–5. DOI: 10.17485/ijst/2015/v8i35/81102.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.