Total views : 394
In-vitro Fatigue Resistance of Bonded Posterior Occlusal Veneers: A Systematic Review
Objectives: To determine the fatigue resistance of occlusal veneers and whether it can be a successful mean of restoring erosive or attrite posterior teeth. Methods: Search was made in 2 databases including PubMed and LILACS, the terms “occlusal veneers”, “table tops”, “overlays”, “non retentive all ceramic full coverage restorations”, “fatigue resistance”, “ masticatory fatigue”, “stresses”, “fatigue failure” and “fracture strength” were used, title and abstract were screened; giving the exclusion and inclusion standards articles which did not follow the inclusion standards were excluded. Incorporated papers are then read thoroughly for a second stage filter, this was followed by manual searching. Findings: The search resulted in 6 included papers, 3 papers regarding the fatigue resistance of occlusal veneers made of composite and glass ceramic blocks, 1 paper measuring the fatigue resistance of occlusal veneers made of two different glass ceramics, 1 paper comparing occlusal veneers made of resin nano-ceramic with those made of composite blocks and 1 paper simulating five years of clinical service on occlusal veneers made of one type of glass ceramic. From the included studies occlusal veneers were found to be a successful mean of restoring erosive or attrite posterior teeth regarding fatigue resistance.
Composite and Resin Nano-Ceramic, Fatigue Resistance, Glass Ceramics, Occlusal Veneers.
- Kelly JR. Clinically relevant approach to failure testing of all-ceramic restorations. J Prosthet Dent. 1999 Jun; 81(6):652–61.
- Rosenblum MA, Schulman A. A review all-ceramic restoration. J Am Dent Assoc. 1997 Mar; 128(3):297–307.
- Van Dijken JW. All-ceramic restorations: classification and clinical evaluations. Compend Contin Educ Dent. 1999; 20(12):1115–24.
- Felden A, Schmalz G, Federlin M, Hiller KA. Retrospective clinical investigation and survival analysis on ceramic inlays and partial ceramic crowns: Results up to 7 years. Clin Oral Investig. 1998 Dec; 2(4):161-7.
- El-Mowafy O, Brochu JF. Longevity and clinical performance of IPS-empress ceramic restorations – A literature review. J Can Dent Assoc. 2002; 68(4):233–7.
- Kramer N, Frankenberger R. Clinical performance of bonded leucite-reinforced glass ceramic inlays and onlays after eight years. Dent Mater. 2005 Mar; 21(3):262–71.
- Otto T, De Nisco S. Computer-manufactured, direct ceramic restorations: A prospective, clinical 10-year study of Cerec CAD–CAM inlays and onlays. Schweiz Monatsschr Zahnmed. 2003; 113(2):156–69.
- Attia A, Kern M. Influence of cyclic loading and luting agents on the fracture load of two all-ceramic crown systems. J Prosthet Dent. 2004 Dec; 92(6):551–66.
- Heintze SD, Cavalleri A, Zellweger G, Buchler A, Zappini G. Fracture frequency of all-ceramic crowns during dynamic loading in a chewing simulator using different loading and luting protocols. Dent Mater. 2008 Oct; 24(10):1352–61.
- Stappert CF, Att W, Gerds T, Strub JR. Fracture resistance of different partial-coverage ceramic molar restorations: An in vitro investigation. J Am Dent Assoc. 2006 Apr; 137(4):514–22.
- Stoll R, Sieweke M, Pieper K, Stachniss V, Schulte A. Longevity of cast gold inlays and partial crowns. A retrospective study at a dental school clinic. Clin Oral Investig. 1999 Jun; 3(2):100–4.
- Clausen J-O, Abou Tara M, Kern M. Dynamic fatigue and fracture resistance of non-retentive all-ceramic full-coverage molar restorations. Influence of ceramic material and preparation design. Dental Materials. 2010 Jun; 26(6):533–8.
- Magne P, Belser U. Understanding the intact tooth and the biomimetic principle. In: Magne, Belser, editors. Bonded Porcelain Restorations in the Anterior Dentition: A Biomimetic Approach. Chicago: Quintessence Publishing Co; 2002. p. 23-55.
- Barron RP, Carmichael RP, Marcon MA, Sandor GKB. Dental erosion in gastro esophageal reflux disease. J Can Dent Assoc. 2003 Feb; 69(2):84-9.
- Lussi A, Hellwig E, Ganss C, Jaeggi T. Buonocore memorial lecture. Dental Erosion: Oper Dent. 2009 May-Jun; 34(3):251-62.
- Vailati F, Belser UC. Full-mouth adhesive rehabilitation of a severely eroded dentition: The three-step technique. Part 1. Eur J Esthet Dent. 2008; 3(1):30-44.
- Vailati F, Belser UC. Full-mouth adhesive rehabilitation of a severely eroded dentition: The three-step technique. Part 2. Eur J Esthet Dent. 2008; 3(2):128-46.
- Vailati F and Belser UC: Full-mouth adhesive rehabilitation of a severely eroded dentition: the three-step technique. Part 3. Eur J Esthet Dent 2008; 3(3):236-57.
- Moher D, Liberati A, Tetzlaff J, et al. Preferred reporting items for systematic reviews and meta-analyses: The PRISMA statement. BMJ. 2009 Jul; 339(b2535):332-6.
- Magne P, Schlichting LH, Maia HP, Baratieri LN. In vitro fatigue resistance of CAD/CAM composite resin and ceramic posterior occlusal veneers. J Prosthet Dent. 2010 Aug; 104(3):149–57.
