Total views : 238
Study on Sustainable Hybrid Off-grid Power Supply System for Isolated Sagar Island
This paper deals with the feasibility study of Solar-Wind hybrid system of generation of electrical energy for Sagar Island. To study the prospect of a hybrid system of electrical energy generation, a MATLAB/Simulink model of Lanco Solar LSP 250-260M-60 and BWC XL.1 wind turbine based hybrid system has been built and study the feasibility with the help of Solar irradiance, wind speed and load data of a particular location of Sagar Island. The constraint due to the environment, grid-connected electrical energy supplying to the Sagar Island is cost effective and difficult to implement. At the present diesel and kerosene engine is the only option to generate electrical energy and mitigate the electrical load demand of Sagar Island. As the non-renewable source of energy diminishes day by day and it produces harmful Greenhouse Gases during the generation of electricity, researchers have a prime interest in renewable energy sources which does not produce harmful gases during the generation of electricity and save our environment. So far research has been carried out on the Solar Photovoltaic (SPV) system for the electrification of Sagar Island. Electricity generated from only Solar PV array is not reliable and not cost effective because of the availability of the solar energy all the year. Hence, in this paper, an attempt has been made to compensate the electrical energy requirement of Sagar Island through a solar wind hybrid system of power generation with the practical data of Sagar Island, obtain from NASA and Ministry of Non-conventional Energy sources. The analysis shows that the hybrid system of solar and the wind are much more reliable and cost effective compared to single units of SPV system. Beside them, the environmental effect related to Greenhouse Gases (GHG) also estimated and compared with the diesel engine generated electrical energy.
Cost, Environmental Impact, Hybrid, MATLAB/Simulink, Renewable Energy, Rural Electrification, Solar, Wind.
- Current status of rural electrification and electricity service delivery in rural areas of India. 2015. Available from: http:// www.vasudha-foundation.org/wpcontent/uploads/2) Reader Friendly Paper for USO_Status of Rural electrification status in India.pdf
- Ajao R, Ajimotokan HA, Popoola OT, Akande HF. Electric energy supply in Nigeria, Decentralized Energy Approach. Taylor and Francis Cogeneration and Distributed Generation Journal. 2009; 24(4):34–50.
- Injeti SK, Kumar NP. Optimal planning of distributed generation for improved voltage stability and loss reduction. International Journal of Computer Applications. 2011; 15(1):40–6.
- Aggarwal V, Fahey A, Freymiller HS, Huang CC, Li S, Moilanen S, Onda C, Ratledge N, Speirs S, Wong J. Rural energy alternatives in India opportunity in financing and community engagement of renewable energy micro grid project. Woodrow Wilson School for Public and International Affairs as a degree requirement for the completion of a Masters of Public Affairs; 2014 Feb.
- Mondal M, Mandal S. Remote village electrification through renewable solar energy: A case study of Sagar Island, West Bengal, India. IJES. 2013; 2(01):201–5.
- Ministry of Non-Conventional Energy Sources. Electrification of Village Ramkrishnapur; 2006 Aug.
- Geographical location of Sagar Island. 2015. Available from: www.google.co.in
- 100% household’s electrification of Sagar Island, West Bengal State Electricity Distribution Company Limited. 2015. Available from: http://www.iczmpwb.org
- NASA surface meteorology and solar energy. 2015. Available from: https://eosweb.larc.nasa.gov
- Villalva MG, Gazoli JR, Filho ER. Comprehensive approach to modeling and simulation of Photovoltaic arrays. IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics. 2009 May; 24(5):1198– 208.
- Pavankumar Reddy K, Venu Gopala Rao M. Modeling and simulation of hybrid wind solar energy system using MPPT. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Sep; 8(23). DOI: 10.17485/ijst/2015/v8i23/71277.
- Rijksuniversiteit. Developing a smart grid simulation model from an end-users perspective. [Master Thesis]. Faculty of Mathematics and Science, University of Groningen; 2014 Jan. p. 51–72.
- Young AT. Air mass and refraction. Applied Optics. 1994; 33(6):1108–10.
- High efficiency lanco solar PV mono crystalline modules (LSP 250 M). May Lanco Solar Pvt. Limited. 2011. Available from: http://www.lancosolar.com
- Haque ME, Negnevitsky M, Muttaqi KM. A novel control strategy for a variable-speed wind turbine with a permanentmagnet synchronous generator. IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications. 2010 Jan-Feb; 46(1):331–9.
- Izadbakhsh M, Rezvani A, Gandomkar, Mirsaeidi S. Dynamic analysis of PMSG Wind Turbine under variable wind speeds and load conditions in the grid connected mode. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Jul; 8(14). DOI: 10.17485/ijst/2015/v8i14/51864
- Barakat M, Elmasry S, Bahgat ME, Sayed AA. Effect of rotor current control for wound rotor induction generator on the wind turbine performance. IJPEDS. 2012; 2(2):117–26.
- Prasad RD. A case study for energy output using a single wind turbine and a hybrid system for Vadravadra site in Fiji Islands. OJPEE. 2010: 1(1):22–5.
- Georgescu M. Electrical energy control system for small power wind turbines. 15th International Research/Expert Conference Trends in the Development of Machinery and Associated Technology; Prague, Czech Republic. 2011 Sep 12-18. p. 405–8.
- Lee J, Cho W, Lee KS. Optimization of the hub height of a wind turbine. Journal of Industrial and Intelligent Information. 2014 Dec; 2(4):275–9.
- Sagrillo M. Choosing a home-sized wind generator. Home Power. The Hands-On Journal of Home-Made Power. 2002Aug-Sep; 90:50–66.
- Ramachandra TV, Jha RK, Vamsee Krishna S, Shruthi BV. Solar energy decision support system. International Journal of Sustainable Energy. 2005 Dec; 24(4):207–24.
- Sizing the battery bank for your off-grid solar power system. 2015. Available from: http://rimstar.org
- Wholesale electrical, industrial, lighting, tools, fuses, control and automation products. 2015. Available from: https:// www.platt.com
- Retail Price List: XL.1 Wind Turbine. 2015. Available from: http://physics.oregonstate.edu
- Cost of Solar Tubular GEL 6SGL200 (12V-200AH). 2015. Available from: http://www.ohmelectricals.com
- Pipattanasomporn M, Willingham M. White paper on distributed generation. Critical Infrastructure Modeling and Assessment Program (CIMAP). Virginia: Alexandria Research Institute; 2002.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.