Total views : 305
BER Analysis of WiMAX using Diverse Channel Coding Schemes
WiMAX is the most popular wireless technology these days for it has high data rates and better performance than other wireless and wired broadband technologies. The performance of WiMAX is severely affected by the multipath fading environment. The efficiency of the WiMAX system can be improved using efficient forward error coding schemes. In this paper a comparison of various FEC schemes such as BCH, RS, LDPC and convolution encoding has been done on two different channels namely-Rayleigh and AWGN. The BER performance of the WiMAX system is further analyzed by utilizing diverse modulation levels over both Rayleigh and AWGN channel. The simulation results show that the best performance is achieved by RS codes and BCH codes followed by LDPC codes and then the convolutional codes. Also, as we vary the code rate of the convolution encoder the BER further degrades. The graphical representations show that the improvement can go as high as 4 dB in some cases in terms of SNR required achieving a particular BER value. The use of RS and BCH encoding schemes will result in better performance in existing WiMAX systems.
AWGN, BCH, FEC, LDPC, WiMAX.
- Benjangkaprasert C, Inchan T. Signal processing of WiMAX physical layer based on low-density parity-check codes. Proceedings of International Conference on Control Automation and Systems; Seoul. 2014 Oct. p. 556-60.
- Al-Mistarihi MF, Mowafi MY, Marei MS. An optimum scheme for WiMAX bandwidth management using dynamic channel allocation. Proceedings of IEEE International Convention; Opatija. 2012 May. p. 538-41.
- Ahson S, Ilyas M. WiMAX Applications. CRC Press; 2008.
- Wiegandt DA. High-throughput, high-performance OFDM via pseudo-orthogonal carrier interferometry spreading codes. IEEE Transactions on Communications. 2003 Jul; 51(7):1123-34.
- Vadde V. Partial response signaling for equalization of OFDM systems in severe multipath channels. Proceedings of IEEE International Symposium on Signal Processing and Information Technology; Pacific Grove, CA, USE. 2001 Dec. p. 1601-5.
- Angrisani L. Modulation quality measurement in WiMAX systems through a fully digital signal processing approach. IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement. 2010 Sep; 59(9):2286-302.
- Ali AA. MQAM modulation and RS codes for SS-CDMA communication over Rician fading channels. Proceedings of IEEE Communications; 1998 Dec. p. 414-8.
- Ding C. The Bose and minimum distance of a class of BCH codes. IEEE Transactions on Information Theory. 2015 Apr; 61(5):2351-6.
- Gallager RG. Low-density parity-check codes. IRE Transaction on Information Theory. 1962 Jan; 8:21-8.
- Khan S, Fisal N, Bakar ZA, Salawu N, Maqbool W, Ullah R, Safdar H. Secure authentication and key management protocols for mobile multihop WiMAX networks. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2014 Jan; 7(3):282-95.
- Singh C, Patterh MS, Sharma S. Design of programmable digital down converter for Wimax. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2009 Mar; 2(3):20-1.
- Qamar RA, Maarof MA, Ibrahim S. An efficient encoding algorithm for (n, k) binary cyclic codes. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2012 May; 5(5):2757-61.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.