Total views : 297
An Effective Approach for Minimizing Energy Consumption in WSN
Wireless Sensor Networks finds it difficult to transfer equal amount of data through all nodes, and in minimizing the level of energy consumption during transmission of data. This paper is an improvement to LEACH protocol; suggested to increase the overall lifespan of the network. Formation of clusters is based upon distance of nodes from base station, number of neighbor nodes and distance among neighbor nodes. The cluster heads are selected on the basis of nodes holding maximum energy. We have proposed the concept of selecting the master cluster head from the elected cluster heads based on the strength of energy that CH nodes have and the distance from the Base station. Further, using this concept, the fused data from master CH are forwarded to the sink node. Proposed work reduces the frequency and length of data exchanged between the CHs and the Base station. Simulation results revealed that the proposed method reduces the consumption of energy by 46.85 percent and increases the lifespan of the network efficiently. The parameters for comparison are First Node Dead and Half Node Alive.
Clustering, LEACH, Master Cluster Head, Network Lifetime, Sensor Nodes.
- Hadjila M, Feham M. A comparative study of the Wireless Sensor Networks routing protocols scalability. International Journal of Distributed and Parallel Systems. 2011; 2(4):26– 33.
- Kang SH, Nguyen T. Distance based thresholds for cluster head selection in wireless sensor networks. IEEE Communications Letters. 2012; 16(9):1396–9.
- Arbab E, Aghazarian V, Hedayati A, Motlagh NG. A LEACH-based clustering algorithm for optimizing energy consumption in wireless sensor networks. 2nd International Conference on Computer Science and Information Technology; Singapore. 2012. p. 147–50.
- Kumar S, Prateek M, Ahuja NJ, Bhushan B. DE-LEACH: Distance and energy aware LEACH. International Journal of Computer Applications. 2014; 88(9):36–42.
- Gaba GS, Pasricha R, Miglani R, Singh P. Energy conservation in wireless sensor networks through HEECA Mechanism. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015; 8(28):1–5.
- Kaur J, Gaba GS, Miglani R, Pasricha R. Energy efficient and reliable WSN based on improved LEACH-R clustering techniques. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015; 8(16):1–6.
- Kumar A, Kumar V, Chand N. Energy efficient clustering and cluster head rotation scheme for wireless sensor networks. International Journal of Advanced Computer Science and Applications. 2011; 3(5):129–36.
- Xiangning F, Yulin S. Improvement on LEACH protocol of wireless sensor network. International Conference on Sensor Technologies and Applications; 2007. p. 260–4.
- Mumtaz M, Mumtaz A, Khan MN. Energy aware routing using improved LEACH protocol. Universal Journal of Communications and Network. 2015; 3(3):64–7.
- Kim KT, Kim MY, Choi JH, Youn HY. An energy efficient and optimal randomized clustering for wireless sensor networks. 16th IEEE/ACIS International Conference on Software Engineering Artificial Intelligence, Networking, and Parallel/Distributed Computing; 2015. p. 1–6.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.