Total views : 283
Effect of Once-through and Recirculated Fluid Flow on Thermal Performance of Parabolic Dish Solar Receiver
Objectives: The effect of mass flow rate of heat transfer fluid (HTF) during once-through (OTF) and recirculation (RF) operations, through its solar receiver was analyzed in a parabolic dish (PD) collector. Methods/Statistical Analysis: Inlet temperature of HTF and mass flow rate are the most important operating parameters in solar concentrating collectors along with local solar irradiance. The solar receiver was tested on sunny days (solar beam radiation intensity in the range of 500 - 700 W/m2) in February and March 2016 at Chennai, India (Latitude: 13°N, Longitude: 80°E) with HTF mass flow rates of 25, 50, 75, 100 and 125 kg/h. Findings: The instantaneous temperature gain by the HTF was observed to be around 100°C for the OTF with 25 kg/h due to effective heat absorption than that of 40.5°C for the RF due to more heat loss. The instantaneous energy efficiency during the RF mode is around three times more than the efficiency of OTF mode. Exergy efficiency of OTF is 3.28% more than the RF due to lower exergy destruction. Application/Improvements: The once-through flow has an advantage over recirculation by the way of less thermal stress effect on the receiver and piping.
Exergy Efficiency, Once-through Flow, Parabolic Dish, Recirculation, Solar Receiver.
- Patil RJ, Awari GK, Singh MP. Experimental analysis of Scheffler water heater. Thermal Science. 2011; 15 (5):699–711.
- Sivakumar K, Krishna Mohan N, Sivaraman B. Performance Analysis of Elliptical Heat Pipe Solar Collector. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2011 Jan, 4(1):4–7.
- Koua KB, Gbaha P, Koffi EPM, Fassinou WF, Toure S. Modelling of thermal behaviour of a direct solar drier possessing a chimney: Application to the drying of cassava. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2011 Dec; 4(12):1609–18.
- Hematian A, Ajabshirchi Y, Abbas BA. Experimental analysis of flat plate solar air collector efficiency. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2012; 5(8):3183–7.
- Panwar NL, Kothari S, Kaushik S. Energetic and exergetic analysis of three different solar cookers. Journal of Renewable and Sustainable Energy. 2013; 5.
- Mawire A, Phori A, Taole S. Performance comparison of thermal energy storage oils for solar cookers during charging. Applied Thermal Engineering. 2014; 73:1323–31.
- Anderson TN. Natural convection heat transfer in V-trough solar concentrators. Solar Energy. 2013; 95:224–8.
- Mawire A, Taole HS. Experimental energy and exergy performance of a solar receiver for a domestic parabolic dish concentrator for teaching purposes. Energy for Sustainable Development. 2014; 19:162–9.
- Padilla R, Martinez A, Quiroga A. Exergy analysis of parabolic trough solar receiver. Applied Thermal Engineering. 2014; 67(1–2):579–86.
- Pandey GK, Singh AP. Energy conservation and efficient data collection in WSN-ME: A survey. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Aug; 8(17):1–11. DOI: 10.17485/ijst/2015/v8i17/68648.
- Thamizharasan V. Energy conservation in urban transport. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2014 Jun; 7(S5):51–5.
- Reddy KP, Rao MVG. Modelling and simulation of hybrid wind solar energy system using MPPT. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015; 8(23):1–5. DOI: 10.17485/ijst/2015/v8i23/71277.
- Revati D, Natarajan E. Enhancing the efficiency of solar cell by air cooling. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016; 9(5):1–6. DOI: 10.17485/ijst/2016/v9i5/87274.
- Senthil R, Cheralathan M. Effect of non-uniform temperature distribution on surface absorption receiver in parabolic dish solar concentrator. Thermal Science. 2015:1–12.
- Senthil R, Cheralathan M. Effect of PCM in a solar receiver on thermal performance of parabolic dish collector. Thermal Science. 2016:1–12.
- Duffie JA, Beckman WA. Solar energy of thermal processes. John Wiley and Sons Inc., New York; 2006. p. 1–928.
- Petela R. Exergy of undiluted thermal radiation. Solar Energy. 2003:469–88.
- MacPhee D, Dincer I. Thermal modeling of a packed bed thermal energy storage system during charging. Applied Thermal Engineering. 2009; 29(4):695–705.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.