- Schlichting LH, Maia HP, Baratieri LN, Magne P. Novel-design ultra-thin CAD/CAM composite resin and ceramic occlusal veneers for the treatment of severe dental erosion. J Prosthet Dent. 2011 Apr; 105(4):217–26.
- Magne P, Stanley K, Schlichting LH. Modeling of ultrathin occlusal veneers. Dental Materials. 2012 Jul; 28(7):777–82.
- Skouridou N, Pollington S, Rosentritt M, Tsitrou E. Fracture strength of minimally prepared all-ceramic CEREC crowns after simulating 5 years of service. Dental Materials. 2013 Jun; 29(6):70-7.
- Johnson AC, Versluis A, Tantbirojn D, Ahuja S. Fracture strength of CAD/CAM composite and composite-ceramic occlusal veneers. J Prosthodont Res. 2014 Mar; 58(2):107-114.
- Kern M, Fechtig T, Strub JR. Influence of water storage and thermal cycling on the fracture strength of all-porcelain, resin-bonded fixed partial dentures. J Prosthet Dent. 1994 Mar; 71(3):251–6.
- Kern M, Strub JR, Lu X-Y. Wear of composite resin veneering materials in a dual-axis chewing simulator. J Oral Rehabil. 1999 May; 26(5):372–8.
- Sobrinho LC, Cattell MJ, Glover RH, Knowles JC. Investigation of the dry and wet fatigue properties of three all-ceramic crown systems. Int J Prosthodont. 1998 May-Jun; 11(3):255–62.
- Zahran M, El-Mowafy O, Tam L. Fracture strength and fatigue resistance of all-ceramic molar crowns manufactured with CAD/CAM technology. J Prosthodont. 2008 Jul; 17(5):370–7.
- Drummond JL. Ceramic behavior under different environmental and loading conditions. In: George E, Theodore E, William AB, Editors. Dental Materials in vivo: Aging and Related Phenomena. Quint Pub; 2003. p. 40.
- El-Damanhoury H, Haj-Ali RN, Platt JA. Fracture Resistance and microleakage of endocrowns utilizing three CAD-CAM blocks. Oper Dent. 2015 Mar-Apr; 40(2):201–10.
- Fennis WMM, Kuijs RH, Kreulen CM, Verdonschot N, Creugers NH. Fatigue resistance of teeth restored with cuspal coverage composite restorations. Int J Prosthodont. 2004 May-Jun; 17(3):313-7.
- Craig RG. Selected properties of dental composites. J Dent Res. 1979 May; 58(5):1544-50.
- Magne P, Belser UC. Porcelain versus composite inlays/onlays: Effects of mechanical loads on stress distribution, adhesion, and crown flexure. Int J Periodontics Restorative Dent. 2003 Dec; 23(6):543-55.
- Schlichting LH, Andrada MA, Vieira LC, de Oliveira Barra GM, Magne P. Composite resin reinforced with pre-tensioned glass fibers. Influence of prestressing on flexural properties. Dent Mater. 2010 Feb; 26(2):118-25.
- Kunzelmann KH, Jelen B, Mehl A, Hickel R. Wear evaluation of MZ100 compared to ceramic CAD/CAM materials. Int J Comput Dent. 2001 Jul; 4(3):171-84.
- Zahedi JAM, Ziaie F, Larijani MM, Borghei SM, Kamaliyanfar A. Synthesis and characterization of sodium-carbon apatite nano-crystals by chemical sedimentation method. Indian J Sci Technol. 2012 Mar; 5(S3):2464–7.
- Rastegari F, Rastegari F. Silicon nanocrystal memories. Indian J Sci Technol. 2012; 5(S3):2451–4.
- Bilankohi SM, Ebrahimzadeh M, Ghaffary T, Zeidiyam M. Scattering, absorption and extinction properties of Al/TiO2 core/shell nano-spheres. Indian J Sci Technol. 2015 May; 8(S9):27–30.
- Raj MS, Arkin VH, Jagannath AM. Nanocomposites based on polymer and hydroxyapatite for drug delivery application. Indian J Sci Technol. 2013 May; 6(S5):4653–8.
- Prince MJA. Optimizing ultralow interfacial tension by altering surfactant concentration through emulsion test. Indian J Sci Technol. 2014 Nov; 7(S7):10–2.
- Karthik Pandian SJ, Ramachandra Murthy A, Helen Santhi M. Investigations on RC beams retrofitted with UHSCC overlay under fatigue loading. Indian J Sci Technol. 2016 Feb; 9(5):1-5.
- Lee SY, Lim SR, Cho YS. Remineralization effect of fluoride on early caries lesions using a Quantitative Light-Induced Fluorescence-Digital (QLF-D). Indian J Sci Technol. 2015 Jan; 8(S1):457–61.
- Jalali T, Pooshimin R. Introduction of 3d photonic crystal waveguide structure by calculating effective refractive index. Indian J Sci Technol. 2015 May; 8(S9):20–6.
- Park YW, Lim CH, Jung HR, Yang ON, Bbaek CM. Appropriate inspection distance of digital X-ray imaging equipment for diagnosis. Indian J Sci Technol. 2015 Apr; 8(S8):380–6.
- Bharathi K, Karthikeyan S. A novel implementation of image segmentation for extracting abnormal images in medical image applications. Indian J Sci Technol. 2015 Apr; 8(S8):380–6.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.