Total views : 275
Switched Reluctance Generator for Low Speed Wind Turbines with Counter-Rotary Drive
Background/Objectives: To design a new type of switched reluctance generator for low speed wind turbines which operate at low speed wind. Methods/Statistical Analysis: Structure and operation principle of the proposed switched reluctance machine are described. The generator-wind turbine is a direct-drive one and has two mobile parts which can be droved by two wind turbines in counter-rotary motion. A test bench was achieved and two types of experiments were realized: first, with a part of the generator fixed and the other in rotary motion, and second with the both parts in motion. Findings: Using the counter-rotary motion it results an important increasing of the output voltage of the generator for the same speed. The generator can be used both for the turbines with horizontal or vertical axle, with some advantages for the vertical axes case, especially in urban area, where safe operation of vertical axis wind turbines requires low rotational speeds to reduce noise, mechanical vibrations and proximity hazards. Applications/Improvements: The proposed direct-drive generator is more efficient than the classical structure with gears and the simple rotary motion.
Counter-Rotary Motion, Low Speed Wind, Switched Reluctance Generator, Wind Turbine.
- Li H, Chen Z. Overview of different wind generator systems and their comparisons. IET Renewable Power Generation. 2008; 2(2):123-38.
- Polinder H, Bang DE, Li H, Chen Z. Concept report on generator topologies, mechanical and electromagnetic optimization. Project up Wind. 2007.
- Zuher A, Mehrdad K. An analytical literature review of stand-alone wind energy conversion systems from generator viewpoint. Reneweable and Sustainable Energy Reviews. 2013; 28:597–15.
- Polinder H, De Haan SWH, Dubois MR, Slootweg JG. Basic operation principles and electrical conversion systems of wind turbines. 4th Nordic Workshop on Power and Electronics and Drives; 2005; 15(4):43-50.
- Darie E, Cepisca C. The use of Switched Reluctance Generator in wind energy applications. In: Hammons TJ, editors. 13th Renewable Energy, in Technology; 2007. p. 448-62.
- Arifin A, Al-Bahadly IH, Mukhopadhyay SC. State of the Art of Switched Reluctance Generator. Energy and Power Engineering. 2012; 4:447-58.
- Arifin A, Al-Bahadly I H. Switched reluctance generator for variable speed wind energy applications. Smart Grid and Renewable Energy. 2011; 2(1):227-36.
- Plesca A, Scintee A. Testing of power electrical apparatus using modular high current source. IREE. 2010; 5(3):1218-24.
- Plesca A. Busbar temperature monitoring and correlation with protection electrical apparatus. IREE. 2011; 6(5):2659-65.
- Choi DW, Byun SI, Cho YH. A study on the maximum power control method of switched reluctance generator for wind turbine. IEEE Transactions on Magnetics. 2014; 50(1).
- Bao YJ, Cheng KWE, Cheung NC, Ho SL. Experimental examination on a new switched reluctance wind power generator system for electric vehicles. IET Power Electronics. 2012; 5(8):1262–9.
- Ajao KR, Mahamood MR, Iyanda MO. Interface for modeling the power output of a small wind turbine. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2009 May; 2(5).
- Rajaji L, Kumar C. neural network controller based induction generator for wind turbine applications. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2009 Feb; 2(2).
- Menon Parvathy V, Gnanambigai M. Stability analysis of the variable speed wind turbine using sliding mode control. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Apr; 8(S7).
- Yen J, Ahmed N. Improving safety and performance of small-scale vertical axis wind turbines. Procedia Engineering. 2012; 49:99–106.
- Messineo AV, Culotta S. Evaluating the performances of small wind turbines: A case study in the South of Italy. Energy Procedia. 2012; 16:137–45.
- Ilie V, Almasi L, Nedelcu S. Utilizarea energiei vantului. Tehnica, Bucuresti. 1984.
- Patel MR. Wind and Solar Power Systems. New York: CRC Press; 1999.
- Bostan I, Dulgheru V, Sobor IV, Bostan V. Sisteme de conversie a energiilor regenerabile: Eoliana, solara, hidraulica. Tehnica-Info, Chisinau. 2007.
- Martinez J. Modelling and Control of Wind Turbines. London, UK: Imperial College; 2007.
- Barros TA, Dos S, Filho AJS, Filho ER. Direct Power Control for Switched Reluctance Generator. In: Muyeen M, (editor). Wind Energy, Modeling and Control Aspects of Wind Power Systems. USA: Intech; 2013.
- Nassereddine M, Rizk J, Nagrial M. Switched reluctance generator for wind power applications. World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology. 2008; 2(5):583-7.
- Fiedler AJ, Tullis S. Blade offset and pitch effects on a high solidity vertical axis wind turbine. Wind Engineering. 2009; 33(3):237–46.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.