Total views : 351
Development and Validation of a Health Status Scale for Korean Hypothyroid Patients
Objectives: The signs and symptoms of hypothyroidism are nonspecific. The present study was aimed to develop a health status scale for Korean hypothyroid patients and evaluate its validity and reliability. Methods/Statistical Analysis: It was designed as a methodological study with a sample of 171 hypothyroid patients at a university hospital in Seoul, Korea. Data analysis was conducted using item analysis, Cronbach’s α, correspondence analysis, test-retest reliability, and confirmatory factor analysis. Findings: To ensure construct validity, only those items with corrected item-total correlations higher than .30 in item analysis were selected. Cronbach’s α ranged from .74 to .85, and intra-class correlation coefficients, from .40 to .85. Correspondence analysis revealed no significant differences (t = .43, p = .67) between the average values of the first (2.46 ± 0.49, δ ± SD) and the second (2.42 ± 0.63) measurement. To ensure convergent validity, only those items with factor loadings .4 or higher were selected in confirmatory factor analysis; construct reliability was .93, and average variance extracted, .54. Finally, 30 items in 6 categories were selected. Application/ Improvements: This scale is very useful for individual assessment of thyroid failure and treatment monitoring. It was categorized according to body are. Thus, it can simultaneously assess health status of hypothyroid patients and identify specific challenges that need to be addressed by nursing staff.
Health Status, Hypothyroidism, Reliability, Scale, Validity.
- Boelaert K, Franklyn JA. Thyroid hormone in health and disease. Journal of Endocrinology. 2005 Oct; 187(1):1–15.
- Cappola AR, Ladenson PW. Hypothyroidism and Atherosclerosis. The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism. 2003; 88(6):2438–44.
- Dugbartey AT. Neurocognitive aspects of hypothyroidism. Archieves of Internal Medicine. 1998; 158(13):1413–18.
- Song YG, Kim WB, Kim TY. Thyroid hormone and cardiovascular disease. Journal of Korean Society of Endocrinology. 2004; 19:606–15.
- Canaris GJ, Manowitz NR, Mayor G, Ridgway EC. The Colorado thyroid disease prevalence study. Archieves of Internal Medicine. 2000 Feb; 160(4):526–34.
- Empson M, Flood V, Ma G, Eastman CJ, Mitchell P. Prevalence of thyroid disease in an older Australian population. Internal Medicine Journal. 2007Jul; 37(7):448–55.
- Kim YS, Jung EY, Lee BY. The Necessity of Thyroid Function Test of Perimenopausal Women with Menopausal Symptoms. The Journal of Korean Society of Menopause. 2012; 18(3):174–79.
- Chung YJ, Kim MR, Jeong HY et al. Changing Korean Menopausal Women's Awareness on Hormone Therapy: 7-years after Women's Health Initiative Study. The Journal of Korean Society of Menopause. 2012; 18(2):294–99.
- Yeom HE. Factors related to Negative Beliefs about Symptom Management and Their Influence on Self-efficacy. Journal of Korean Gerontological Nursing. 2013; 15(1):11–20.
- Ministry of Health and Welfare. Health and welfare reports-domestic. Available from: http://www.mohw.go.kr/front_new/al/sal10301vw.jsp. Date Accessed: 27/12/2015.
- Choi HS, Park YJ, Kim HK et al. Prevalence of subclinical hypothyroidism in two population based-cohort: Ansung and KLoSHA Cohort in Korea. Journal of Korean Thyroid Association. 2010; 3:32–40.
- Jeon SJ, Kim KM, Kim HK, et al. Medical Surgical Nursing. 5th edn. Hyunmoonsa: Seoul, 2011.
- Robert CG, Ladenson PW. Hypothyroidism. The Lancet. 2004 Mar; 363(9411):793–03.
- Jo BH. Cinical Thyroidology. 2th edn. Korea Medical Book: Seoul, 2005.
