Total views : 230
Auto Combustion Synthesis, Microstructural and Magnetic Characteristics of Nickel Ferrite Nanoparticles
Background/Objectives: Nickel ferrite nanoparticles are of great interest in various technical and medical applications, such as in sensors, biomedicine and catalysis. In the current investigation, NiFe2O4 nanoparticles have been successfully synthesized via the sol-gel self-ignited process using citric acid as fuel. Methods/Statistical Analysis: Self-ignited sol-gel process was adopted to prepare the sol with the addition of a suitable amount of ethanol. The sol was stirred at 80°C to achieve the dried gel. Thereafter, the dried gel was self-ignited through sol-gel method to reduce the metal iron and to attain the residual precursor. Finally, the residual precursor powder was sintered in air at 700°C for 4 hrs to obtained NiFe2O4 nanoparticles. XRD, FESEM, TEM, FTIR and XPS were used to characterize the synthesized products. Findings: The results confirm the formation of single phase spinel structure, identical grain size (~25 nm) and nodular particle morphology. Magnetic measurements indicated that nanocrystalline ferrite (NiFe2O4) nanoparticles are soft ferromagnetic in nature with high saturation magnetization 44.36 emu/g which is smaller than bulk one. Applications/Improvements: Self-ignited sol-gel method has salient advantages for the synthesis of novel ferrite nanoparticles (soft magnets) having improved performance well suited to drug delivery, magnetic resonance imaging and catalysis etc.
NiFe2O4, Nanoparticles, Combustion Technique, Magnetic Property, XPS
- Smit J and Wijin HPJ. Ferrites. Philips Technical Library.Eindhoven; 1959. p. 204–7.
- Shirsath SE, Toksha BG, Mane ML, Dhage VN, Shengule DR and Jadhav KM. Frequency, temperature and In3+ dependent electrical conduction in NiFe2O4 powder.Powder Technology. 2011; 212(1):218–23. Crossref
- Mane ML, Dhage VN, Sundar R, Ranganathan K, Oak SM, Shengule DR and Jadhav KM. Effect of Nd:YAG laser irradiation on structural, morphological, cation distribution and magnetic properties of nanocrystalline CoFe2O4.Applied Surface Science. 2011; 257(20):8511–7. Crossref
- Blasse G. Crystal chemistry and some magnetic properties of mixed metal oxides with spinel structure. Philips Research Report. 1964; S3:1–139.
- Srivastava M, Ojha AK, Chaubey S and Materny A.Synthesis and optical characterization of nanocrystalline NiFe2O4 structures. Journal of Alloys Compounds. 2009; 481(1-2):515–9. Crossref
- Chen DH and He XR. Synthesis of nickel ferrite nanoparticles by sol-gel method. Materials Research Bulletin. 2001; 36(7-8):1369–77. Crossref
- Cheng Y, Zheng Y, Wang Y, Bao F and Qin Y. Synthesis and magnetic properties of nickel ferrite nano-octahedra.Journal of Solid State Chemistry. 2005; 178(7):2394–7.Crossref
- Huo J and Wei M. Characterization and magnetic properties of nanocrystalline nickel ferrite synthesized by hydrothermal method. Materials Letters. 2009; 63(13-14):1183–4.Crossref
- Salavati NM, Davar F and Mahmoudi T. A simple route to synthesize nanocrystalline nickel ferrite (NiFe2O4) in the presence of octanoic acid as a surfactant. Polyhedron. 2009; 28(8):1455–8. Crossref
- Maensiri S, Masingboon C, Boonchom B and Supapan.A simple route to synthesize nickel ferrite (NiFe2O4) nanoparticles using egg white. Scripta Materialia. 2007; 56(9):797–800. Crossref
- Liu JH, Wang L and Li FS. Magnetic properties and Mossbauer studies of nanosized NiFe2O4 particles. Journal of Materials Science. 2005; 40(9):2573–5. Crossref
- Reddy MP, Madhuri W, Sadhana K, Kim IG, Hui KN, Hui KS, Kumar SKV and Reddy RR. Microwave sintering of nickel ferrite nanoparticles processed via sol-gel method. Journal of Sol-Gel Science and Technology. 2014; 70(3):400–4. Crossref
- Pradeep A, Priyadharsini P and Chandrasekaran G.Production of single phase nano size NiFe2O4 particles using sol-gel auto combustion route by optimizing the preparation conditions. Materials Chemistry and Physics.2008; 112(2):572–6. Crossref
- Ramalho MAF, Gama L, Antonio SG, Paiva-Santos CO, Miola EJ, Kiminami RHGA and Costa ACFM. X-Ray Diffraction and Mossbauer Spectra of Nickel Ferrite Prepared by Combustion Reaction. Journal of Materials Science. 2007; 42(10):3603–6. Crossref
- Raghavender AT, Zadro K, Pajic D, Skoko Z and Billiskov N.Effect of grain size on the Neel temperature of nanocrystalline nickel ferrite. Materials Letters. 2010; 64(10):1144–6. Crossref
- Yue XZ, Zhou J, Li LT, Zhang HG and Gui ZL. Synthesis of nanocrystalline NiCuZn ferrite powders by aol-gel autocombustion method. Journal of Magnetism and MagneticMaterials. 2000; 208(1-2):55–60. Crossref
- Patil KC, Aruna ST and Mimani T. Combustion synthesis: an update. Current Opinion in Solid State Materials Sciences. 2002; 6(6):507–12. Crossref
- El-Saadawy M and Barakat MM. Effect of jump length of electrons on the physical properties of Mn-doped Co0.6Zn0.4Fe2O4 ferrite. Journal of Magnetism Magnetic Materials. 2000; 213(3):309–11. Crossref
- Ma M, Zhang Y, Yu W, Shen HY, Zhang HQ and Gu N. Preparation and Characterization of Magnetite, Nanoparticles Coated by Amino Silane. Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects.2003; 212(2-3):219–26. Crossref
- Bao N, Shen L, Wang Y, Padhan P and Gupta A. A facile thermolysis route to monodisperse ferrite nanocrystals.Journal of the American Chemistry Society. 2007; 129(41):12374–5. Crossref
- Venkataraju C, Sathishkumar G and Sivakumar K. Effect of cation distribution on the structural and magnetic properties of nickel substituted nanosized Mn–Zn ferrites prepared by co-precipitation method. Journal of Magnetism Magnetic Materials. 2010; 322(2):230–3. Crossref
- Assar ST and Abosheiasha HF. Effect of Ca substitution on some physical properties of nano-structured and bulk Ni-ferrite samples. Journal of Magnetism Magnetic Materials. 2015; 374:264–72. Crossref
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.