Total views : 465
Scrutinizing Lean Thinking and Agile Methodologies from Practitioner’s Point of View
Software projects are notorious for missing deadlines, schedule slippage and budget overrun. Dynamic market also makes tough for software companies to deliver the project meeting requirements and deliver the value to client. Agile and Lean Thinking have appeared as savior for these problems. Principally, Agile Methodologies are used for increasing flexibility, delivering the software fast and Lean Thinking helps in delivering value by eliminating waste. This paper studies both Lean Thinking and Agile Methodologies to find similarities, difference from an industry practitioner's point of view. Practitioner scrutinizes both Lean Thinking and Agile Methodologies and recommends the need of a new framework that has benefits of both frame work.
Agile Methodologies, Lean Thinking, Software Engineering.
- Lycett M, Macredie RD, Patel C, Paul RJ. Migrating Agile methods to standardized development practice. IEEE Computer Magazine. 2003; 36(3):79–85.
- Mishra A, Mishra D. A curriculum for agile software development methodologies. ACM SIGSOFT Software Engineering Notes. 2011; 36(3):1–2.
- Fogelstrom N, Gorschek T, Svahnberg M, Olsson P. The impact of agile principles on market-driven software product development. Journal of Software Maintenance and Evolution: Research and Practice. 2010; 22(1):53–80.
- Gandomani TJ, Zulzalil H. Compatibility of Agile Software Development Methods and CMMI. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2013 Aug; 6(8):5089–94.
- Poppendieck M, Poppendieck T. Lean software development: An agile toolkit. Boston: Addison-Wesley; 2003.
- Poppendieck M, Poppendieck T. Implementing lean software development: From concept to cash. USA: Addison-Wesley; 2006.
- Poppendieck M, Poppendieck T. Leading lean software development: Results are not the point. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Addison-Wesley; 2010.
- Royce WW. Managing the development of large software systems: Concepts and techniques. Proc. IEEE WESCOM. 1970. p. 1–9.
- Schwaber K. Agile project management with Scrum. Redmond, Wash. USA: Microsoft Press; 2004.
- A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK Guide). Newtown Square, Pa: Project Management Institute, Inc; 2004.
- Boehm B, Biffl S, Aurum A. Value-based software engineering. New York, NY: Springer; 2005.
- Womack JP, Jones DT. The machine that changed the world. London: Simon and Schuster; 2007.
- Crosby P. Quality is Free. New York: McGraw-Hill; 1979.
- Mishra A, Mishra D. A curriculum for agile software development methodologies. Software Engineering Notes. 2011; 36(3):1–3.
- Kaushik S, Bharadwaj A, Avasthi V. Need for blending Agile Methodologies and Lean Thinking for ERP Implementation: An industry point of view. 2015 1st International Conference on Next Generation Computing Technologies (NGCT); Dehradun. 2015. p.751–5.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.