- Hollowell JG, Staehling NW, Flanders WD et al. Serum TSH, T(4), and Thyroid antibodies in the United States Population: National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey(NHANES). The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism. 2002; 87(2):489–99.
- Flynn RW, MacDonals TM, Morris AD, Jung RT, Leese GP. The thyroid epidemiology, audit, and research study: thyroid dysfunction in the general population. The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism. 2004; 89(8):3879–84.
- Cho YW. Clinical Implication of serum TSH concentration. Journal of Korean Society of Endocrinology. 2007Apr; 22(2):87–94.
- College of Medicine, Seoul National University, Internal Medicine. Koryo Medical: Seoul, 2005.
- Jaeschke R, Guyatt G, Cook D, Harper S, Gerstein HC. Spectrum of quality of life impairment in hypothyroidism. Quality of Life Research. 1994 Oct; 3(5):323–27.
- Saravanan P, Chau WF, Roberts N, Vedhara K, Greenwood R, Dayan CM. Psychological well-being in patients on ‘adequate’ doses of L-thyroxine: results of a large, controlled community-based questionnaire study. Clinical Endocrinology. 2002 Nov; 57(5): 577–85.
- McMillan CV, Bradley C, Woodcock A, Razvi S, Weaver JU. Design of new questionnaires to measure quality of life and treatment satisfaction in hypothyroidism. Thyroid. 2004 Nov; 14(11):916–25.
- Watt T, Groenvold M, Rasmussen AK et al. Quality of life in patients with benign thyroid disorders. A review. European Journal of Endocrinology. 2006; 154:501–10.
- Shantha GP, Kumar AA, Jeyachandran V et al. Association between primary hypothyroidism and metabolic syndrome and the role of C reactive protein: a cross-sectional study from South India. Thyroid Research. 2009 Mar; 2(2):1–7.
- Roos A, Bakker SJ, Links TP, Gans RO, Wolffenbuttel BH. Thyroid function is associated with components of the metabolic syndrome in euthyroid subjects. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism. 2007 Feb; 92(2):491–96.
- Tan ZS, Beiser A, Vasan RS et al. Thyroid function and the risk of Alzheimer disease: the Framingham study. Archives of Internal Medicine. 2008 Jul; 168(14):1514–20.
- Kim H, Kim H, Byun B. Predictors of pain, perceived health status, nutritional risk, social support and self-transcendence on depression among lower income senior citizens. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Jan; 8(S1):178–88.
- Kim SS. A study on the acceptance factor for telehealth service according to health status by group. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Jan; 8(S1):542–50.
- Uma KV, Balamurugan SAA. Classification of adverse event thyroid cancer using naïve entropy and association function. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Jan; 9(4):1–7.
- Ravisankar R, Kiruba S, Chandrasekaran A, Naseerutheen A, Seran M, Balaji PD. Estimation of thyroid hormone status and thyroid antibodies in type-1 Diabetes Mellitus. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2010 Sep; 3(9):1–2.
- Al-Manie M, Alkanhal MI, Al-Ghamdi MI. The physiological alterations induced by sibutramine anti-obesity drug on the functions of the thyroid gland and the liver: An experimental study on wistar rats. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2010 Dec; 3(12):1–5.
- Nunnally JC, Bernstein IH. Psychometric Theory. 3rd edn. McGraw Hill: New York, 1994.
- Lee UO, Im NY, Park HA. Nursing, Public Health Research and Statistical Analysis. Soomoonsa : Seoul, 1998.
- Hur MH, Yang KS. Multivariate Data Analysis. SPSS Academy: Seoul, 2001.
- Fleiss JL. The Design and Analysis of Clinical Experiments. John Wiley & Sons: New York, 1986.
- Han SY, Nam JM, Myoung SM, Song KJ. A Comparison of sample size requirements for intraclass correlation coefficient (ICC). The Korean Journal of Applied Statistics. 2010; 23(3):497–510.
- Woo JP. The concept and understanding of structural equation model. Hannarae Academy: Seoul, 2012.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.