Total views : 313
Evaluation of Wear and Hardness of Zirconia with Different Surface Treatment Protocols a Systematic Review
Objective: The objective of this systematic review is to assess the wear and hardness of surface treated zirconia. Methods: Two automated databases were investigated till July 2015 with no limits. The scientific terms: “Dental enamel”, “Yttria stabilized tetragonal zirconia”, “Tooth wear”, “Enamel wear”, “Hardness”, “Translucent zirconia’ and “Dental restoration wear” were used in this study. Initially screening was performed for the retrieved articles through title and abstract after that, full-text assessment was done to those articles that fulfilled the inclusion criteria. Findings: Sixty-nine potentially eligible studies were retrieved from the data base search; after duplicate removal the studies became sixty-three. Full-text assessment was performed for all titles and abstracts that met the inclusion criteria. Finally, seventeen studies met the inclusion criteria, and so their references were also screened. Applications/Improvements: Although studies applied different wear testing methodologies; wear testing devices, number of cycles, magnitude of force, number of samples, sample preparation for zirconia and enamel antagonist surface, as well as hardness measurement protocol, full contoured polished zirconia and human enamel (as antagonist) showed high resistance to wear. It was also concluded that zirconia showed high hardness as a surface property. It is recommended to polish the surface of restorations made of full-contour zirconia because this polishing favours the surface properties (wear and hardness) to opposing enamel.
Dental Enamel, Hardness, Translucent Zirconia, Y-TZP, Wear.
- Preis V, Behr M, Kolbeck C, Hahnel S, Handel G, Rosentritt M. Wear performance of substructure ceramics and veneering porcelains. Dental Materials. 2011; 27(8):796–804. DOI: 10.1016/j.dental.2011.04.001.
- Albashaireh ZSM, Kern M. Two-body wear of different ceramic materials opposed to zirconia ceramic. Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry. 2010; 104(2):105–13. DOI: 10.1016/S0022-3913(10)60102-3.
- Cattani-Lorente M, Scherrer SS, Ammann P, Jobin M, Wiskott HWA. Low temperature degradation of a Y-TZP dental ceramic. Acta Biomaterialia. 2011; 7(2):858–65. DOI: 10.1016/j.actbio.2010.09.020.
- Rosentritt M, Preis V, Behr M, Hahnel S, Handel G, Kolbeck C. Two-body wear of dental porcelain and substructure oxide ceramics. Clinical Oral Investigations. 2012; 16:935–43. DOI: 10.1007/s00784-011-0589-9.
- Rothwell PM. External validity of randomised controlled trials: To whom do the results of this trial apply? The Lancet. 2005; 365(9453):82–93. DOI: 10.1016/S0140-6736(04)17670-8.
- Curtis AR, Wright AJ, Fleming GJP, Cam CAD. The influence of surface modification techniques on the performance of a Y-TZP dental ceramic. Journal of Dentistry. 2006; 34:195–206. DOI: 10.1016/j.jdent.2005.06.006.
- Jung Y-S, DDS, Lee J-W, Choi Y-J, Ahn J-S, Shin S-W, Huh J-B. A study on the in-vitro wear of the natural tooth structure by opposing zirconia or dental porcelain. Journal of Advanced Prosthodontics. 2010 Sep 30; 2(3):111–15.
- Alghazzawi TF1, Lemons J, Liu PR, Essig ME, Bartolucci AA, Janowski GM. Influence of Low-Temperature Environmental Exposure on the Mechanical Properties and Structural Stability of Dental Zirconia. Journal of Prosthodontics. 2012; 21:363–9. DOI: 10.1111/j.1532-849X.2011.00838.x.
- Beuer F, Stimmelmayr M, Gueth J, Edelhoff D, Naumann M. In vitro performance of full-contour zirconia single crowns. Dental Materials. 2012; 28(4):449–56. DOI: 10.1016/j.dental.2011.11.024.
- Janyavula S, Lawson N, Cakir D, Beck P, Ramp L, Burgess J. Wear of enamel opposing aged zirconia. AADR/CADR Annual Meeting & Exhibition; 2012 Mar.
- Kim MJ, Oh SH, Kim JH, Ju SW, Seo DG, Jun SH, Ahn JS, Ryu JJ. Wear evaluation of the human enamel opposing different Y-TZP dental ceramics and other porcelains. Journal of Dentistry. 2012; 40(11):979–88. DOI: 10.1016/j.jdent.2012.08.004.
- Mitov G, Heintze SD, Walz S, Woll K, Muecklich F, Pospiech P. Wear behavior of dental Y-TZP ceramic against natural enamel after different finishing procedures. Dental Materials. 2012;28(8):909-918. DOI: 10.1016/j.dental.2012.04.010.
- Turp V, Tuncelli B, Sen D, Goller G. Evaluation of hardness and fracture toughness, coupled with microstructural analysis, of zirconia ceramics stored in environments with different pH values. Dental Materials Journal. 2012; 31(6):891–902. DOI: 10.4012/dmj.2012-005.
- Wang L, Liu Y, Si W, Feng H, Tao Y, Ma Z. Friction and wear behaviors of dental ceramics against natural tooth enamel. Journal of the European Ceramic Society. 2012; 32(11):2599–606. DOI: 10.1016/j.jeurceramsoc.2012.03.021.
- Janyavula S, Lawson N, Cakir D, Beck P, Ramp LC, Burgess JO. The wear of polished and glazed zirconia against enamel. Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry. 2013; 109(1):22–9. DOI: 10.1016/S0022-3913(13)60005-0.
- Mörmann WH, Stawarczyk B, Ender A, Sener B, Attin T, Mehl A. Wear characteristics of current aesthetic dental restorative CAD / CAM materials: Two-body wear, gloss retention, roughness and Martens hardness. J Mech Behav Biomed Mater. 2013; 20:113–25. DOI: 10.1016/j.jmbbm.2013.01.003.
- Stawarczyk B, Özcan M, Schmutz F, Trottmann A, Roos M, Hämmerle CHF. Two-body wear of monolithic, veneered and glazed zirconia and their corresponding enamel antagonists. Acta Odontol Scand. 2013; 71:102–12. DOI: 10.3109/00016357.2011.654248.
- Candido LM, Fais LMG, Reis JMdN, Pinelli LAP. Surface roughness and hardness of yttria stabilized zirconia (Y-TZP) after 10 years of simulated brushing. Revista de Odontologia da UNESP. 2014; 43(6):379–83.
- Park JH, Park S, Lee K, Yun KD, Lim HP. Antagonist wear of three CAD/CAM anatomic contour zirconia ceramics. Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry. 2014; 111(1):20–9. DOI: 10.1016/j.prosdent.2013.06.002.
- Sripetchdanond J, Leevailoj C. Wear of human enamel opposing monolithic zirconia, glass ceramic, and composite resin: An in vitro study. Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry. 2014:1–10. DOI: 10.1016/j.prosdent.2014.05.006.
- Verena P, Behr M, Hahnel S, Handel G, Rosentritt M. In vitro failure and fracture resistance of veneered and full-contour zirconia restorations. Journal of Dentistry. 2012; 40(11):921–8. DOI: 10.1016/j.jdent.2012.07.010.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.