Total views : 575
Software Documentation Management Issues and Practices: A Survey
Background/Objectives: Software Documentation plays a significant role in any project. This paper is mainly focused on summarizing the various problems with documentation and the practices proposed to address them. Findings: The analysis establishes the fact that documentation needs are specific for each project. The documentation management issues relate to either neglecting or overdoing documentation. Application/Improvements: A study of all the issues and practices for documentation management revealed that documentation processes should be tailor made for every project according to the various factors that determine the documentation needs for a project. Implementation of documentation practices should be project specific rather than organization specific.
Artifacts, Maintenance, Software Documentation, Software Engineering.
- Kajko-Mattsson Mira. A survey of documentation practice within corrective maintenance. Empirical Software Engineering 10.1. 2005; p. 31–55.
- Lethbridge Timothy C, Janice Singer and Andrew Forward. How software engineers use documentation: The state of the practice. Software iEEE 20.6. 2003; p. 35–39.
- Tryggeseth Eirik. Report from an experiment: Impact of documentation on maintenance. Empirical Software Engineering 2.2. 1997; p. 201–07.
- Sousa Castro Maria Joao and Moreira Helena Mendes. A survey on the software maintenance process. 1998 IEEE, Proceedings International Conference on Software Maintenance. 1998.
- Leotta Maurizio et al. A pilot experiment to quantify the effect of documentation accuracy on maintenance tasks. 2013 IEEE International Conference on Software Maintenance. IEEE, 2013.
- Arisholm Erik et al. The impact of UML documentation on software maintenance: An experimental evaluation. IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering 32.6. 2006; p. 365–81.
- Fernandez-Saez Ana M et al. On the use of UML documentation in software maintenance: Results from a survey in industry. Model Driven Engineering Languages and Systems (MODELS). 2015 ACM/IEEE 18th International Conference on. IEEE, 2015.
- Forward Andrew and Timothy C Lethbridge. The relevance of software documentation, tools and technologies: a survey. Proceedings of the 2002 ACM symposium on Document engineering. ACM, 2002.
- Chomal Vikas S and Jatinderkumar R Saini. Software Template for Evaluating and Scoring Software Project Documentations. International Journal of Computer Applications 116.1. 2015.
- Reiss Steven P. Incremental maintenance of software artifacts. IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering 32.9. 2006; p. 682–97.
- Alaranta Maria and Stefanie Betz. Knowledge Problems in Corrective Software Maintenance-A Case Study. IEEE, 2012 45th Hawaii International Conference on System Science (HICSS). 2012.
- Forward Andrew. University of Ottawa: Software Documentation–Building and Maintaining Artefacts of Communication. Dissertation. 2002.
- Garousi Golara et al. Evaluating usage and quality of technical software documentation: an empirical study. Proceedings of the 17th International Conference on Evaluation and Assessment in Software Engineering. ACM, 2013.
- Das Sumita, Wayne G Lutters and Carolyn B Seaman. Understanding documentation value in software maintenance. Proceedings of the 2007 Symposium on Computer human interaction for the management of information technology. ACM, 2007.
- Fernandez-Saez Ana M et al. On the use of UML documentation in software maintenance: Results from a survey in industry. 2015 ACM/IEEE 18th International Conference on Model Driven Engineering Languages and Systems (MODELS). IEEE, 2015.
- Lethbridge Timothy C, Janice Singer and Andrew Forward. How software engineers use documentation: The state of the practice. Software, iEEE 20.6. 2003; p. 35–39.
- de Souza Sergio Cozzetti B, Nicolas Anquetil and Kathia M de Oliveira. A study of the documentation essential to software maintenance. Proceedings of the 23rd annual international conference on Design of communication: documenting & designing for pervasive information. ACM, 2005.
- Moreno Laura. Summarization of complex software artifacts. Companion Proceedings of the 36th International Conference on Software Engineering. ACM, 2014.
- Khan Ahmad Salman and Mira Kajko Mattsson. Management of documentation and maintainability in the context of software handover. 2012 8th International Conference on Computing Technology and Information Management (ICCM). IEEE, 2012; 1.
- Treude Christoph, Martin P Robillard and Barthelemy Dagenais. Extracting development tasks to navigate software documentation. IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering 41.6. 2015; p. 565–81.
- Miller William L, Lawrence B Compton and Bruce L Woodmansee. Assuming Software Maintenance of a Large, Embedded Legacy System from the Original Developer. 2013 IEEE International Conference on Software Maintenance. IEEE, 2013.
- Jaber Khaled, Bonita Sharif and Chang Liu. A study on the effect of traceability links in software maintenance. Access, IEEE 1. 2013; p. 726–41.
- Sherman Sofia and Irit Hadar. Identifying the need for a sustainable architecture maintenance process. 2012 IEEE, 5th International Workshop on Cooperative and Human Aspects of Software Engineering (CHASE). 2012.
- Coen J Burki, Harald H Vogt. How to save on software maintenance costs An Omnext white paper on software quality. 2014.
- Briand Lionel C. Software documentation: how much is enough? 2003 IEEE, Proceedings Seventh European Conference on Software Maintenance and Reengineering. 2003.
- Garousi Golara et al. Usage and usefulness of technical software documentation: An industrial case study. Information and Software Technology 57. 2015; p. 664–82.
- Singh Vandana and Lila Holt. Online Technical Support: How It Works and Why It Fails? 2013 IEEE, 46th Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences (HICSS). 2013.
- Ding Wei et al. How do open source communities document software architecture: An exploratory survey. 2014 IEEE, 19th International Conference on Engineering of Complex Computer Systems (ICECCS). 2014.
- Plosch Reinhold, Andreas Dautovic and Matthias Saft. The Value of Software Documentation Quality. 2014 IEEE, 14th International Conference on Quality Software (QSIC). 2014.
- Waits Todd and Joseph Yankel. Continuous system and user documentation integration. 2014 IEEE International Professional Communication Conference (IPCC). IEEE, 2014.
- Canfora Gerardo, Massimiliano Di Penta and Luigi Cerulo. Achievements and challenges in software reverse engineering. Communications of the ACM 54.4. 2011: p. 142–51.
- Stettina Christoph Johann and Egbert Kroon. Is there an agile handover? An empirical study of documentation and project handover practices across agile software teams. 2013 International Conference on Engineering, Technology and Innovation (ICE) & IEEE International Technology Management Conference. IEEE, 2013.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.